Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Spinner / Trackwheel for Arkanoid  (Read 1983 times)

marcopolo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2011, 02:11:53 am
  • Life's a ---smurfette---
Spinner / Trackwheel for Arkanoid
« on: October 01, 2002, 12:01:47 am »
Hey guys,
I'm a die hard Arkanoid (Revenge of Doh, etc.) player and I am trying to find the spinner (or some people call it a trackwheel) which is a close to the original as possible.  My buddy just built his MAME cabinet and used a HAPP controls spinner, but I found it to be too slow moving - the gear ratio was all wierd.  I remember arkanoid in the arcade to be very fast moving / free moving wheel.  

I would like to buy vs. build my own - any idea on who sells these things?

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
Re:Spinner / Trackwheel for Arkanoid
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2002, 01:05:31 am »
Check out www.oscarcontrols.com, he has different types of spinners depending on what types of games you like.  He's very helpful and the products are top quality.  I just received my two model 2 spinners today in fact.

Cheers
-cdbrown

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2002, 03:18:48 pm »
Oscars are weighted (ie, let go and they continue to spin).  This is closer to tempest and major havoc.  I personally like these much better.

Arkanoids didn't at all.  This is better for quick changes in direction.

best case, go the ebay.  Arkanoid spinners go for much cheaper then tempest ones.  I've seen them for as cheap as 5 bucks + shipping.  Expect 15 - 20 bucks and you wont have to wait around.  There was one up in the last few days.

neuromancer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2006, 04:26:57 pm
  • Can I Play?
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2002, 12:59:44 pm »

Oscars are weighted (ie, let go and they continue to spin).  This is closer to tempest and major havoc.  I personally like these much better.

Is the major havoc you refer to a tempest conversion?? The way I remember major havoc (15 years ago...) is that the track roller was fairly stiff. I always had problems with not being able to get the little major to move all the way across the screen, because the roller would quit rolling.

Bob