Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone try adding a keyboard drawer?  (Read 10455 times)

megashock5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 19, 2015, 06:51:16 am
Anyone try adding a keyboard drawer?
« on: January 18, 2005, 10:16:07 am »
I've been considering trying to add a keyboard drawer that would mount under the monitor shelf so you could slide it out when the front door was open.

I haven't given it more than just an initial thought, but before I got too far I was wondering if anyone has done this and how they did it.

thanks!

namedos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2023, 06:18:13 pm
Re: Anyone try adding a keyboard drawer?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 11:53:07 am »
I considered it and I don't think it would be that tough to add one.  However, when I found out that the Ultimate Arcade II plans were on the CD and it already included a keyboard drawer I went that direction.  I also didn't like the look of the hinged door on the front.  The trade off is a two piece side but then it will be easier to move around during construction.  Good luck! :)

bioart

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2006, 11:38:14 pm
    • The ArtCade
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 01:22:51 am »
I built a UAII, the keyboard drawer is really, really useful...  I don't like the hinge as much, but I can live with it :)

Art

megashock5

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 19, 2015, 06:51:16 am
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 08:51:23 am »
Well, I bought side-mount drawer rails at Home Depot. I'm going to try to make a slide-out shelf that's the width of the inside of the cab so I could hold a keyboard and mouse. I'll have to open the front to slide it out, but I don't anticipate having to use it that much (just don't know where else it could go).

I'll post pics if/when I get it working.

tribalredfox

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 06:28:29 pm »
A lot depends on how often you'll use the keyboard tray.  I use mine a lot so it doesn't have a cover over it, it isn't hidden, etc.  Actually, it's used enough that I opted for the $16 heavy-duty keyboard tray that's capable of holding up to 50 pounds.

If you rarely use it then I've seen people simply lay a mini keyboard inside the control panel.  If you have an mouse/trackball hack then that's obviously the mouse.

If you want a keyboard tray that is hidden you can use a couple hinges and another piece of wood to cover the opening made.  The big issue would be that the hinged area would probably lay flat with the tray when opened and wouldn't be capable of holding a lot of weight.

If you never, ever use the keyboard but want the tray then you can just have a piece of wood that you can pull off.  It'd sit flush with probably the bottom of the control panel, the top of the front panel, and the sides and would have a knob or something to that effect to pull it off.  On the downside, with the tray open there will be a piece of wood just laying on the ground somewhere.

Hope some of this helps.

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 03:51:03 am »
I decided to go with a wireless keyboard.  It has been wonderful in its application.  I don't need it except for administrative purposes, and I sit it between the monitor and the front of my controls.

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 01:59:43 am »
I'm just starting to build my cabinet and decided to add a keyboard tray.  All I'm going to do is cut off the top part of the coin door and put hinges and a latch on it so the keyboard stays well hidden but is still easily accessable.  Theres a few possible problems I may have that might make me change my mind though.  First, the keyboard might be too low, the top of the coin door doesnt look too high from the pics and a keyboard thats only as high as my knees wont be too helpful. Second, it might make inside of the cabinet too short to hold my pc case.  I'll wait until after I built the majority of my cabinet before I make any final decisions.

Scott84

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2022, 08:24:59 pm
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 11:25:34 pm »
How much does a keyboard drawer hinges go for anyways? Curious.
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man
affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in
darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to
repetitive music." -- Marcus Brigstocke

BlinKY1337

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2013, 11:06:36 am
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 04:17:50 pm »
I added one in my cabinet kinda difficult to install because it wasnt designed for how i mounted it but in the end it turned out good and is completley hidden :)

ChicagoDave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2023, 11:08:23 am
    • Dave's Website
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 10:02:42 am »
I added a keyboard drawer and it worked out pretty well.  The main thing to watch out for is the the tray door.  It was a little tricky making sure that the it did not interfere with pulling out the tray.  I had it flip down, and it worked out ok.

Homer Simpson:
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems."

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 04:46:37 pm »
I decided to go with a wireless keyboard.  It has been wonderful in its application.  I don't need it except for administrative purposes, and I sit it between the monitor and the front of my controls.

Wireless keyboards are the way to go. Mine tucks away inside the coin door when not in use, which is most of the time.

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?