Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Condensed 4 player CP  (Read 1156 times)

zvar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2019, 11:39:56 pm
  • One of these days I'll think of somthing cute.
Condensed 4 player CP
« on: December 23, 2004, 10:02:35 pm »
Is there a way to make a 2-layer CP, but emulate a 4 player CP?
I'm a huge Gauntlet fan (actually that's the main reason I'm going to build a cab) but for space and money reasons I will not be able to build a 4 player CP. 
I'd like to have player 1/3 have one set of buttons and joy, and players 2/4 to have the second set. 
That way I can hit the coin button for player 3 (wizard) and it will start and I can use player 1's controlls.
Or would it be best to just find room for a 4 player CP and skip the trackball for the full experience?

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2011, 08:59:16 am
  • Just Say No To Taito! -Nichibutsu
Re: Condensed 4 player CP
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 10:42:44 pm »
You can't really emulate a 4-p CP, but you can map the controls for player 3 to be whatever you use for player 1 in other games.

Your other option would be to build a 2-P CP, and add a USB port and two USB gamepads for P-3/P-4.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 10:58:29 pm »
If I read that right, you want to be able to play either Thor or Merlin on the left stick, and either Thyra or Questor on the right, but never more than two simultaneous players.  If that's the case, you can configure the inputs in MAME for Gauntlet to use the same controls.  You'd have to be careful never to start Thor & Merlin or Thyra and Questor at the same time, though, as then (I think) you'd get both characters running around, and sooner or later one of them would stick behind a wall and get you stuck.

On the other hand, have you looked at the cabinet plans for Gauntlet at www.jakobud.com?  The Gauntlet CP is really pretty small, compared to most 4p setups:

It's about 30" wide, by about 17" deep.  For comparison, a Teenage Mutant CP is about 37" wide.  Of course, you still need standing room for p1 &p4, so it may still be two big, but it's worth considering.  You might be able to shrink it down a little more, if it's close.  A cardboard mockup is your friend here.

Good luck!

Oddfeld

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2021, 07:04:15 am
  • I was Jeff Minter's llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 12:40:58 pm »
If I read that right, you want to be able to play either Thor or Merlin on the left stick, and either Thyra or Questor on the right, but never more than two simultaneous players.  If that's the case, you can configure the inputs in MAME for Gauntlet to use the same controls.  You'd have to be careful never to start Thor & Merlin or Thyra and Questor at the same time, though, as then (I think) you'd get both characters running around, and sooner or later one of them would stick behind a wall and get you stuck.

If that's the case, just play the 2-player Gauntlet clone. This uses ROMs from the 2-player version that was put out, where you can play any character from either set of controls (you push the joystick one of four ways to select the desired character before you hit start, IIRC).

See here:
http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyerdb&subpage=thumbs&id=3037

zvar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2019, 11:39:56 pm
  • One of these days I'll think of somthing cute.
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 01:48:19 pm »
If that's the case, just play the 2-player Gauntlet clone.

Thanks for that suggestion, and I did think of it yes.  But that leaves out Gauntlet II, Legends, and Dark Legacy.
I'm going to do what Kremmit suggested and get a cardboard box. :)
Probably end up with just 4 joysticks, and 4 butttons per joy (Want to try the D&D one with a real controller)
Just keep the board small and invite a couple people over to test.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Oddfeld

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2021, 07:04:15 am
  • I was Jeff Minter's llama!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 02:09:05 pm »
If that's the case, just play the 2-player Gauntlet clone.

Thanks for that suggestion, and I did think of it yes.  But that leaves out Gauntlet II, Legends, and Dark Legacy.

There's a 2 player version of Gauntlet II too (and pretty much all the other 4 player games - X-Men, The Simpsons etc).  Gauntlet Legends and Dark Legacy aren't in MAME are they? And even if they are they're recent games that are unlikely to be emulated smoothly, so unless you've got a console in your cab I doubt you'll be able to play them anyway.