Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Asteroids (delux) conversion to switcing power supply?  (Read 4220 times)

Pipercub

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2009, 10:59:48 pm
  • My living room is a F'n arcade
    • Subaru Brat
Asteroids (delux) conversion to switcing power supply?
« on: March 04, 2005, 08:31:44 am »
I lost a cap or two in my asteroids delux PS and now it has a hum in the speaker and I want to replace the big linear with a switcher. Has anyone done this?

If I have a switching instead of linear, do I still need an isolation transformer on the monitor?

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
Re: Asteroids (delux) conversion to switcing power supply?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 08:38:02 am »
If I have a switching instead of linear, do I still need an isolation transformer on the monitor?

You always need isolation.  The power supply doesn't have anything to do with isolation.

Pipercub

• Offline Offline
    • Subaru Brat
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 09:02:41 am »
I was wondering about that because several of the newer monitors I bought stated they needed no isolation transformer because they had a switching power supply, that made me wonder if a switcher on one of the two components eliminates the need for an iso transformer.

dirt

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 11:06:57 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 09:08:44 am »
the newer monitors dont need an iso because they are made a little different than the older ones. the power supply has nothing to do with it. i have never done the conversion on an asteroids but as long as you dont need any voltages other than 5-,5+,12 it should work out.

dirt
WANTED: NINTENDO CABINETS WORKING OR NOT

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 09:47:41 am »
Ummmm......Asteroid Deluxe uses a black & white vector monitor not a color monitor. Vector monitors run off of a special transformer winding on that giant transformer in the bottom of the cabinet. All vector (a.k.a. "X-Y") monitors operate that way. There are NO brand new vector monitors manufactured today. Did someone try to sell you a color RASTER type monitor to put in there? If so then it ain't gonna work.

The Atari Audio/Regulator power supply circuit boards also contain your audio amplifier circuitry so trying to convert to a switching power supply would be alot more involved. Why not just get Bob Roberts' Atari Audio/Regulator power supply rebuild kit and fix the existing power supply board?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 09:59:10 am by Ken Layton »

Pipercub

• Offline Offline
    • Subaru Brat
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 10:55:32 am »
I am aware of the differences between X-Y and raster but I didn't know about it drawing from the large transformer directly. I just got ahold of the schematic. I didn't know bob roberts had a kit, I am checking into that now!

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 12:07:27 pm »
Do the kit. It's about $7, and very easy to do.
NO MORE!!