Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My Fully modded NES  (Read 47511 times)

AlanS17

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
Re: My Fully modded NES
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2005, 12:32:57 am »
I don't have the skills to pull off a stunt like that with a DC. However, I have 5 NES's here at home, and a mini-itx board not going to use. Maybe it's about time I got started!

spiffyshoes

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2015, 01:24:46 pm
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2005, 12:16:53 pm »
Or you could go all out and get a slot-loading drive. Slide the CDs in just like cartridges.

Oooooohhhh, you could even mount the drive in the original NES spring tray for even more stupidity... I mean nostalgia!

I wasn't aware they made Slot Loading GD Roms for DreamCast.  If you meant to just hook up a PC Slot loading CD Drive then you wouldn't be able to play retail copies of DreamCast games because they come on GD-Roms.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2005, 12:39:03 pm »
But if it could interface with the Dreamcast then I'm guessing you could chip the dreamcast to make it able to play backups on CD-R  (or preferably DVD-R).
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2005, 12:41:45 pm »
The DC does play backups on CDR without mod.

spiffyshoes

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2005, 05:58:50 pm »
Well yeah but is every DC game you have a back up?

JB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2005, 10:56:01 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2005, 10:02:38 pm »
Or you could go all out and get a slot-loading drive. Slide the CDs in just like cartridges.

Oooooohhhh, you could even mount the drive in the original NES spring tray for even more stupidity... I mean nostalgia!

I wasn't aware they made Slot Loading GD Roms for DreamCast.  If you meant to just hook up a PC Slot loading CD Drive then you wouldn't be able to play retail copies of DreamCast games because they come on GD-Roms.
If you read the post I was replying to, he'd moved on to making a mini-ITX or PS2 machine. MiniITX is what I was thinking of, as I gather using a standard drive on any console(XBox excepted) is something of a pain in the butt.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2005, 09:26:49 am »

I don't have any backups.  The point was that it shouldn't really matter.  You can make your own backups.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2005, 02:21:25 pm »

I have a CD burner.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2005, 03:13:41 pm »
I forge my backups from raw materials with a hammer and anvil.  It takes a while but my CDs NEVER scratch.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2005, 05:42:15 pm »
I don't know how useful it would be anyway.  If I did this I would ABSOLUTELY wire it to use regular NES controllers instead of the cramp-inducing dreamcast controllers -- for comfort, but mostly for authenticity.  That would pretty much make it useless for playing Dreamcast games I guess.

Best Kid iPad Apps

Daniel270

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2011, 12:34:14 pm
  • Older Than PONG!!!
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2005, 08:51:12 pm »
I'm guessing that to use a PS1, it would have to be modded? and if so, which mod would be needed?
I Haven't Lost My Mind, It's Backed Up On Disk Somewhere.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2005, 08:40:34 am »
What's the point of putting a PS1 in there?

spiffyshoes

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2005, 11:23:17 am »
Well there is an NES emulator for PS1 but I don't remember it working very well.  It had allot of slow down and the sound was glitchy.  Maybe they have made some improvements to it since I last tried it out.

daywane

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 07:18:07 am
  • GRRRR!
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2005, 12:52:05 pm »
it might be nes works well.
dramcast might be better .
I use the ps1 version at the lake.

Flappz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2013, 06:42:37 am
  • My 6 Year Old Plays ATARI BITCHEZ!
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2005, 11:13:08 am »
Does Nester 6.0 Support the Light Gun? CAn I jsut add the light gun files from 7 to 6?  I like the menu from 6 better than 7,  is there a way to just change the menu in 7 to the one from 6?

daywane

• Offline Offline
  • GRRRR!
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2005, 01:33:49 pm »
I'm guessing that to use a PS1, it would have to be modded? and if so, which mod would be needed?

