Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone make me PSX hack??? please  (Read 1794 times)

Demon-Seed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2022, 09:51:02 am
    • DemonCade (WORKING URL!)
Anyone make me PSX hack??? please
« on: October 05, 2002, 06:39:09 pm »
Hi,
I have been trying to solder a psx board into wires to hook to my cabinet controls...but I keep on screwing one or two up! Can anyone help me out and make me one with the wires i can just attach to my control panel? please let me know email me!! I would really appreciate it as I want to get a DC in the cabinet and ps2! I would appreciate an email.

thanks
Jim
Demonseed@mountaincable.net
Life is like a video game, a good one never dies..

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
Re:Anyone make me PSX hack??? please
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2002, 01:09:50 am »
how much? :)
I wont do less then $20 because its not worth the hassle of getting the pad then hack then go back the post office and send.Email me and Iwill do it for you..I also got a hacked dreamcast pad that I wanted to use for my panel with the switch box but as we all know..that never happend.SO dreamcast pad is ready to go too.$20 for the dreamcast pad and another $20 for psx hack.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2002, 01:21:04 am by SNAAAKE »

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2002, 04:41:11 am »
Demon-seed, getting frustrated is understandable (it happens to everyone).  Don't be quick to throw in the towel just yet.  Why don't you tell us whats going wrong, and we will let you know how to overcome it.  Believe me its worth learning how to do it this yourself, otherwise you won't be able to do much more.

Demon-Seed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2022, 09:51:02 am
    • DemonCade (WORKING URL!)
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2002, 08:43:45 am »
Hey,
I understand not throwing in the towel, its just that in the end its going to cost me much more than to ask someone to make it. Cause I will mess up more solder points and have to buy more pads :(

Jim
Life is like a video game, a good one never dies..

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2002, 01:29:58 pm »
Do a search on google, and you will find lots of tutorials for soldering.  This is something you are only going to learn by trial and error.

I'm not sure how much you already know, but some of my first mistakes when I started was that I was using a soldering iron tip that was severly oxidized (blackend) and solder wouldn't stick to it or melt quickly.  I also was using solder that was to thick (I now use very thin mostly silver based solder). And bought a new tip at radio shack for like $2. Learn to keep the tip clean and "tinned" with a thin layer of solder covering it (clean away excess solder off the tip by dabbing in a small damp sponge).

You may also notice it feels like you need 3 hands to do it correctly.  One to hold the soldering iron, one to hold the wire, and one to apply the solder.  It really helps if someone else holds the wire for you, or if you get one of those mini clamps called "helping hands" (radio shack sells them, they help hold projects and look like a pair of aligator clips and magnifying lens on a weighted stand).

Make sure the copper contact is clean and shinny. Put the wire on the surface, and heat up the wire and copper surface at the same time (iron should be touching both).  Leave it there for a couple seconds to heat both up, and then touch the solder to the wire and not the copper surface (while keeping the iron on both surface and wire).  The solder should melt into the wire and then "onto" the surface.  Use enough solder so you get a little hershey kiss type looking solder joint (that is shinny).

-Dave
« Last Edit: October 07, 2002, 01:34:43 pm by Dave_K. »

gnateye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2011, 11:22:36 am
  • 4 cabs and counting!!!
    • natty's arcade
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2002, 10:57:06 pm »
no one take this wrong way as spam or whatever, but visit my site for exactly what you are looking for, i am in the process of making 3 playstation hacks for someon right now and have already made a few usb ones for some other folks 8)

http://www.cosmicbreaks.com/images/arcade_stick/padhack/

nothin fancy, but they do the job, and so far (knock on wood) no screwed up solder joints.

gnateye

(hope i didnt offend anyone, i kow this isnt the for sale board.....)

gnateye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2011, 11:22:36 am
  • 4 cabs and counting!!!
    • natty's arcade
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2002, 11:11:50 pm »
if you do decide to try again yourself (its how i learned, i just tried it a few times until i got it right) go with drilling a small hole thru the copper contact on the board, and feedign the wire in from the back, its way easier to hold in place and makes for a nice clean joint. also like the other posts said, the right solder and a clean good tip are super important ( i leanred that the hard way too)

if i can learn to do it im sure you can too 8)

but i understand the instant gratification and less haslle of having someone else do it as well, so either way, same end result, more games!!!!