Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Point-and-Click Trackball Barcade-Style Build for Mouse Games  (Read 836 times)

Xerobull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 02:07:05 pm
  • Push it to the limit.
    • Pedestal Xero
Point-and-Click Trackball Barcade-Style Build for Mouse Games
« on: February 02, 2024, 01:41:59 pm »
Hey folks!

I'm thinking of building out a one-player Barcade style build (tabletop) with a trackball and mouse buttons to play point-and-click style mouse games. Think Popcap, mobile phone match-3 games, find the hidden object, etc, and possibly some classic trackball games and some low-button games like Vampire Survivor or One Finger Death Punch.

My biggest hurdle now is really the front end. I want it to be something elegant, easy to use but hard to break (by kids) that can run emulators like MAME, DOS and Android as well as Windows/Steam games.

Any thoughts or any previous builds come to mind?

And because people like pictures, here's a picture of a windows mouse/trackball similar to the one I have in a box.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Point-and-Click Trackball Barcade-Style Build for Mouse Games
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 05:08:12 pm »
Just get an ipad.

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
  • Push it to the limit.
    • Pedestal Xero
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 08:10:06 pm »
Just get an ipad.

Remember when Apple announced the name 'iPad' and everyone's reaction was that it sounded like a feminine product?

firedance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:06:36 am
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 02:04:26 am »
I've spent many many countless hours with hyperspin and rlauncher (rocket launcher) configuring it to how I want it but have since moved onto launchbox/bigbox, so much easy to configure all the emulators and all the media(box art, disc, clear logo etc)

https://www.launchbox-app.com/

The launchbox part is free but if you want a fancy frontend (bigbox)  that's a paid option, plenty of guides on YouTube and a very helpful community to help you along the way.

There's also coinops but that can be almost as tricky to set up as hyperspin.

There are other frontends but only used the ones listed above.

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
  • Push it to the limit.
    • Pedestal Xero
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2024, 11:34:17 am »
I've spent many many countless hours with hyperspin and rlauncher (rocket launcher) configuring it to how I want it but have since moved onto launchbox/bigbox, so much easy to configure all the emulators and all the media(box art, disc, clear logo etc)

https://www.launchbox-app.com/

The launchbox part is free but if you want a fancy frontend (bigbox)  that's a paid option, plenty of guides on YouTube and a very helpful community to help you along the way.

There's also coinops but that can be almost as tricky to set up as hyperspin.

There are other frontends but only used the ones listed above.

Thanks. Yeah, HS and RLauncher and the plethora of options involved with those to is just too much of a lift for me these days. I've moved into the "I just want this ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- to work" phase of my life. Granted, I do enjoy the tinkering part but there's a point where I'd rather get it working within a few hours, or at least not have the frustration of running into issues over and over again.

Will try out Launchbox/Bigbox.