Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: NeoGEO MVS Cab Conversion - Help Please  (Read 2860 times)

absvicandmark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2010, 05:46:37 am
NeoGEO MVS Cab Conversion - Help Please
« on: June 18, 2006, 02:22:49 am »
Hello.
I have a 6 slot neogeo mvs electrocoin cabinet. I have found out it has a 25" hanatrex monitor which has a nice clear picture. I have removed most of the neogeo parts (memory card reader etc) so what is left is the control panel (4 buttons per player / 2 players) the monitor,jamma loom, coin slot and top marquee. At its present state, the cabinet will play jamma boards very well. However I want to convert the cab to a mame cabinet. I havent got space for all the jamma boards.
So, I have sold all my boards for a 1.5Ghz P4 PC, 40GB HD, 512MB Ram and I have enough money to buy new joysticks and buttons, a JPac and a ArcadeVGA card.
I have a couple of problems:
1. I read somewhere that I might get problems if I just plug the JPac into the jamma loom as the main PSU is still connected to power the monitor and the marquee and coin slot. I read that I have to disconnect the power to the jamma loom incase it blows the JPAC. Is this true? If so, I still want to use the coin unit as well as the marquee. Also, I still need to to turn the mains on for the cab to turn the monitor on (all inone PSU at bottom of cab). What is the best way to discon the power to the jamma loom?Im not worried about the sound as I will just connect the cab speakers to the pcs built in sound card.

2. I read that the arcadevga card gives out a 15Khz frequency. How do I find if my monitor will handle this? (its a 25" hanatrex monitor)

Im hoping to order the parts today so hopefully get an answer before I order.

Cheers guys.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
Re: NeoGEO MVS Cab Conversion - Help Please
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 07:18:58 am »
Just remember that the Neo Geo wiring standard is slightly different from standard JAMMA.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 06:58:46 pm »
Your monitor should be just fine with 15k, the ArcadeVGA puts out 15k specifically because arcade monitors use 15k. 

Peale is right about the wiring standard being slightly different from JAMMA, have a look at HardMVS.com- there's an article there on the differences.  If I remember right, there's power running where sound should be, or somesuch.  You'll definately want to fix that before you plug in your JPAC, you don't want to fry it.

As for disconnecting the power from a standard JAMMA setup before connecting, I dunno, I never used a JPAC.  If it's necessary, I'd expect it to be mentioned on the Ultimarc JPAC page.  If it doesn't say anything about it there, I'd assume that all you have to do is re-wire the JAMMA connector from NeoGeo to standard, and you're done.

absvicandmark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2010, 05:46:37 am
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 01:34:05 am »
I have already converted the neo loom to jamma. It was basically just converting the sound from stereo to mono (not that i`ll be using the jamma sound) - I done this when I added a volume pot as it was too loud!
Also the neogeo didnt have a -5v line but that was already added when I got the cab.
Also, the 4th button is wired up for both players and the neo geo has a select switch up and down where the jamma is blanked. DOnt suppose this would harm it.