Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Shielding Speakers from Monitor  (Read 6197 times)

liche

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2007, 08:05:18 am
  • This is my BOOMSTICK!
Shielding Speakers from Monitor
« on: October 20, 2002, 03:30:21 pm »
My current MAME cabinet is using an old TAITO cabinet.  There will be a 19" Wells U3100 VGA monitor installed vertically in the cabinet and I will be running audio 6.5" component speakers installed in ceiling above the monitor (in position of original speakers in TAITO cabinet)

However, these new speakers I have have pretty hefty magnets in them, and i haven't installed them yet in the cabinet, but i'm sure they'll probably react to the monitor in some way especially due to the close proximity to them.  

My question is, has anyone else had much experience in magnetically shielding these speakers??

I have a large amount of mu metal but haven' t thought of a way to use it most effectively yet.  I was thinking maybe if I just cut a sheet with the two 6.5" holes for the speaker that this would be enough as I don't think there are strong magnetic flux lines pointing in the direction of the speaker cones.

Any help or advice appreciated.
liche

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
Re:Shielding Speakers from Monitor
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2002, 03:51:51 pm »
I am doing the same with my new cabinet.  This was going into the write-up of my new cabinet, but since I don't know when I'll ever finish it....

I epoxied cancellation (bucking) magnets to the rear of the speakers by reversing the poles.  This is common for shielding speakers in the home theaters by those who build their own speaker enclosures.

You can get these magnets pretty cheap.  I paid about $.70 each for them at www.partsexpress.com.  They work pretty well, but you can still see some interference if you place them up against the tube.  They work fine for me when installed under the marquee, though.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2002, 05:50:52 pm »
I am doing the same with my new cabinet.  This was going into the write-up of my new cabinet, but since I don't know when I'll ever finish it....

I epoxied cancellation (bucking) magnets to the rear of the speakers by reversing the poles.  This is common for shielding speakers in the home theaters by those who build their own speaker enclosures.

You can get these magnets pretty cheap.  I paid about $.70 each for them at www.partsexpress.com.  They work pretty well, but you can still see some interference if you place them up against the tube.  They work fine for me when installed under the marquee, though.

Got a partsexpress part number?  I love parts express.  I built my sub using the 10" titanic from there.  GREAT sub (it's the one parts express uses in their kits too).  Part number #295-412
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=8973642&St=2272&St2=-65811216&St3=83786860&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=117656&DID=7
« Last Edit: October 20, 2002, 06:05:13 pm by SirPoonga »

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2002, 05:59:18 pm »
Yeah, here's the number 249-325.  I see they are a little more expensive now @ $.90 ea.  I remember now that when I bought mine, they were on sale in one of their online flyers.

I agree, Parts Express is a great place for lots of little things, and they also have an excellent audiophile selection.

liche

• Offline Offline
  • This is my BOOMSTICK!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2002, 10:49:55 am »
So if i use a bucking magnet, which side should it be installed?

For cancellation i would think install it so the repulsion is the greatest in respect to the speaker magnet??  Is this correct?

Thanks again.

L

ashardin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2007, 07:43:09 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2002, 12:37:40 pm »
Liche,

I think I am using the exact same setup as you with the Taito cabinet.  I am using a 21 inch monitor and some hefty 6 1/2 inch auto sound coaxials and I had zero problem with the magnet from the speaker and the monitor.   Try it first before researching solutions.  You might not even have a problem.

liche

• Offline Offline
  • This is my BOOMSTICK!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2002, 01:00:00 pm »
Thanks.  Yes, possibly we are.  I have my 6.5 inch speakers mounted in the same locations as the original stock TAITO speakers with the tweeters mounted a bit higher up underneath the marquee.  I haven't mounted my monitor yet (so hopefully there won't be a problem afterall), but I know these 6.5 inch speakers wreak havoc on my computer monitor if they are within a few feet of it  ! ! ! !

I'm hoping for the best.

L