Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone know why these games aren't in MAME yet?  (Read 3011 times)

Brax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
Anyone know why these games aren't in MAME yet?
« on: October 19, 2002, 11:59:13 pm »
I don't think Death Race is supported in Mame. Anyone know why? I remember seeing that game in a K-Mart lobby when I was about 8. An older kid was playing it and I remember thinking that was such a baaaaad game! hehe My mom would never have approved me playing it! Keep in mind this was about 1977.  Anyhow.... mom will never know now... I NEED to play it!!!! Anyone feel like making an emulator JUST for it? hehe ........DEATH Mame!

The other one I was wondering about was Tekken.... Just about every other fighting game in existance is supported by Mame, is there a technical reason this one isn't? Graphics too much?

Maybe they just haven't got around to these two, but I kind of think there's additional reasons for these particular games.
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
Re:Anyone know why these games aren't in MAME yet?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2002, 12:07:10 am »
Death Race is listed as a non-CPU unemulated game here:  http://unmamed.mame.net/no_cpu.html

The unMAMEd page is a pretty good resource when looking for certain games that aren't in MAME, for one reason or another.

madk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2017, 04:59:49 pm
  • I actually am a llama!!
    • Digital Something
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2002, 12:10:00 am »
Tekken is about a generation ahead of mame.  The guys who are working on zinc don't even have the emulation correct yet. (no sound at all)  They say that once there stand-alone is done they will make mame drivers for it.
Matt (mad-k)

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2002, 12:11:03 am »
Darn, looks like no Death RAce for me.....  :-[

Anyone know anything about Tekken?

hey, you're too fast!  ;D I guess that solves the Tekken issue too... Geez... the first tekken was out quite a while ago wasn't it? I just assumed they'd have it licked by now. I think theres even newer games than that already emulated isn't there? Oh well, I think the 3000 other games that ARE emulated will keep me busy  ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2002, 12:23:13 am by Brax »

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2002, 12:23:01 am »
[sarcasm]It isn't in mame yet because you haven;t written the driver for it![/sarcasm]

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2002, 12:26:53 am »
I don't think you want me writing the driver.....

if I were to do it it would go something like this..

Line 1 Tekken, work DAMN IT!
Line 2 IF line 1 doesn't work...... EXPLODE!

Simple and to the point... Hey, maybe that WOULD work?

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2002, 01:17:08 am »
Dude,
If you really like tekken then you can easly play on psx or PS2..ps2 version seems perfect.
Tekken 4...

Since we are on this topic.

Anyone know why no raidan game is on mame?

raidan 2,raidan DX,raidan fighters,Raidan fighters jet and all.

WHY WHY WHY ! ! !

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2002, 01:51:47 am »
There's a really good reason why you don't see tekken in mame... it's because the zinc team doesn't use "accurate" emulation techniques.  In ohter words they faked part of it as the zn side of the emulator is similar to a playstation. Also the sound chip used by the namco system 11 games is completely unknown.  It might not EVER be emulated correctly unless someone can find information on this processor.  

Also tekken isn't a popular game series, so it isn't a high priority to a lot of programmers.  Before you throw things at the screen a little perspective.....  You have the mortal kombat series, a series so contraversial and hyped that it literally started the game ratings system.  It has a 10 year legacy.  Then you have the street fighter series, without a doubt the best selling, longest running fighter series in history.  It's been around for almost 15 years now.  

The mame devs aren't going to work on a game that they personally don't like that much (unless it's related to another game they do like)  The tekken series is really hard to emulated right now. And games like mortal kombat 4 and and cps3 games (street fighter 3) and the naomi system are still completely unemulated.  With that being said, I'm usually a strong supporter of emulating the older games first, but in this case even if it was added now, it could be years and years before it has sound, which makes it almost unplayable. It looks like the mame devs have skipped over system 11 completely and are working on namco system 12 and 22.  Understandably so as those games are easier to emulate and much more unique.  

