Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: George Bush spends $40,000,000 on his inauguration party.  (Read 7473 times)

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 04:54:36 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
Re: George Bush spends $40,000,000 on his inauguration party.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 09:19:54 am »
and we aren't invited..... :(
some of that money belongs to US....  :P
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

mr.Curmudgeon

• It's going to hurt your brain. A lot.
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 07:15:49 pm
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 09:33:56 am »

Personally, I find it extremely ironic that Bush chooses to mouth platitudes about freedom, in an area with a 30 mile no-fly zone, anti-aircraft guns, roof-top snipers, and military barricades. He's also headed an administration that has given us the Patriot Act and pushed for a constitutional amendment to restrict the rights of a broad swath of Americans.

I also found it to be in extemely bad taste to have such a lavish celebration when we've got people dying by the day in Iraq because they are forced to use unarmored humvees. There is no two-ways about it, I would have had so much more respect for Bush had he contributed a portion of that money to support the troops fighting in *his* war. As much as I'd like to see Kerry send loads of money, it wasn't Kerry that ultimate put these men/women in harms way and it wasn't Kerry wining and dining his fat-cat friends in Washington last night.

Furthermore, why does he talk about Democracy as if it's some kind of disease, like small pox, that can be spread throughout the world. Democracy is a particapatory system, and as we're learning in Iraq, is *not* something you can force upon people with the barrel of a gun.

I also, personally despise the notion that he would seek to divine the word of God, and purport to use that as a foundation for his policies. I fear we're going to see an even further erosion of the highly essential seperation of church and state.

All in all, everything he mentioned in his address seemed vague and unrealistic, just like his promises in every other address he's ever given. Does anyone remember the loads of money we were going to pledge to fight aids in Africa? What about the development of fuel-cell driven automobiles? or going to Mars? Oh, and the horrible nemesis we face in Steroid abuse?

*Some of this I posted in another thread, but I feel it's worth repeating.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 09:44:28 am by mr.Curmudgeon »

Arcadiac

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2020, 01:26:31 am
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 12:17:38 pm »
From Dictionary.com--

plu

versapak

• Somewhere between a block of wood and a monkey
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2020, 02:42:43 pm
  • I am t3h GAY!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 12:48:00 pm »

« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 12:52:05 pm by versapak »

JCKnife

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2008, 09:41:57 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 12:51:42 pm »
[Nelson]Ha Ha![/Nelson]

More lefties whining in their wheat germ. The inauguration was paid for with private funds. If you'd like to add up how much of that could be going to tsunami relief or humvee armament, why don't you whine after the Golden Globes, the Grammys, the NFL, NBA, NHL and anyone else having a good time with millions and millions of dollars changing hands. American goes forward, life goes on, hippies wail. It's all good.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 12:57:43 pm »
Why is Optimus Prime standing behind Pat Sajak?

Hoagie_one

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 12:36:28 pm
  • Um....whats a cabinet
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 01:04:47 pm »
It's Ok to throw a party, but as a token of good will, he should of said, a portion of money used to throw his party will be donated to our troops or tsunami relief of something

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 01:42:30 pm »
Is this an unusually expensive inaugeration party?  I haven't seen anything that compares it with the usual amount spent (admittedly, I haven't looked).  By the way, I think the city or Washinton DC is being required to foot the $12 million bill for security for the gala.  That would be tax payer money.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Gunstar Hero

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2014, 01:51:17 am
  • Back in action!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 01:49:20 pm »
Yep. A tad too much decadance for a president that has thousands of his countrymen in military action methinks.

The last thing Bush needs is to party.  :P

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 11:21:39 pm
  • Newer isn't always better.
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2005, 01:49:42 pm »
If he didn't spend enough, his critics would say he was trying to sneak in, didn't have enough support to throw a big party, or he doesn't care enough about the job to make a big deal about it.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2005, 01:51:34 pm »
Complains also imply Kerry would not have done the same... prove it.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2005, 03:08:44 pm »
This was a big win for the USA and world, his inauguration is reflecting how much he appreciated our support.

Well...if you want to get technical if you judge a win as, say, getting what you want it was actually a pretty small win in the USA and an overwhelming loss for the world.  But...you say potato I say putawto, I suppose.

