Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The NEON MAME *HOF/Website UP*  (Read 123504 times)

Mark70

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2011, 11:22:49 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: The NEON MAME *HOF/Website UP*
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2005, 10:03:18 am »
I've noticed that you place the 4way stick very close to the spinner.  Is this so that you can use the stick and spinner in some way with one hand, such as for disks of tron where you don't have the benefit of a trigger stick.  It just seemed to me like they were close and you might bump or pinch your finders on the spinner knob when using the 4way.

What has your experience been while using it?
... arcade builders could someday rule the world...currency would be reduced to quarters only, and wars would be settled

Knievel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2016, 10:29:09 pm
  • Who's up for a game of Stunt Cycle??
    • Knievel Kustoms
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2005, 10:53:15 am »
Lots of room around it Mark, and I've got big hands. I spaced everything evenly at the top and made sure I could use them without touching the trackball.

Every control location on the CP was well thought out for comfort. You can rest your hand on the CP while using any one of them...makes for some long gaming sessions. ;)

If you're looking for a CP check out the Kustom Work page on my site.

Mark70

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2005, 01:20:27 pm »
Lots of room around it Mark, and I've got big hands. I spaced everything evenly at the top and made sure I could use them without touching the trackball.

Every control location on the CP was well thought out for comfort. You can rest your hand on the CP while using any one of them...makes for some long gaming sessions. ;)

If you're looking for a CP check out the Kustom Work page on my site.

Oh, I assure you I 've been through your site thoroughly.  I'm planning on building a mame cabinet based strongly on the Neon.  I started with LuSid's plans, but I realized that it looks too chunky in the front and the subtle return under the CP makes all the difference in the world.  I'm an architectural draftsman so I'm building it in 3d first, then I'll likely do detailed drawings.... and besides I have to finish my boat restoration before my wife to be will let me build the cab.

I've been very concerned about the control layout.  I've seen a lot modular systems, the flip system, none seem very elegant.  To be honest I don't know that one or two games like disks of tron or Ikari warriors with unusual controls warrant a unique control system.  If I really want to relive two of  those old favorites of mine, I may build a dedicated cabinet.  The fully enclosed Disks of Tron cab is tempting, but let me get my first one built.
... arcade builders could someday rule the world...currency would be reduced to quarters only, and wars would be settled

Knievel

• Offline Offline
    • Knievel Kustoms
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2005, 04:45:15 pm »
Ya I would suggest a layout that plays most of what you want for your initial 'main' machine. A lot of people try to cram every possible control on their first CP.

I now have cabinets dedicated to specific controls but they hardly get touched.

Don't overdo it, you WILL build again. ;)

Mark70

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2005, 08:39:51 pm »
A little HTML in your sig. there would be sweet, to link to those three projects. 

You've got all those polishing touches on your machines, why not on the web too.  ;)

thatguy_247

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2006, 02:12:38 am
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2006, 09:48:19 pm »
just wanted to say amazing job overall and if you dont mind id love to use the neon mame as inspiration for my first cabinet.  you mentioned earlier in the thread making plans available for your cabinet.  Any chance you might still post them?

Dan

MovingTarget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 10:22:32 am
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2006, 01:22:22 pm »
As you keep reading through this forum you will find MANY MANY MANY cabinets that copy, were inspired by, etc. the NEON MAME.  Mine included (Alien MAME).

It's a very nicely done cabinet with cool lighted buttons and a very popular color combination.

Knievel

• Offline Offline
    • Knievel Kustoms
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2008, 10:26:38 am »
Recently had some people asking for measurements on this cabinet, thought I'd post what I have..

Overall height including base - 73 1/4"
Overall width including sides - 25 1/2"

Cabinet side dimensions:

Heights, from the bottom of the cabinet:
at front - 70 1/4"
at back - 62"
to top of CP box shelf - 31 1/2"
to behind the CP box - 6" high
to the point where the monitor area angles up towards the marquee - 56 1/8"
to the bottom of the marquee area - 62 3/8"

Depths, from the back of the cabinet:
at bottom/at top - 28"
to the tip of the CP box shelf- 34 1/8"
to behind the CP box - 24 5/8"
to the point where the monitor area angles up towards the marquee - 18 7/8"

Other Dimensions:

front door - 27" high x 23 7/8" wide
back piece - 58 3/4" high x 24" wide
very top piece - 6" deep x 24" wide
angled top piece - 23 3/8" x 24" wide
speaker piece - 10 1/2" deep x 24" wide
keyboard drawer - 8 1/2" deep x 23" wide
keyboard drawer front - 2  3/4" x 23 7/8" wide
admin panel below monitor - 3 1/2" high x 24" wide
base - 27" deep x 24" wide x 5 1/2" high (3" are actually visible when looking from the side)

You can also check out this site, he made some drawings using the measurements..

http://blah247.googlepages.com/mame

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2008, 10:51:08 am »
Awesome contribution.... now how about the same treatment to the Woody?   ;)

Today I will be building the CP box with all those crazy miters and I'm scared.

