Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: NEO GEO MVS Sound Issues  (Read 11394 times)

raventy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2016, 05:55:47 pm
NEO GEO MVS Sound Issues
« on: February 12, 2005, 04:13:01 am »
Hey guys,
I was installing a Neo Geo MVS SLOT 1 board into my Mortal Kombat machine. Everything went fine except for the sound. Whenever the game is on, the speakers emit a ccuuussssshhhhhhhh kindove sound.(You know the sound that you hear when you turn your volume up really high with nothing playing). The game is still able to emit sound from them when played but ontop of its sound you have the ccuussshhhhhh sound thats ALWAYS on. Some MVS pin outs ive found said that it uses the standard JAMMA connector no modifications yet the MVS PIN OUT I found bellow shows the speakers are set up differently. Anyone have any idea?

I belive THIS: http://www.arcadedocs.com/vidmanuals/N/neogeo_mv1fz_manual.pdf is the board I have incase that helps at all. Maybe my board requires the speakers set up differently on the JAMMA? Also: I noticed that my power supply seems to be making the SAME noise that is coming out of the speakers!

D_Zoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2010, 03:59:37 pm
  • Sorry if I get any spit on you...
Re: NEO GEO MVS Sound Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 10:25:50 am »
If I recall,  the 1 slot boards were fully Jamma compliant, including the speaker wiring (single, mono speaker).   It was the multi-slot boards that used two speakers and required some modifications to a standard Jamma connector.

If the power supply is making noise, that's not usually good.  Has this board been checked in another cab?  Have you verified proper voltage at the edge connector?

D

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 12:07:04 pm »
Since the NeoGeo pinout indicates Left and Right speakers try connection either one to the speaker and the other side to ground rather then using the L/R to a single mono speaker.  Just a small test that might help out.

BobA

tommy

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 01:47:34 pm »
i think i had that problem a while back when i was into neo , i think i needed a better ground

raventy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 01:55:20 pm »
I hooked my Mortal Kombat board back into the machine and the issue goes away. I also disconnected the speakers and the PSU STILL makes the sound so it must not be speaker related. Does MK have something different setup on the JAMMA connector that im not seeing? Or different voltages somewhere? hhhmmm tommy- do u remember if ur PSU was making a sound at all? Also if so, how would I get a better ground to it?

tommy

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 02:07:05 pm »
my prob was the sound was working but sounded low even at a high volume  i would try attaching   your negetive to your ground not to the speaker but like i said i dont remember what i did to fix that prob it was a while ago

tommy

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 02:22:26 pm »
all jamma harneses are common but that doesnt mean all the pins are in place to contact your pcb

raventy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 02:58:33 pm »
hhmm well all the lines are hooked up. Its odd cuz when teh MK board is in the PSU makes NO sound and everything works fine.. when the MVS board is in it makes the sound... when NO BOARD is in and teh jamma ISNT connected to ANYTHING it makes the sound! Anyone have any idea whats up with THAT???

Goz

• KOTA
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2020, 02:23:18 am
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 06:54:17 pm »
I'd had a similar issue with an MVS board in the past. Have you tried it with multiple MVS carts?

What it turned out to be in my case was oxidation on the contacts for the JAMMA edge connector. Try giving the JAMMA edge connector on your MVS1 a once over with a eraser like the ones our kids use in school and then try again.

This problem can also occur at the MVS cart level. This is why I asked initially if it happens with multiple carts. This is why alot of people in the Neo Geo world use "Shock Boxes" for storing the MVS carts.

Hope this helps,

-Goz

Brad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2018, 05:43:23 pm
    • www.emuchrist.org
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 05:03:36 am »
I agree with the last post. I was getting both sound AND video issueson my MVS cab. Cleaned the cart and board pins and it fixed it no problem.

Brad

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 01:27:55 pm »
All the Neo Geo one slots are JAMMA. The 2, 4, and 6 slots are NOT Jamma, but rather they use the "MVS" standard. Visit www.hardmvs.com for more information.

raventy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 01:49:50 pm »
hhmmm but the thing is... even when the JAMMA connector is UNPLUGGED(NO game attached) the PSU still makes the noise! Only with the MK board in does it not make the sound! Hhhhmmm I mean the only difference I see between the MK and the 1slot MVS is the -5V line.. what is my power supply retarded and NEED load on -5v???

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2005, 07:31:58 pm »
Your power supply may need servicing. It might have some bad capacitors or bad solder joints.

raventy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2005, 10:05:16 pm »
man its so weird that it works fine with MK board in... its like the power supply has grown custom to the MK and wont accept anything else! XD Being as they are $25 bucks.. I think ill probably just buy a new power supply rather than dealing with the hastle of opening this one up and trying to repair it. Do you think using the machine with its current messed up power supply could cause damage to it? I wouldnt want to risk damaging the MVS stuff I just got and hooked up to it. :)

tommy

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 12:10:22 am »
id say if one board works and another dosent then its the pcb or how its hookedup, its not fully compatible to you cab in some way  are those the only 2 pcbs you have

raventy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2005, 01:41:12 am »
I have a few other machines whos boards I could rip out.. but on some of them the JAMMA connector has gotten weak and I really dont want to risk breaking it and having to get a new. I have a SF board aroudn somewhere I could also test with.. but the thing is that the PSU makes this nosie with NO thats right NO board in! so How could It bet a game board issue if it does it with NO board in? lol i think my psu just hates me XD

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2005, 11:07:31 am »
have you tried your MVS board in another machine?

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

D_Zoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2010, 03:59:37 pm
  • Sorry if I get any spit on you...
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2005, 01:20:31 pm »
Well, if the PS is making noise with no load, then it probably is flaking out.

Here's something you can try to test the theory....

Without a board installed/plugged in,
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 01:22:29 pm by D_Zoot »

raventy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2005, 01:44:12 am »
excelent idea!!! When I get back home this weekend ill give a shot and let ya know if it worked! :)