Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hardware Rotation Faq (please sticky)  (Read 14529 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Hardware Rotation Faq (please sticky)
« on: December 22, 2004, 04:12:34 pm »
*Updated 12/29*

I'm not sure if this should be in displays or not, but here goes.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 10:13:58 pm by Howard_Casto »

jcrouse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2010, 05:53:51 pm
    • CPViewer
Re: Hardware Rotation Faq (please sticky)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 10:29:35 pm »
Howard,
      What video card do you plan on using and at what resolution do you plan on running it? Also what monitor are you using? I have a 19" U3100 in my cocktail. I run 640x480 resolution. I tried both a GeForce 3 TI500 and a GeForce 2 MX400 (I think) along with an ATI 7000 series chipset and had more than my share of issues with the drivers. Most of them were based around the monitor not handling the the resolutions/color depths/refresh rates well and syncing problems. When I would leave a game (mame) and return to my front end (MameWAH) the monitor would just scroll. I have worked with WG on the issues. It was left standing that I may need to go onto the board on the monitor and unsolder two IC's to allow it to work correctly. Hence, as you saw in my other post, I resorted to Pivot Pro software. For me it fixed all my issues and has never missed a beat. The one annoyance is that I can't set the FE as my shell. If I do when I return to the shell from a game it just scrolls. So I just put a shortcut in the startup folder and then turn the monitor on automatically after the system has booted with the timer I spoke of before. I figure this is something to do with the Pivot Pro software needing to start to Windows to do a few things. Maybe something to do with drivers/services/dependencies, not sure. I never looked into it too deep. Anyways, I just thought I'd share my experiences in a positive constructive post.

John

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 10:06:27 pm »
That sounds like a driver interface issue to me.  While writing this I found a nifty little tool called irotate.  What it does is interface with the drivers of all the popular video cards and handles rotation itself.  I had similar glitches before I started using it, but now everything seems to be working fine. 

One of the cool things is it supports command line switching, so I'm currently re-writing part of my fe to work well with it.  (Tell the fe not to rotate certain emulators while rotating others.... auto resizing of the skin when it's rotated, ect...) 

I'll be using a wg hybrid monitor that is capable of svga resolutions (which I don't care for, but the price was right)  so that stuff isn't as much of an issue for me.  I'll also be usign a radeon 7000. 

The pain about pivot pro is that it only rotates gdi applications, which means emulators and direct-x based front ends aren't effected.  Works for mamewah though, luckily for you.  :)

I'll probably run it at 1024x768, mainly because I plan on running some pc shooters which support vertical orientation and high resolutions. 

I hope that helps some people. 

Seriously, try out irotate, it rocks!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 11:49:17 pm »
Update:

I've been experimenting with visual pinball.  As I suspected the width and height are stored in the registry.  Something nice is the fact that the window isn't locked to a 4:3 aspect ratio, which means the render can be stretched to fill the whole screen when it's vertical. 

A more sensible option would be to make the window a square (like 768x768) and use the extra screen space on top to place the dmd display.

This stuff should be wrappable, so I'll work on the necessary additions to my wrapper next year.

rerstad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2006, 01:25:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 09:01:32 am »
One problem with iRotate that I haven't been able to work around yet (I reverted back to PivotPro in the meantime) is the keyboard shortcuts.  Ctl-Alt arrow rotates the screen, so when my nephew was playing he constantly hit P1s buttons 1 and 2 with the joystick and that would rotate the screen, meaning I had to fix it.  A bit annoying.  Maybe there's a way to change that to a far less likely combination, but I haven't been able to get anything like that to work.

tmasman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2024, 03:50:44 pm
  • Hello...
    • My (no so up to date) Home
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 09:12:20 am »
...so when my nephew was playing he constantly hit P1s buttons 1 and 2 with the joystick and that would rotate the screen...

You seriously need to NOT use MAME's default set-up if you're using a control panel...
It works "ok" if you're stuck with a keyboard, but it's always gonna mess you up if you use it with arcade controls.

Anyhow, good luck!
I'm not a freak!...
Oh wait...
Yes I am...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 01:07:03 am »
agreed.... mame was started in the dos days (i.e. all games ran in ms-dos mode fomr win95)  so like doom and other games, it improperly uses windows function keys.  The first thing you need to do on a mame install is map either the ctrl or alt mappings (or both) to something else. 

fitzmorrism

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2005, 04:58:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 02:45:49 pm »
Use Linux with AdvanceCD!!
Linux is the savior of the world, delivering us from MicroCrap!!

Katana Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2022, 04:41:14 pm
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 08:29:43 pm »
Why is this post a sticky?

lokki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2017, 12:57:48 pm
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 10:37:51 am »
Is there a list of video cards (or manufactures) that support Hardware rotation?
Are there any chipsets (MOBO with onboard video) that support hardware rotation?

Thanks

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 06:14:19 pm »
No... but that would be a great thing to add to this thread.

I can tell you now that any radeon class video card supports rotation via true hardware, or "psuedo-hardware", either of which work great.

lokki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 10:14:36 pm »
Hi,
I've been doing a little reasearch, and the Nvidia Nvrotate is not supported on
TNT, TNT2 or  Vanta. Older Video Cards (not sure if they had AGP)

I guess this means that Force (nForce, geForce,NForce) and Quadro series do support nvrotate.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_nvrotate.html

Not sure on ATI, but it seem that as far back as the RADEON 7000 supported some sort of of HW rotation.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2005, 04:31:25 am »
This is not suprising. 

Ati radeon cards (7000 to present) all use the catalyst dirver set, which supports rotation, therefore, any and all cards that use the catalyst drivers support rotation. 

Same goes with nvidia... all geforce cards (except for maybe generation 1) support rotation because they all use the same driver package. 

I do find the fact that you mentioned tnt cards laughable though.  Those things are ancient, they predate the rotatable lcd flat panel.  (i.e. there would be no practical use for rotation)

It's like confirming that a ati rage card doesn't support rotation.  ;)

To sum up any modern video card that's ati or nvidia supports rotation.  This of course includes the arcadevga, which is radeon based.  Matrox and other high end cards need to be verified by someone that's more familiar with them, preferably someone who actually has one. 

lokki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2005, 11:27:23 pm »
I do find the fact that you mentioned tnt cards laughable though.

blueznl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2019, 04:50:02 pm
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 01:14:01 pm »
Was there ever a proper tool or doc created to show how to add 'rotated screen' support? (to virtual pinball, future pinball, and vpinmame)

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 10:07:55 pm »
I have a cocktail cab with a vertical monitor

I can only comment of mame as I don't run anything else on my cab

When I first finished my cab I experimented with a lot of rotation software and the stuff that come with nvidia cards..

at the end of the day I found that a few mame game ran slower and some did not want to rotate properly at all.

To be fair.... 90% were fine

So after a couple of months I gave up and left Windows alone

I had much more joy using a FE that natively rotates and letting Mame rotate itself when required

My cab still looks cool as I masked windows pretty well

see here: http://www.members.optushome.com.au/backwash/software.htm

blueznl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2019, 04:50:02 pm
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 04:52:32 pm »
I should have put my question down just that bit better... I got all rotating stuff working, except for the pinball emulators.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 10:28:11 am »
Well future pinball will work in windowed mode probably, but definately not in fullscreen.  What I did for visual pinball was to modify the registry entry for the resolution for vp (for some stupid reason the authors decided to save settings to the windows registry.) and inverted it, so that it wouldn't crash.  It didn't look all that good though.