Knievel

• Offline Offline
    • Knievel Kustoms
« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2008, 10:56:47 am »

Yea and it only took 3 years. :)

I would love to do a proper drawing of the Woody or Evolution at some point, I'd need assistance though.
And at the moment I don't have either one sitting here..

redhorse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2013, 03:08:28 pm
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2008, 04:22:21 am »
Hello Knievel,

first congratz to your wonderful arcade machine, it looks amazing.

What size of trackball are you using (3 inch or 2.25)? Is it the Happ Translucent model?

Regarding the CP, is it possible to get/purchase the control panel template?
Avenger Squadron
Tie Fighter Alliance (http://darkjedi.org/club/TFA)
Dark Jedi Organization (http://darkjedi.org)

xerox4100

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2012, 06:15:45 am
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2009, 05:32:36 pm »
Knievel I love your work yor the reason i got into ths as a hoby lol. i want a cab just like this one but making it unique in my own way not sure how yet woorking the the layout of the cp now and the marquee im going with the same black and blue but not sure the design yet

mameapl65

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2009, 04:06:46 pm
« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2009, 11:32:07 pm »
hay im kind of new to mame and boy did i get my hands full with this project.  I just got done with the measurements and i have a guy who is helping me put the wood parts together (he owns his own wood shop and trains people but never has he done an arcade).  Anyways i told him he could use my arcade to help draw in the younger crowed at the local fair coming up at the end of this month.  We will work on it till our fingers break off to get it just right.  Well on to my question.  I have been looking everywhere for a good control cabinet design.  I currently am going with a 4 player set up.  The link to the info is: http://www.northernarmy.com/arcade/?m=200803  I will be moving the spinner next to the three buttons in the middle and then shifting the joystick, 3 buttons, and spinner to the left so i dont hit my hands on the joystick when playing the trackball.  On the top middle (where the spinner is on the picture) i will have an exit button, enter button, and a pause button.  The rest of the setup will stay the same.  for the measurements im going to be using the same as the link.  Again, cough cough, on to my question.  How can i get my hands on the art design you used for your neon mame found on link: http://www.knievelkustoms.com/neonmame.htm  I would like to use the worlds biggest form of flattery and copy it!!  its the best ive found (looking for weeks) AND my wife likes it!!!!

i dont know how to move the circles you put around the buttons and joystick but i would like to match that image with my soon to be built control panel.  Did you do it yourself?  please get back to me.  Maybe we can meet up in the chat room on this website.  Let me know the time and date!     :cheers:

kokoski

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2018, 01:13:29 am
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2009, 10:27:59 pm »
bump, I was also wondering if its still possiblt to get the art somewhere. I'd love to have it in red o.0

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 10:48:49 am
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2010, 06:06:09 pm »
Can you tell me what T-Molding you used to make it glow? I assume you used something like el wire behind it?

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2010, 06:19:25 pm »
Are you referring to his side art? If so those are blue neon speaker rings...his T Molding is regular afaik.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

CaptainMarvel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2020, 04:49:55 pm
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2020, 04:06:26 pm »
I realize this project is over 15 years old, but it REMAINS one of my all time favorites.

I haven't been to the AC Forum in a while - so if this question has been answered, please forgive me  . . .

Is/Was there ever a tutorial for how to make the side illuminated "MAME" circles on either side panel?

THANK YOU !!!
TOM

Understanding that you may not see success instantly, but that all your good decisions add up to a cumulative success over time is what separates those who "get there" and those who don't. Every day you either get further away from your goals, or closer to them . . . Its up to YOU."

doogles45

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2022, 10:34:17 pm
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2020, 11:54:42 pm »
Hi Tom,

I believe TheShaner used this build as a starting point.  He does a great job of showing how he made the circle here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,117641.0.html