As to the other stuff...unless the usual cost for these things is like $2 million or something, I think this is just whiny democrats.  Don't get me wrong, the guy is awful -- in just about every conceivable way -- but, he's the President of the United States.  If the most powerful man in the world wants to throw a party to celebrate maybe the most important thing that's ever happened to him, he gets to do that. 
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2005, 03:16:53 pm »
If the most powerful man in the world wants to throw a party to celebrate maybe the most important thing that's ever happened to him, he gets to do that. 

You seem to be missing the point that he's doing so during a war, that he started, which is going remarkably badly. But I guess it'd be easy to forget since Bush didn't mention "Iraq" one single time in his entire speech.

mrC

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2005, 03:31:03 pm »
I guess.  I think it's dispicable to not mention Iraq in his speech, but to expect him to not have a big inaugeration party because of Iraq strikes me as a bit of a stretch.  I mean, I try to hate as much as I can about the guy, but I can't hate him for eating cold cereal in the morning.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 03:32:58 pm by shmokes »

Best Kid iPad Apps

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2005, 03:33:51 pm »
I think it's dispicable he didn't mention Bobby Brown in his speech.  i mean damn, the guy used to be the Sheet and now he's a crackhead.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2005, 03:36:53 pm »
I think it's dispicable he didn't mention Bobby Brown in his speech.  i mean damn, the guy used to be the Sheet and now he's a crackhead.

Yeah, 'cuz you know, dudes seeing their buddies being blown to bits in unarmored humvees during Bush' War of Choice is so much less important than snide comments from a lame apologist.

mrC

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 04:20:58 pm »

Yeah...that's absurd.  The war in Iraq should be the MOST important thing to the President and it's crass for him to omit any mention of it to the American people when they have just handed him their trust (especially since it was by far the stickiest issue for his reelection prospects).  He should have sent a message of reassurance.  It's his inaugeration speach where he sets the tone for the next four years.  His speechwriters were irresponsible.  At the very least he should have kept with his usual tactic of insisting that everything there is going swimmingly.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 04:33:55 pm by shmokes »

Best Kid iPad Apps

GGKoul

• Cheesecake Apprentice
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2019, 05:47:30 pm
  • I was once a big man!! -4700 posts later...
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2005, 04:59:09 pm »
I think it's dispicable he didn't mention Bobby Brown in his speech.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2005, 05:13:36 pm »
Actually, what I'm saying is that I'm sick of hearing it.  Write to him, not us. 

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2005, 05:27:18 pm »
Actually, what I'm saying is that I'm sick of hearing it.  Write to him, not us. 

YOU SUPPORT BUSH...THEREFORE YOU SUPPORT THE WAR AND NOW YOU DON'T WANT TO *HEAR* ABOUT IT??  Disgusting. You didn't have to say anything, but you chose to make a terribly incensitive remark about a highly controversial subject. A *lot* of people carry a LOT of rage about what they perceive as NEEDLESS death and destruction, and I can't imagine anyone specifically asked for your opinion, so why did you bother then?

Next time you get tired of hearing about IRAQ, think of this (I can't get it out of my mind personally):

This picture is of an Iraqi girl whose parents were apparently mistakenly killed by American soldiers at a checkpoint just the other day. Her parents blood coats her little hands. I'm sure she's tired of hearing about the war too.

Edited by saint. See below for why. Image removed, link to image left instead.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/welshman01/Iraqchild.jpg

Reason for edit: I'm comfortable with the debate here, it's an important topic. I think grown people who support the war should see the cost and consequences of the war. That's not to say the war isn't justified (nor is it saying that it is), just that there is a cost and if you support it you should know the ramifications.

However, people who don't support the war, and much more importantly, younger children who do visit this web site, do not deserve to be exposed to shocking images without warning. It's the same line of reasoning that gets me mad when I see a news channel show a video or still image of something along those lines without warning when my children are roaming around the house. If there's a warning, I can protect my children from being exposed to an image I do not think they are mature enough to handle. If there's no warning, I don't have that chance.

No shock pictures please on these forums. Link to them if you choose, but don't spring them unexpectedly. Thanks.

--- saint
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 07:42:13 pm by saint »

IG-88

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2005, 05:33:45 pm »
Well, from what I understand, W. probably wouldnt' of had to go to war if tricky Bill had taken care of business in the first place and got the Taliban when he had the chance. Then he (W.) wouldn't have inherited the problem.

And so what if he throws a party to celebrate. Most of it was donated anyway. It's not like it was all tax payer $$. Is he gloating? Come on.

How much did that damn library of clinton's cost? Alot more than $40 mil! Don't talk to me about gloating. Sore losers seems more like it.

