Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 1st Control Panel layout  (Read 3054 times)

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
Re: 1st Control Panel layout
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2005, 11:47:40 pm »
In the other thread, someone mentioned that they found that they use their spinner in a way that would be easier if on the other side

I was the guy who suggested the right-side spinner in roughy's thread, and I think you (JonnyBoy) made the correct final decision with your placement of the spinner.

That being said, I was a little shocked by the following post:

Okay guys, Scott over at MameRoom said that he can cut this thing tonite, I just need to finalize the design.

Man, I'd never pay to have somebody make me a CP without play-testing the layout first.   As I've said in other threads, I've had at least two "tweaks" to my original layout and they have made a WORLD of difference, even though the last one was only like 1/2" or something. 

And, it's clear to me, that there is more tweaking to go before mine is 'perfect'.  I'd really recommend that you get a cheap piece of wood and play-test your layout before dropping cash on somebody making your 'final' CP.

My 2-cents
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

JonnyBoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2009, 01:59:00 pm
  • Inka Dinka Do
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2005, 07:07:13 am »
A little update. I passed on the oppurtunity to cut it tonight for that very reason. I printed out some dimensions and made myself a cardboard panel to test it out on. I'll update you on my progress and changes to the design.
I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...

dennis808

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2021, 08:40:00 am
  • Holy Sanwa-sticks!
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2005, 11:03:51 am »
You made the right decision, young padawan ;)
I think the layout looks great, let's hope it feels great for you too.
"Complexity is the process by which the obvious is obscured by the irrelevant." -HSW

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2005, 10:25:00 pm »
A little update. I passed on the oppurtunity to cut it tonight for that very reason. I printed out some dimensions and made myself a cardboard panel to test it out on.

I think that's a good call.  Below I've attached a layout of my CP.  Like I said, I've tweaked it a couple times since this pic.  I moved the spinner oh so slightly to the right (or left?) and I moved the 4 way down and to the left so my arm fits perfectly between the player 1 joystick and the player 1 buttons.

Future changes will be moving ALL of player one to the right (closer to the center of the CP).  99% of my gameplay is single player and single joystick games and I've found that I'm annoyed about standing to the left-of-center.   To keep the trackball AND the 2nd player stuff while still having room to move the player 1 stuff, I think I'll have to move all the player1 and player2 buttons 'up' (closer to the screen) so I can squeeze the P1 joystick to the right.

I also may drop 1 of the Player2 buttons.  Honestly, I never play 2-player games at my house.  And I'm not sure how many simultaneous 2 player games need 3 buttons over only two.   Do I really need more than 2 buttons for the 2nd player?    Oh, I also (clearly) don't play any 'fighter' games at all.  No 6-button layout for me :)

No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower