Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Book - Zap, the rise and fall of Atari - Free  (Read 5172 times)

MrArcade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2022, 03:45:28 pm
  • I wish I had time to play these games !!!
Book - Zap, the rise and fall of Atari - Free
« on: October 12, 2002, 02:09:29 am »
Quote "It is a great perspective because it was written during the fall of Atari ('84), and therefore has a lot more substantive facts as opposed to books written
25 years after the fact."

get it here

http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/atari/zap.zip
Oh, the memories of living on pizza subs and Dr Pepper...

Carsten Carlos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 05:06:25 am
  • Projects: Centipede extended, Asteroids
    • Carlos' Centipede-extended
Re:Book - Zap, the rise and fall of Atari - Free
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2002, 05:52:10 am »
Thanx, finaly an e-book I could need for my PocketPC!  :D

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
Re:Book - Zap, the rise and fall of Atari - Free
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2002, 04:57:27 pm »
Just finished reading this.  Very interesting.  I remember noticing as a kid when we got our 2nd Atari 2600 that it had a Warner Communications logo on the box, which our first one hadn't.  That first one was also a lot more expensive...

It's interesting to note how many times they state how 3D holography is going to be the next big thing in game technology.  I guess they were partially right -- most games today use 3D graphics, but still within the confines of a 2D screen.  No one seems to be working on hologram technology much anymore, certainly not for games.

Also, the author seemed totally unaware of the new wave of console games that woud be coming from Japan less than a year after the events of the book.  He seemed to think that video games would eventually die out, when actually, it's only the arcade games that have waned.  All the consoles that were hot back then (Atari, Intellivision, ColocoVision) have died out, only to be replaced by new ones (XBox, PS2, Dreamcast, Game Cube.)  And there was a little invention called the cell phone, and now everyone has video games like Tetris and Snake in their pockets!  Now they're even putting arcade classics and fighting games in full color into cell phones.  I think that this officially disqualifies video games as a fad, another hula hoop.  It's still a multi-billion dollar industry.

The last note I found interesting was in the final chapter.  Nolan Bushnell, after starting the Pizza Time chain, was preparing in 1983 to release, thru Sente, "a new generation of arcade games that would push the video game medium to a new level."  Look up Sente on Mame.dk.  None of these games were hits!  Yes, the resolution was higher, but come on, Chicken Shift?  Goalie Ghost?  Night Stocker?  The NAMES aren't even good!  Also, note these games are listed as being manufactured by Bally/Sente.  I'm assuming Bally bought them out.  Wonder how much Nolan made off THAT deal...  His one talent seems to be creating small companies staffed with creative but underpaid people, then selling them for a few million right before they nose dive after a brief spike in sales.  Wish I had that talent...  ;)

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...