With all of that taken into account which one's do you really want them to be working on?  

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2002, 09:15:40 am »
 With all of that taken into account which one's do you really want them to be working on?  

Well, I think it's greedy to WANT them working on anything....... I have 3000 games now. I think I could live with that if they stopped tomorrow. I'm thankful for what I have already.

And as far as Tekken's popularity goes.... *shrug* I've always liked it better. You can't find anything to do with Street Fighter around here, but the local theatre has Tekken 4 in it. Tekken has always been more popular in my area.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2002, 03:04:26 pm »
Well, I think it's greedy to WANT them working on anything....... I have 3000 games now. I think I could live with that if they stopped tomorrow. I'm thankful for what I have already.
I didn't mean it that way, that's just what you sounded like you were getting at.
And as far as Tekken's popularity goes.... *shrug* I've always liked it better. You can't find anything to do with Street Fighter around here, but the local theatre has Tekken 4 in it. Tekken has always been more popular in my area.

Well there is a reason for that... a street fighter sequel true to the series (no capcom vs snk crap) hasn't been made in about 5 years now.  And mortal kombat has dropped off the face of the earth.  

Personally I don't have a problem with the tekken series, but find it bland and generic.  First there are no projectiles, which in my book almost makes it unworthy of the title of a street fighter.  But I can get over that as rival schools was a decent game and had a similar gameplay style.  (Still not a great game but fun.)  

What really gets me about it is namco's hideous character design.  They seem to be capable of only making really sucky original characters (jack, lee, ect..)  And any good character design they come up with is a blatent rip-off of the big two, (mk and sf2) and occasionally the snk fighters, which makes them rip-offs of rip-offs (as snk almost always makes capcom clones in their games).  I know that some people like that fighting style and tekken is the only one that uses it, but for me it's not worth it.  

Luckily there is still hope for everyone, fighter kiddies, casual players, and old school veterans like myself, alike.  Coming november 11 Mortal Kombat 5 is released and unless they really screw something up it will be the ultimate fighter.  It has several fighting systems you can choose from and on top of that both the tekken combo/grab fighting moves and the traditonal mk projectile based moves are in place and it's supposed to be balanced in such a way that you can get away with using one or the other and still win.  The fighting system is now totally 3d now, more so than any other fighter before it. This will make for unique gameplay.  Also the mk team (what's left of them anyway) has went back to basics and every single character design is orignal and actually good. Not just move wise, but visually as well.... Scorpion now looks nothing like Sub-Zero, ect...  

I usually don't plug any new fighters, because lately new fighter=sucky, unoriginal, "fighter kiddie" style fighter, but I encourage you all to watch for this one when it comes out.  Mk and Mk2 brought the fighter genre to it's knees, it looks like Mk5 might do that again.  

Groza

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2004, 11:19:06 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2002, 01:58:15 pm »
The raiden games arn't emulated yet because the graphics are encoded... or something I remember reading this somewhere.
Hope it helps

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2002, 02:09:36 pm »
Dude,
If you really like tekken then you can easly play on psx or PS2..ps2 version seems perfect.
Tekken 4...

Since we are on this topic.

Anyone know why no raidan game is on mame?

raidan 2,raidan DX,raidan fighters,Raidan fighters jet and all.

WHY WHY WHY ! ! !

Snaaake, the original Raiden IS in MAME!  Just none of the sequels.  Maybe the problem is you've been looking for Raidan instead of Raiden!  I'd like to see these games added too.

BTW, I think we could get simulations written of some of these ROMless games if people would start bringing video cameras to these shows like CA Extreme, etc.  They often have working specimens of Pong and Computer Space, etc.  All we need is to watch a couple minutes of gameplay in order to figure out the rules and graphics for a fairly accurate sim.  I guess it's a good thing that microprocessors got cheap fairly early in the coin-op era, or we might not have half the games we have in MAME now!

Damn, I wanna play Tank!  :P

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...