Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Alpha Stage  (Read 1976 times)

Malacus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2010, 12:42:16 am
  • DANCE!
Alpha Stage
« on: April 07, 2006, 07:08:39 pm »
I don't have any new pictures, but you can see what I'm working with in this post. I gutted it yesterday (keeping everything but the PCB under the coin-box) and got it into what I call it's first alpha, since I've only got a 15" monitor in it, and it doesn't have a real control panel, I'm using a Pelican Wireless Xbox Arcade Stick for now, which will also be my third player (and fourth if I buy another one) when I'm finished.

I'm wanting to go with a very simple look, a two player setup with 6-buttons each and two start buttons, no admin buttons as I'm keeping the keyboard behind the coin-door in case I need to change something. Also, I don't know about you, but I can't easily use my left hand for some of the fighters out there, so I'm making the second player southpaw. (as seen in the crappy attached picture)

Whoops, the power's about to go out, so I'll make this a quick one.

-Mal
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 06:12:18 am by Peale »
~Classic Gaming Since 1983~

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 05:00:22 pm
  • Even Jesus loves Donkey Kong!
    • MYX Digital Blog
Re: Alpha Stage
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 10:08:43 am »
As a southpaw, I made a southpaw set up when I built my desktop CP. I have always regretted it. I am a lefty, but have always played righty as that is how most games were set up. I could never get my brain to make the switch. You might want to think it through to be sure. At the point that you have spent that much time getting it totally finished and start playing it and go crap this sux, is a bad point to realize you should have gone with 2 right hand set ups. (sorry about the rediculous run on sentance).

Just speaking from my own personal experience.

Game on man
M    Y    X

BLACKOUT  - Finally rewritten - http://blog.myxdigital.com/
Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

Malacus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2010, 12:42:16 am
  • DANCE!
Re: Alpha Stage
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 04:36:02 pm »
I was playing a bit last night, and I think I tend to agree with you, it was a LONG time ago when I enjoyed the left handed style, and I realized that its not that bad using the left hand on the stick, and I didn't find it difficult at all.

So, yes, I think I'll be rethinking that design, especially since a whole 3 lefties will ever be playing the machine.

But, in keeping with my 'classic' design, I'm mounting Xbox control ports behind the coin-door (or somewhere else) so third and fourth players can be added easily, wireless being the ideal configuration.

-Mal
~Classic Gaming Since 1983~