Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Windows Snaps --> Dos Snaps (How?)  (Read 800 times)

Halo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2005, 03:00:03 am
  • I'm a lamer!
Windows Snaps --> Dos Snaps (How?)
« on: December 03, 2004, 09:39:47 am »
Okay, I think I got muddled - so I'm posting again.

I need to convert My MAME32 snaps to work in AdvanceMenu / ArcadeOS.

I have photoshop - if someone can walk me through how to convert them, I'd be extremely grateful. An explanation would also help, as I'm not entirely sure what the difference is - only that my MAME snaps won't work in dos.

A stone falls on the pot, woe to the pot. A pot falls on the stone, woe to the pot. In both cases it is bad for the pot.

JoyMonkey

• Voodoo Wiki Master . . .
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2023, 09:38:52 am
  • Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker
    • JoyMonkey.com
Re: Windows Snaps --> Dos Snaps (How?)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 09:43:21 am »
I think you need to convert them to 256 color mode (8-bit). But I thought AdvanceMenu could handle 16-bit. I know for a fact that ArcadeOS will only display 8-bit snaps.
What version of PhotoShop do you have? The recent versions have a nice batch feature that will automate the process for all your images. I'm not at a PhotoShop machine right now, but I'm sure someone else can walk you through it.

screaming

• Sweet! I'mma go make me some popovers!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2019, 03:15:34 pm
  • Registered lUser
    • shift eight (*) generation
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 10:05:30 am »
I need to convert My MAME32 snaps to work in AdvanceMenu / ArcadeOS.

I have photoshop - if someone can walk me through how to convert them, I'd be extremely grateful. An explanation would also help, as I'm not entirely sure what the difference is - only that my MAME snaps won't work in dos.

I don't know much about the capabilities of ArcadeOS, but if you want a nice   handy image utility check out InfranView.  It's small, quick, FREE, and does batch processing! If you were to use this utility, you would:

1) Open up Infranview
2) Go to File->Batch Conversion/Rename
3) Navigate to where your 16-bit files are on the right-hand side. Select them all and click Add (or if you want to just add all the files in that folder, click Add all)
4) Enter the folder where the new images will be placed in the text box labeled Output directory
5) Click Set advanced options
6) Check CHANGE COLOR DEPTH
7) Uncheck RESIZE
8) Select 256 Colors (8BPP)
9) Uncheck Overwrite existing files, unless you're sure this is what you want to do!
10) Click OK, then Start

-Steve

Halo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2005, 03:00:03 am
  • I'm a lamer!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 12:37:22 pm »
Awesome! Thanks a lot for the help, worked a treat :)

If someone has also done it in Photoshop CS, I'd appreciate knowing this one in PS too for future reference.

Thanks again!
A stone falls on the pot, woe to the pot. A pot falls on the stone, woe to the pot. In both cases it is bad for the pot.

JoyMonkey

• Voodoo Wiki Master . . .
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2023, 09:38:52 am
  • Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker
    • JoyMonkey.com
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 12:45:05 pm »
I've done it in CS, but as I said I don't have it in front of me so I'm not sure how acurate this will be.

Open one of your snaps.
Create a new action (icon to the left of the trashcan) in the Actions palette and hit record.
Select File>Save for Web and save the file in a new folder as a 256 color PNG-8 file.
Close the image.
Hit stop on the 'action recording' palettey thing.
Now, in the File menu go to Automate>Batch...
It opens a dialogue asking you for a source folder (your old snaps) and lets you select an action that you've recorded from the drop-down menu. Select the last action you recorded and hit OK.
It should open all your snaps, then save them as 256 color PNGs in your new folder.

Sorry if these instructions are way off, this is from my fuzzy memory.  :P
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 11:10:14 pm by JoyMonkey »