Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME and highscore  (Read 4312 times)

madk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2017, 04:59:49 pm
  • I actually am a llama!!
    • Digital Something
MAME and highscore
« on: October 08, 2002, 02:20:39 pm »
I need some info on saving high scores.  I hear I can downlaod an unofficial Highscore.dat that works with most games.  Can anyone point me in the right direction and give me some info on the subject.  Thanks in advance.

-madk
Matt (mad-k)

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
Re:MAME and highscore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2002, 02:26:37 pm »
I would like to know too....

I read from Mame.net if we set a highscore file somewhere, most games high score will be saved... but then... couldn't get it working...

but for some games... (Cyberball is one of them) high score is automatically saved.....

would like to know details...

thx in advance...
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2002, 03:08:08 pm »
The highscore.dat is pretty much a lost cause.  The problem is every game stores it's high score in a different format.   It's hard to read and hard to parse, and thus it's very hard to use it for front-ends, which I believe was it's intention.  

Unless I am mistaken on this, the highscore.dat has nothing to do with saving your highscore.  You see in order for a game to save it's score to the highscore.dat, it's game driver has to be coded that way.  Since it is a lot of work for the devs to convert the highscores of a game from hex or whatever odd ball format the game uses into the highscore format, it is seldom supported.  

Sorry :(

madk

• Offline Offline
    • Digital Something
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2002, 03:30:20 pm »
I found this...

http://www.mameworld.net/highscore/

Haven't tried yet...will update after I try.
Matt (mad-k)

madk

• Offline Offline
    • Digital Something
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2002, 04:32:22 pm »
K I just copied the file into my MAME folder and gave Marble Madness a try...after setting the high score I quit...loaded it back up...and BAM...my name in lights!  So this method apparently works with all the games listed.  Good enough for me.

-madk
Matt (mad-k)

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2002, 05:17:51 pm »

Unless I am mistaken on this, the highscore.dat has nothing to do with saving your highscore.

Actually, the hiscore.dat tells MAME where in memory the high scores are stored; when the data in that location changes, it writes the data out to a .HI file for that game.  The data in the .HI file is then patched back in to the game's memory map at startup.  So yes, it saves high scores for games that don't save them in NVRAM.

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com