And did you see Kerry standing a bit away from the podium? Waving at the crowd like he's somebody? Gag. Thank God it wasn't his speech. If it was he would've had us all bent over already, just waiting for it like the damn French.
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2005, 05:38:04 pm »
Well, from what I understand, W. probably wouldnt' of had to go to war if tricky Bill had taken care of business in the first place and got the Taliban when he had the chance.

Then you understand wrong, because Saddam/Iraq has nothing to do w/ the Taliban or 9/11.

versapak

• Offline Offline
  • I am t3h GAY!!!
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2005, 05:43:06 pm »
Yeah...that's absurd.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2005, 05:49:37 pm »

Reassurance to who?

Not you. You don't need it. In fact, you'd rather not think about it. Just because you support this atrocious war doesn't mean you need to hear about it, right?

Go to sleep..sweet apologist. When there is a draft, I hope they draft Republicans first.

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2005, 05:52:59 pm »
Well, from what I understand, W. probably wouldn't of had to go to war if tricky Bill had taken care of business in the first place and got the Taliban when he had the chance.

Then you understand wrong, because Saddam/Iraq has nothing to do w/ the Taliban or 9/11.

Whatever
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2005, 05:55:42 pm »
And frankly it's about time we defended ourselves.

15 of the 19 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia. None were from Iraq. Your point?

I'm not afraid of anyone. Especially someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2005, 05:56:00 pm »

Reassurance to who?

Not you. You don't need it. In fact, you'd rather not think about it. Just because you support this atrocious war doesn't mean you need to hear about it, right?

Go to sleep..sweet apologist. When there is a draft, I hope they draft Republicans first.

I'd go in a SECOND. To defend my Country along side my BROTHER who also happens to be my best friend. Just so people can have the right to sit back here and throwe mud at me (him)
-HarumaN

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2005, 05:57:06 pm »
And frankly it's about time we defended ourselves.

15 of the 19 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia. None were from Iraq. Your point?

I'm not afraid of anyone. Especially someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

You'll never get it..... :(
-HarumaN

versapak

• Offline Offline
  • I am t3h GAY!!!
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2005, 06:06:39 pm »

Rock on little you.

I'm not republican, but if the duty called, I'd be there.

There is no reassurance that is going to be offered by him talking about the war during the innaguration. I hear about the war every day. I don't think the President has to say something about it every single time he opens his mouth.

Are you going to complain if he sleeps with his wife in a warm bed, instead of sleeping outside in the cold with bombs and bullets wizzing by? Silly question. Of course you would. He should be getting busy with an intern instead (wonder how much thought process was devoted to dark things happening in our world during those moments) . :P

A second term in office as President of the United States is no small thing, and if he wants to take a day and really celebrate it, then good for him. You guys were going to complain about him no matter what he did, so really what does it matter?

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2005, 06:06:55 pm »
I'd go in a SECOND. To defend my Country along side my BROTHER who also happens to be my best friend. Just so people can have the right to sit back here and throwe mud at me (him)

I have family and friends over there too. Point to one instance of someone on the left "throwing mud" at a soldier?! Critizing the war is NOT the same as critizing those asked to fight it. I imagine your caught up in the debunked myth of people spitting on returning Vietnam Vets. Never happen. I respect our soldiers, they just do what they are asked. It is what they have been asked to do that is in question. Don't try to vilify the left simply because you refuse to accept their dissent.

You should be mad at Bush, who in his moment of "celebration" didn't think your BROTHER and his sacrifice in IRAQ was worth mentioning. "Leftist" like myself don't believe in throwing valuable soldiers like your brother into a danderous situation unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. Lives are worth too much. A Soldiers sacrifice shouldn't be used on a whim. Osama Bin Laden is the man behind 9/11...he's the reason Bush sent your brother into the wrong country. Ask yourself when was the last time you heard your Dear Leader mention Osama's name?

versapak

• Offline Offline
  • I am t3h GAY!!!
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2005, 06:10:40 pm »
You should be mad at Bush, who in his moment of "celebration" didn't think your BROTHER and his sacrifice in IRAQ was worth mentioning.

Yeah, since he never bothers to mention our brave troops. ::)

The other day I saw him breathe, and nothing about Iraq came out. I bet our troops, who overwhelmingly support Bush, were pissed about that one.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2005, 06:14:07 pm »
A second term in office as President of the United States is no small thing, and if he wants to take a day and really celebrate it, then good for him. You guys were going to  about him no matter what he did, so really what does it matter?

