Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 2 speakers on a mono jamma cab?  (Read 9305 times)

Redseven80

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2005, 01:57:13 am
  • New Zealand
2 speakers on a mono jamma cab?
« on: January 20, 2005, 02:12:25 am »
How do you go about connecting two speakers to a mono jamma board? can you just use 2 speakers @4 ohms connected in series?

Also I know that I will still only be getting mono, but there is only room for speakers to sit on the lett or right of the cab, so one wont work.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 02:40:32 am by Redseven80 »

quadmasta

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2022, 03:23:00 pm
    • Approximate Arcades
Re: 2 speakers on a mono jamma cab?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 11:52:01 pm »
Wire both speakers to the outputs of the amp.  I guess you don't understand series wiring.

Take the output leads from the amplifier and connect one lead to the positive terminal of one speaker and the negative lead of the other speaker.  Then take a piece of wire and connect the negative lead of one speaker to the positive lead of the other.  8ohms when 2 4ohm drivers are used

minnegopher

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2018, 07:46:20 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 08:25:24 pm »
Sounds kinda like something that I did with my cab.  It is a TMNT 4-player cab with a single/mono (JAMMA) speaker set in the center above the monitor.  I wanted more for my MAME/DOSCab.  Much, much more. 

So, I hacked apart a cheap PC speaker set to get the amplifier and volume controls.  I then added four 4" speakers into a new control panel box that I built.  I took this path because I didn't want to clutter the space above the monitor with additional speakers.  Two of the speakers are located on each side of the box (near the rear), while the other 2 are situated at the front panel's corners of the box.  My box front has the front corners cut at a 15deg angle, onto which I installed the speakers.  This adds some "width" to the sound.  Then, I stuck a smallish subwoofer (6.5") into the corner of the cabinet interior for some bass.  Finally, I wired the four new speakers, the sub, and the single JAMMA cab speaker via a passive surround wiring methodology that I found on the web:

http://allmanmusic.homestead.com/files/passive_surround_with_sub.gif

Let me just say that this sounds GREAT!  Compared to the old single speaker in the system, the multi-speaker sound is a no-brainer.  When using the cabinet for MAME gaming, the sound seems to envelop the gamer with a holographic surround sound.  Then, when listening to MP3s (via DOSCab), the sound fills the room with ease, with a wide and deep soundstage, even with a small amplifier.  For a very small sum (about $25), I put the entire system together.

Oh, I almost forgot, instead of using traditional 4" speaker grilles to cover the control panel box's speakers, I decided to wrap the entire box with black speaker cloth.  Radio Shack and other speaker parts retailers sell this stuff for about $15/roll.  It looks great and keeps the sleek, black lines of the cabinet intact.  I'm very pleased!!!

Redseven80

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2005, 01:57:13 am
  • New Zealand
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 11:33:38 pm »
Thanks guys