Main > Project Announcements

DIY Skeeball

(1/28) > >>

Ixliam:
Since I have actually started on this, I thought I would move it here. I have been trying to locate a skeeball locally in Georgia with little to no luck. It was hard enough for me to find an arcade cabinet here, much less a used and REASONABLE skeeball. I thought that since an arcade cabinet is possible, why not skeeball ?

UncleT has been kind enough to provide dimensions and details on many things here, and I have my own drawing along with a pile of skeeball pics in a zip file at ixliam.home.comcast.net/skeeball.zip. It is 5mb however.

I am going to go for this body style below. There doesn't seem to be much variation in the ramp, but there is some in the way the scoring section is cut, along with variations in the support for both (steel legs, long cabinets, support boxes underneath).

The scoring is a simple circuit that is nothing more than a 3 chip counter, and the ball count is the same just one chip less. As far as how it stops the balls from rolling down the ball return, there are a few methods that I think would be feasable for the home builder. A start button with an electric solinoid to open/close a release gate. A manual button that pulls down a gate, or if you wanted to just use one ball the counter could close the gate at ball 9.

Construction pics are below, and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Brad

Ixliam:

Ramps and support pieces.

Score section side panel.

Assembling the score section.

Target with 4" holes cut.

Assembled Score section w/ Target

Support brackets for target. The gap between the target
and front is large enough for a skeeball to fall through (for
total misses).

Score section with target in place.

Brad

walls83:
That thing is going to be a monster.  I cant wait to see how it comes out.  Nice work so far.

Ixliam:
They didn't make them small for sure, though I  know there is a 6' model for kids I believe. Least I didn't try to do one of the 1900 or so models... the ramp was 35 feet long... needless to say in those days only men played it. They later shortened it to 13', then to 10' which is what most of them are. I believe the ones I played on in Panama City, FL when I was a kid (1970's) were the 13' ones, but that's a guess.

Brad

Ixliam:

My official assistants.

Inside ramp section w/ramp support rails.

Ramp section ready for assembly.

Ramp assembled.

This didn't work out so well. I was trying to heat
this 1/8" lexan. Some curved well, some didn't.
The problem was I could not get an even curve
overall. Maybe if you had a mold, that would work.
So, onto option #2 for the curve - use the MDF scrap.

I will have to cut out 25 of these to get the 19"
needed for the ramp width. Sucks, but on the
other hand it will work after I give it a good sanding.

Here are two of those pieces together. I will
assemble them with two large dowel rods and
wood glue (tomorrow). Course I have to cut the
rest out first  :'(

Brad

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version