I would use the $8.00 chip (stealth chip) I think it was like $8.00 out of canada.
been a few years since I moded a ps1.  8 wires if I remember right. was not to hard to do. 1 wire was a pain but I did it and my hands were shaking bad

Flappz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2013, 06:42:37 am
  • My 6 Year Old Plays ATARI BITCHEZ!
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2005, 03:05:28 pm »
Heres the Sinny homies!!!
I have many backups of Dreamcast games, but you cannot just burn them and they will play.  But you DO NOT have to buy a $5 mod chip either.   I have tested many differend games with many different brands of software and there is only 1  that actually works for dreamcast games. Thant is Alcohol 120% ( not 52% ).  People will tell you to use Disk Juggler but it does not work I have wasted many cd's on that stupid program,  Alcohol burns DJ images no problem whatsoever.  Roxio 6 and Higher is the best for burning XBOX bac-ups, I have done a few dreamcast games, but not all of them were a success.  The XBOX images burned with no problem though. So Alcohol 120% is the BEST!!!!  Even with the NesterDC ( NES Emulator ) I used Disk Juggler & Nero and every time no matter waht I did different it did NOT work.  The first time with Alcohol 120%  it came out perfect!  DAmmit I wasted 20 cd-r's on Nero and DJ!!!!

Peace out Ninja Nerdz!

Flappz

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2005, 03:07:36 pm »

I have no idea what that guy just said.

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2005, 04:21:11 pm »
Heres the Sinny homies!!!
I have many backups of Dreamcast games, but you cannot just burn them and they will play.  But you DO NOT have to buy a $5 mod chip either.   I have tested many differend games with many different brands of software and there is only 1  that actually works for dreamcast games. Thant is Alcohol 120% ( not 52% ).  People will tell you to use Disk Juggler but it does not work I have wasted many cd's on that stupid program,  Alcohol burns DJ images no problem whatsoever.  Roxio 6 and Higher is the best for burning XBOX bac-ups, I have done a few dreamcast games, but not all of them were a success.  The XBOX images burned with no problem though. So Alcohol 120% is the BEST!!!!  Even with the NesterDC ( NES Emulator ) I used Disk Juggler & Nero and every time no matter waht I did different it did NOT work.  The first time with Alcohol 120%  it came out perfect!  DAmmit I wasted 20 cd-r's on Nero and DJ!!!!

Peace out Ninja Nerdz!

Flappz

There is a lot of bad info in this post.  You can certainly use Discjuggler to burn Dreamcast backups.  I've also used Nero with no problems whatsoever.  Alcohol 120% is great, but you don't HAVE to use it.. you just apparently have trouble getting other programs to work. 

Also, during the time I was in the Dreamcast scene, Roxio was practically the worst choice you could make to burn copies.  Dreamcast is concerned with a quality image, slow burn speed, and quality media.  For the most part, burning application means absolutely nothing.

As for Xbox games, again... you are much more concerned with image, burn speed and media quality.  Roxio is still an inferior choice IMHO, but they have gotten better.  You can use Alcohol 120%, Nero, RecordNow Max, and numerous other programs to burn Xbox backups with zero problems at all.

I would also recommend Alcohol 120% to people, but not because its the "only thing that works"  You are having some troubles with your system, settings, or frankly... its a case of PEBKAC.  You can most certainly use almost any burning programs to create Xbox backups, and there are quite a few good reliable choices for Dreamcast as well.

Later Ninja Nerd.
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

spiffyshoes

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2005, 12:54:16 am »
it might be nes works well.

Wow thanks for the tip.

daywane

• Offline Offline
  • GRRRR!
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2005, 08:49:38 am »
ooooooooo!
 I want one  8)
change that. I want 2  ;)

spiffyshoes

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2005, 11:56:31 am »
If I get time I'll make you a pair.   ;)

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2005, 12:29:25 pm »
The only problem with doing it that way is that the pads can't plug in nicely to the front of the Nintendo.  That might be a decent tradeoff if you could manage to get a slot-loading CDROM drive in there so you could play your Playstation games on it too, but if changing discs is excessively difficult there's not much reason to have the capability of playing Playstation games IMO.

Best Kid iPad Apps

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2005, 01:37:18 pm »

At which point you may as well just keep your PS1 intact.  All you have there is a PS1 with a different case.

spiffyshoes

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2005, 05:38:48 pm »
Well it isn't like you didn't have to modify the controller ports area on the NES case to fit the Atari Cables in there any way.  So what is the big difference if you put some Playstation Ports on it instead of Atari ones.  The advantage would be that you could use any playstatoin controller and even plug in a lightgun.  Although the playstation nes emulator doesn't currently support lightguns it might eventually.