That's absolutely NOT true. There are many things he could do that would gather no criticism from us "leftists" (as if I can presume to speak for an entire group). There are even many things he could do that what elicit praise from myself and others on the left.

The fact is, Bush has don't none of it.

The really pathetic thing is that you act like Iraq is something that accidentally *happened* to Bush. "Oh, it's not his fault, he doesn't have to mention it if the poor boy-king is tired", or "WAH! Kerry voted against the armor!" Well, screw that....He made a choice to go into Iraq, he should be proud enough to mention it. Bush made a choice to initially send them *without* the proper equipment.

Is the whole thing going so badly that you'd just expect him to "take a break" from mentioning it? Pretty telling, if you ask me.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 06:20:46 pm by mr.Curmudgeon »

versapak

• Offline Offline
  • I am t3h GAY!!!
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2005, 06:20:37 pm »
A second term in office as President of the United States is no small thing, and if he wants to take a day and really celebrate it, then good for him. You guys were going to about him no matter what he did, so really what does it matter?

That's absolutely NOT true. There are many things he could do that would gather no criticism from us "leftists" (as if I can presume to speak for an entire group). There are even many things he could do that what illicit praise from myself and others on the left.

The fact is, Bush has don't none of it.

The really pathetic thing is that you act like Iraq is something that accidentally *happened* to Bush. "Oh, it's not his fault, he doesn't have to mention it if the poor boy-king is tired". Well, screw that....He made a choice to go into Iraq, he should be proud enough to mention it.

Or is it going so badly that you'd just expect him to "take a break" from mentioning it? Pretty telling, if you ask me.

Yeah, lets take a moment from our celebration to comfort the minority of the people. After all they have been so kind as to bash me every day of my term in office. While I'm at it, let me announce that I am a democrat. All the beliefs that I held as a republican are gone, and I now hold the ideals of the minority.

ooooops

My bad, that would be the other guy that does that sort of flip flopping.

He didn't inherit this war, and I never make any such claim or attempt to direct as such.

I support the war. I supported the reasons to go in, and when they turned to be bad intel, I still supported us being there. I think more good will have eventually come from us having done what we did, then would have ever come had we not.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2005, 06:21:42 pm »
Yeah, lets take a moment from our celebration to comfort the minority of the people.

53 million people.

No suprise that a Bush supporter would expect the president to care less about half the country.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 06:26:53 pm by mr.Curmudgeon »

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2005, 06:23:46 pm »

Still using these old weak talking points? Shame on you.

I support the war. I supported the reasons to go in, and when they turned to be bad intel, I still supported us being there. I think more good will have eventually come from us having done what we did, then would have ever come had we not.

Then good for you. I REEEEEEALLY hope you get the opportunity to support the war effort by going over there to fight. I really do. Honest.

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2005, 06:27:22 pm »

I have family and friends over there too. Point to one instance of someone on the left "throwing mud" at a soldier?! Critizing the war is NOT the same as critizing those asked to fight it. I imagine your caught up in the debunked myth of people spitting on returning Vietnam Vets. Never happen. I respect our soldiers, they just do what they are asked. It is what they have been asked to do that is in question. Don't try to vilify the left simply because you refuse to accept their dissent.

You should be mad at Bush, who in his moment of "celebration" didn't think your BROTHER and his sacrifice in IRAQ was worth mentioning. "Leftist" like myself don't believe in throwing valuable soldiers like your brother into a danderous situation unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. Lives are worth too much. A Soldiers sacrifice shouldn't be used on a whim. Osama Bin Laden is the man behind 9/11...he's the reason Bush sent your brother into the wrong country. Ask yourself when was the last time you heard your Dear Leader mention Osama's name?

Nope never will. By the way OUR leader.
-HarumaN

lucindrea

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2005, 10:06:19 am
  • I dont think I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2005, 06:33:44 pm »

This was a big win for the USA and world, his inauguration is reflecting how much he appreciated our support.

actually , it's a bunch of politicians patting themselves on the back for winning 4 more years , it really has nothing to do with the people.

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 11:21:39 pm
  • Newer isn't always better.
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2005, 06:35:10 pm »
Still using these old weak talking points? Shame on you.
Weak talking points...

Did you forget what that weak point help do?

Let me remind you...

BUSH WON!!!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 06:45:03 pm by Dartful Dodger »

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2005, 07:13:57 pm »
BUSH WON!!!

You're so smart. You get a Star!