Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 2 Track Balls - Worth it?  (Read 3583 times)

Leo Sump

• Trade Count: (0)
2 Track Balls - Worth it?
« on: May 14, 2002, 09:09:37 pm »
I'm in the planning stages and I wonder if two trackballs are worth it.  The only game that springs to mind that can take advantage of it is Marble Madness.  I'm sure there are others (anyone mind posting them?  :))  Anyway, is it worth the expense / CP real-estate to put two trackballs in the cabinet?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
Re: 2 Track Balls - Worth it?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2002, 09:59:38 pm »
Sorry to just jump on the back of you thread but I'm also in early stages and have decided on a 2nd cp to house trackballs and spinners.

How many buttons do the games with trackballs need?
How many spinners would be worthwhile - do any games need more than 2?  (Should I be looking somewhere in particular that has all this info)

Thanks for any help
Craig

Dillthegreat

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2002, 10:38:03 pm »
i got a few that use a track ball for example ..
tee'd off  uses one ,
super pool III( ithink) uses it and a few other pool games,
tri-sports bowling uses one .

These are the only that come to mind of course marble madness too ..

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 05:06:25 am
  • Projects: Centipede extended, Asteroids
    • Carlos' Centipede-extended
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2002, 01:49:57 am »
I considered this, too, unfortunately I can't find my old threat anymore, seems to be lost in this board. There was a complete list of all 2-trackballs-games in it, maybe I can find the list when I'm at home.

I remember Rampart which even supports 3 of them, and there were some shooters and many sportsgames.

Well, I don't like sportsgames at all, so for me it`d have only been for Marble Madness & Centipede84 ??? Don't know the name anymore, but it was a 2-games-prototype featuring a horizontal Centipde-Version you could play with 2 players.

As you can imagine I left it with one trackball, it's not worth the effort for me. If you like sportsgames though, it may make sense for you.

jerryjanis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2023, 01:56:44 am
  • Skate or Die!!!
    • Jake's Joystick
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2002, 11:38:52 am »
Yeah...  Rampart supports 3 trackballs, Marble Madness supports 2.

A friend of mine is always arguing that there's no reason to play Marble Madness as a two player game.

I took note of a few games that people mentioned in another thread (some of these may by all means be inaccurate).  I also did a search through KLOV to see what I could find.  I skipped some of the sports games - I'm not that big of a fan of them.

Some of these may be wrong...  Some games may be missing.  If anyone knows any other, that would be great!

Sonic Arcade - 3 simultaneous players
Dual mouse support for Lightgun games
Spiker/2 Trackball
Goalie Ghost/2 Trackball
Atari Football/2 Trackball
4 trackballs for 4 Trackball Atari Football.
Atari soccer/4 Trackball
Atari Baseball/2 Trackball - Cocktail
Arcade Classics (Atari - unreleased) - 2 player super centipede/missile command 2, it appears.  3 BUTTONS!
ATAXX - 2 trackball
Blades of Steel - 2 trackball, 3 BUTTONS!
Boot Camp - 2 Trackball
Cabal - 2 Trackball
Gotcha - 2 Trackball
Gridiron - 2 Trackball
Gridiron Fight - 2 Trackball(cocktail)
Missile Command 2 - 2 Trackball
Tehkan World Cup - 2 Trackball
Track And Field - 2 TrackBall
Virtual Pool - 2 Trackball

COULD 3 or 4 trackballs be used with MAME currently?  Has it been done?  Or is it only accepting of 2 trackballs?  I know that it's been a bit of a pain to get 2 trackballs operating...  It's particularly difficult because I keep playing Marble Madness instead of trying to get the 2nd player attached.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2002, 03:31:38 pm »
COULD 3 or 4 trackballs be used with MAME currently?  Has it been done?  Or is it only accepting of 2 trackballs?  I know that it's been a bit of a pain to get 2 trackballs operating...  It's particularly difficult because I keep playing Marble Madness instead of trying to get the 2nd player attached.

Both windows versions of Analog+ should do up to four USB trackballs on win98 or winMe.   I've only tested 3 trackballs, and only use 2 regularly, though.  

In winXP and win2000 all the trackballs will control one player.  Same with standard mame & any windows OS.

Dos mame only does 2 trackballs, either both serial, or one serial and one PS/2.

*edit*
check my sig, below, for a link to Analog+
Robin
Knowledge is Power