Who cares about playing Playstation games on it?  I mean I thought the whole point was to have something that looked like an NES and could play every NES game.  It would be dedicated to playing NES games.  I don't see anything special about playing Playstation/DreamCast games on a NES. 

All you have there is a PS1 with a different case.

I don't see how that is any different than putting a dreamcast in a NES case.  All you would have is a Dreamcast with a different case.  I thought that was the point.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2005, 06:36:18 pm »

No, it's not the point.  The point was that he had a dedicated NES emulator running in an NES.  With the NES case closed, he would not be swapping in DC games, particulary using a hacked NES controller.

The point was to have a reliable NES with all games on one medium.  There is nothing in that design that suggests playing DC games.

spiffyshoes

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2005, 07:42:39 pm »
Oh ok sorry, I thought your comment was directed at me.

dogg0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2014, 01:18:29 pm
  • ALL? no ALL!!!
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2005, 12:32:17 pm »
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 01:07:10 pm by dogg0 »
thou shalt not supress flatulence

-the bassmaster general

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2005, 01:20:25 pm »
???

What do you mean fit everything inside a controller?  He just rewired a regular NES controller to be able to plug into a Playstation as far as I can tell.  That's cool, and all, for playing an NES emulator on a PS1, but if you're going to gut a PS1 and put it inside a nintendo case to make it look all authentic I'd rather have the rewiring done between the controller ports and the PS1 guts inside the box so a regular NES controller can plug into a regular NES controller port on the front of the system.  See, that way it looks and acts just like the original (minus blowing on the contacts and pressing reset a couple dozen times to make a game work).  Unless you retain the ability to play PS1 games (which you really don't unless you get a slot or tray loading drive) I don't see any reason to have PS1 ends on the controller.

Don't get me wrong, those controllers are really cool, but they're cool for allowing you to play the games as they were meant to be played when using a PS1 in a regular PS1 case.  But they don't seem appropriate for a project like this.  They only take away from the authenticity without providing any positive tradeoff.

Best Kid iPad Apps

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2005, 01:36:33 pm »

Yeah, if I do this, and I may, I'll be rewiring the controller port and using the original female NES port.  That way I don't have to mod NES controllers.  The only visible difference would be a new colored power LED.

spiffyshoes

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2005, 01:49:34 pm »
Shmokes:

Ok shmokes I don't know what your talking about when you say use the origonal NES ports.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2005, 01:56:48 pm »
Well I know it's possible to wire it to a parallel port on a Mini-ITX board cos this guy did it on his project.   I see what you mean about this project being done with Atari cables, which I hadn't noticed.  But even this seems like a better solution for the very fact that I hadn't noticed.  They are about the same size as the original controller ports so it seems that they can be mounted up without taking much away from the overall effect.

Best Kid iPad Apps

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2005, 02:00:51 pm »
Bah, the NES doesn't even use all 7 pins.

spiffyshoes

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2005, 02:17:02 pm »
Yes but he used a PC and not a Playstation nor DreamCast.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 05:30:00 pm by spiffyshoes »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2005, 02:19:34 pm »

Yep, I noticed the Atari ports right away... but it IS a Dreamcast.  Are you looking at the right pictures?

spiffyshoes

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2005, 02:23:18 pm »
Yes I was looking at the right pictures.  I don't know of any DreamCast with a Parellel port.  (hint: there was a link to the pictures in shmokes post)  ;)

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2005, 02:28:06 pm »

Ah, different one.  All you guys with run-on paragraphs and wonky punctuation make things hard to follow sometimes.   :laugh:

tommy

« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2005, 06:38:54 pm »
This dosen't really fit in here but thought it was cool.

daywane

• Offline Offline
  • GRRRR!
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2005, 08:12:28 pm »
That is neat. The playstaion pad is a good pad to hack

spiffyshoes

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2005, 10:27:37 am »

Yeah, if I do this, and I may, I'll be rewiring the controller port and using the original female NES port.