Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: need help on which points to solder on DC AstroPad  (Read 2046 times)

benten

• Trade Count: (0)
need help on which points to solder on DC AstroPad
« on: May 15, 2002, 11:20:11 am »
i'm starting to work on the Desktop arcade stick, what i want to do is to have the both DC, psx controller hook to the arcade stick

i opened up a DC astro pad to see what inside, beside the up/d/l/r and a,b,x,y i couln't fingure out where to solder for the left and right trigger, also where the ground point is.  if anyone know to to please help me.  I saw a couple site with dc pad hacks, still i don't know what to do with AstroPad.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

tom61

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2017, 12:46:56 am
Re: need help on which points to solder on DC Astr
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2002, 12:07:55 pm »
The L and R triggers are either Hall Effect (use magnets) or potentiometer based, not easy to hack for the inexperienced.  The Astropad may not have a single ground, I've come across a few DC pads that don't.

Its recommended you get either a MadCatz (perferably the white one), or a Quantum Fighterpad.  Both are quite easy to hack.  The MadCatz brand pads have easy solder points, easy to find grounds, and there are several guides out there for them (note: the clear and white pads are slightly different inside). The Quantum Fighterpads have wires going to everything (so it's possible to just splice wires and not have to solder), and a common ground.

benten

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2002, 12:19:31 pm »
ya, i kinda thought of buy the madcatz too, just tried to give it a shot.   Thanks for the reply tom61, preciate it man

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2002, 10:46:55 am »
I'm not sure the Astropad even uses hall effect sensors (maybe not).  Either way, you can still just ground out one of the pins on the sensor (or on the pot if its not hall effect) and acheive the same results.

Here is the page on hacking the hall effect sensor of the original DC pad: http://www.mameworld.net/pc2jamma/arc_dc4.html

-Dave