Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Humidity and your cabinet  (Read 1720 times)

Mark70

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2011, 11:22:49 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Humidity and your cabinet
« on: August 02, 2006, 06:08:35 pm »
We're having one of the most jungle like summers on record here this year.

I build my cab out of MDF in the winter when the relative humidity is about 20%.  In the last couple of days it's been as high as 85%.

I've noticed that my lower door is sticking and worst of all, my CP overlay is getting wrinkly.  It must be growing with the increased humidity.  I should have laminated it.  In order to change is I have unwire all my buttons, uninstall all of the buttons and replace it, then put it all back.

I wait for the cheese for my whine.  Sorry.  It's just hard to see something which you put effort into to make it look good and work well, start to look not as good and work not as well.
... arcade builders could someday rule the world...currency would be reduced to quarters only, and wars would be settled

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
Re: Humidity and your cabinet
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 06:10:36 pm »
That sucks.
Just curious, is your cabinet indoors?  I wouldn't think the humidity would be nearly as bad inside (assuming you have A/C).

jimmy_bored

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2006, 12:13:21 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 06:45:12 pm »
My cabinets are in the lower part of my house, which for whatever reason has lots of moisture in the air.  I use a dehumidifier.  There cheap and work great...

westell

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2010, 06:43:07 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 09:49:02 pm »
I have my arcade machines in the basement and run the dehumidifier 24/7 during the summer

Mark70

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2011, 11:22:49 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 08:14:59 am »
My cabinet is in the basement.  We don't have air conditioning yet.  The AC unit just arrived yesterday.... coincidentally.  Hopefully once the air is up and running, the problem will subside.

Interesting that I've never heard of a dehumidifier as being an important piece of arcade equipment, yet a couple different people have mentioned that they use them all of the time.
... arcade builders could someday rule the world...currency would be reduced to quarters only, and wars would be settled

Ninten-doh

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2017, 10:37:18 am
  • I promise sweetie, this is my last cab purchase
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 08:20:42 am »
Like Westell, I keep a dehumidifier running 24/7 during the summer as well.

Texasmame

• No, no. He's in charge here.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2022, 05:28:39 pm
  • Ba, ba, boom!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 03:40:34 pm »
Ditto on the dehumidifier.  Home Depot carries several (Hampton Bay was the one I got).  Ran ALL THE TIME up in NH in the summer but the games NEVER showed any signs of humidity damage.

YMMV