Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Building a Guitar Freaks/Drum Freaks/Pop'n music arcade cabinet  (Read 6608 times)

Sabrick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2005, 05:11:18 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Building a Guitar Freaks/Drum Freaks/Pop'n music arcade cabinet
« on: January 17, 2005, 07:46:21 pm »
Im currently building a cabinet that has a PC board on it housing emulated games (MAME and other consoles). it will also have a PS2, XBOX, and Gamecube in it.
But lately I have considered adding the "beatmania" series to my cabinet, they are extremely new and exist almost exclusivly in Japan. for those not sure of the series here is some information:
http://www.channelbeat.com/products/drum/drum_mania_series/345.html

I was wondering if anyone could help me or give me some critisms towards why this can or cannot be done. so far i just think i need to purchase the Game board and run them on my monitor as well as hook up the special controls for each system on it, will that be especially difficult?

anyway, this thing is going to rock the nieghborhood, giant speaker and an auto-quality Base unit it really rock the joint. Im leaving DDR out of the machine though, don't much like that particular series.

Sephroth57

• Poo Monkey
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2020, 11:17:00 am
    • Check it out!!!
Re: Building a Guitar Freaks/Drum Freaks/Pop'n music arcade cabinet
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 09:10:33 am »
yeah, ive pretty much done that already with PopN Music and IIDX at the moment. Guitar Freaks to be added in the near future. As you probably know all youll really need is a PS2 since bemani games are exclusive to it in japan.

let me know what kind of questions you have about it, heres some pics of my setup. its ghetto right now cause im too poor to buy a keyboard stand so my controls sit on a stack of big tupperware boxes. and the art on the cab isnt done yet, but its fully functional

"Owens is the ringleader in the ass hat circus"  D K

Sabrick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2005, 05:11:18 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 05:11:18 pm »
I saw your Pop'n music setup before i started, thats very cool. im going to have to mirror what you've done.

But I as far as Guitarfreaks/drummania is conserned, im not going to use a ps2 to run it, im going to get the actually japanese gameboard from the arcade cabinet. I read/speak japanese so it shouldnt be a problem with translation, or ordering it. thats going to be the really hard part though, I have no idea how im going to get the guitars to work, as well as the drums.

Sephroth57

• Poo Monkey
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2020, 11:17:00 am
    • Check it out!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 10:50:57 pm »
hehe, youre the 2nd person on this site that wants an actual GF PCB. Seriously man unless you have SERIOUS cash youre not gonna get it. Realisticly how much money do you really plan on spending? Depending on the mix you want it will be like 4-12K.  And yeah those prices are for full cabinets, but believe me youre NOT going to find PCBs with no cabs. Think about it, how many people do you know that would throw out a unique music game cabinet and keep the PCB.

If you really have like $5,000 + dollars to spend, i can tell you where you can find a machine
"Owens is the ringleader in the ass hat circus"  D K