Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Spinner and Trackball?  (Read 711 times)

zvar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2019, 11:39:56 pm
  • One of these days I'll think of somthing cute.
Spinner and Trackball?
« on: December 17, 2004, 08:42:09 pm »
I'm looking to build my first controll box, and I see a lot of plans with both a spinner and trackball.  Would I be able to have the same functionally (Even at the expense of loosing a bit of authentic feel) if I was to just use the trackball on games that like the spinner?  Will Mame even handle the inputs like that?

Thank you,
Steven

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
Re: Spinner and Trackball?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 10:50:59 pm »
I have a cab without a spinner right now. The trackball works well for quite a few spinner games like Tempest, Blasteroids and Two Tigers. If you can get over the fact that you're not controlling the game accurately, it's not a bad compromise.  ;D
I will probably add one eventually, but since I'm not crazy about Tron, the only spinner game I really feel I'm missing out on is Taito's Front Line.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 11:18:38 pm »
Front Line's controller is not really a spinner- it just looks like one from the outside.  It's a knob on top, but underneath it's really an 8-way joystick.  Plays well with one regular stick, one button, and one top-fire stick.

Matt Berry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2018, 06:09:06 pm
  • llama kind of tastes like chicken
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 07:17:04 am »
Well the most acurate way to test out if you can do without a spinner is to play the spinner games with a mouse. Some games will play ok, but for tempest and such a spinner is the way to go, but like I said try them out with the mouse and see what you think.