Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox 3.0 Beta 5 Released  (Read 27533 times)

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox 3.0 Beta 5 Released
« on: December 02, 2004, 12:22:59 am »
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox 3.0 Beta 5 has been released.  You can get it at http://webpages.charter.net/celamantia/jukebox.

The purpose of this release is to test a major bug fix. Many of you have been experiencing random crashes over a period of time, or perhaps crashes after playing specific MP3 files. I've suspected that these are "bad" MP3 files where the last frame has an incorrect size, causing the decoder to read past the end of a buffer. I've rewritten the memory allocation, but I can't prove that I've fixed a random crash pretty much by definition. However, MP3's that were known to crash the jukebox no longer crash it.

(NOTE: I do not have my DOS test machine available so I have not been able to test the DOSCAB.EXE executable in this version, although it should still work. You should back up your old DOSCAB.EXE and JUKEBOX.DAT before trying this version.)

There are a couple of other minor new features in this version:

• A change to the mouse handling code has been made that should help solve some of the problems with touchscreens. If you have a touchscreen, please try this one out and let me know what touchscreen you have and whether or not it works. (For DOS users, you'll have to add a [Mouse] section to your JUKEBOX.INI file containing the line mouse=I33 and have your touchscreen mouse drivers loaded before launching the jukebox.)
  • More, larger font sizes have been added for the dot-matrix displays, so higher resolution displays should look better now.
  • Software volume control has been added. See the [VolumeControl] section of jukebox.ini for details, and look in controls.ini for how to map the new features. By default, Volume Up and Volume Down are mapped to the - (minus) and = (equals) keys, Volume Minimum and Volume Maximum are mapped to the square brackets below them, and Volume Mute is mapped to the ~ (tilde) key.
At this point, 3.0 Beta 5, although still in progress, is more stable than the released version 2.41. The biggest problem in version 3.0 is still the lack of documentation; most of the documentation you need for the beta can be found as comments in JUKEBOX.INI and the skin files.

CD skins are still broken in this version.

Please let me know if you find any wierdness.

Thanks for everyone's help and support!

--Chris

--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Dermbrian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 05:05:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox 3.0 Beta 5 Released
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 11:48:02 am »
Chris, I think you've achieved rock-solid stability here.   At least on my WindowME PC...Micron Millenia RS-2100 with nothing other than factory audio and video.

I set the app up to autoplay after a 2 second period.  No hiccups after 3 hours.  Trust me, it wouldn't have ever made it 30-45 minutes on these same files before.

I also minimized the app a few times and did some other tasks including web surfing during this period.  Just a minimal amount of audio stutters while switching apps, as expected, and no audio issues otherwise.  Sounds great!

That's probably all I'll say today.  I intend to kick it off and let it run overnight tonight.

Way to go!

Brian

RacerX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2022, 12:06:34 pm
  • Longtime member, sometime poster.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 01:36:49 pm »
I have two DOS boxes that I will set up to run overnight tonight, as well.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 02:08:06 pm »
I have at least one file that will still kill the jukebox.  It is definately a bad MP3; in Media Player, you can hear a high-pitched hiccup 16 seconds into the song.  Sometimes the new build dies right at 16 seconds, sometimes it dies at the end of the song, and sometimes it dies a couple of songs later.  I'm not sure I'll ever be able to account for all types of bad MP3's...

Thanks for the testing!  It is much appreciated!

--Chris
--Chris

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 02:20:03 pm »
I have at least one file that will still kill the jukebox.  It is definately a bad MP3; in Media Player, you can hear a high-pitched hiccup 16 seconds into the song.  Sometimes the new build dies right at 16 seconds, sometimes it dies at the end of the song, and sometimes it dies a couple of songs later.  I'm not sure I'll ever be able to account for all types of bad MP3's...

That's interesting.  Of course the 'high pitched hiccup at 16 seconds' would be enough reason for me to repair the mp3.  A little dead silence would be better and then the problem would go away on the re-encode. 

I would think that it's likely that some of the freeware mp3 checking tools would identify that as bad, too.  I wouldn't mind trying to check that out if it's small enough to email to me.

Brian

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 02:29:21 pm »
--Chris

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 11:39:17 am »
Chris, did you change how skins and controls work in DOSCab v.3 Beta 5?  When I tried to just copy the executable over my existing one (I backed it up first), the text on my labels all came out light green, and none of my controls would function.

But when I made a new directory and copied everything that came in the Beta 5 zip file into there and set it up to point to my mp3's, everything worked as it should.

No big deal because I can do that same thing on my other machine, but I was curious about it.

*Love* the volume controls, BTW!   :)

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 11:43:28 am »
Chris, did you change how skins and controls work in DOSCab v.3 Beta 5?
--Chris

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 12:17:03 pm »
Gotcha!  Thanks.  I'll give that a try on my other box tonight.

I didn't have any crashes on the one box that I left running for several hours last night, BTW.  So far, so good!

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 01:58:54 am »
I've tried beta5 in XP and the touchscreen works(!).... good stuff...!!!!!

unfortunately it also seemed to play a mp3 file of mine at 500% speed and then crash 3 seconds after starting the song.... would you like me to email to you?

I'm having troubles with touchscreen in DOS - not doscab related but touchscreen related, so I have not been able to test that as promised.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 02:42:04 am »
Just to add - the failing mp3 is very low bitrate (32kbps?) which may be the problem. None of my other mp3's are this low so I am not too bothered.

Also the clear button does not seem to clear the playlist....

Good work though!

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2004, 09:55:48 am »
I did finally let the Beta 5 version run in random mode overnight last night.   It was still running when I got up this morning. 8)    So add those 7 hours or so to the 3 hour test I did the other day.

I then tried an earlier version using the same mp3 directory in random mode and, again, the earlier version bombed out.  This time about 45 minutes after I started it from a fresh boot. 

Those mp3's are all variable bit rate recorded with the '-alt -preset -extreme' settings of the LAME encoder.

I also just tried the Beta 5 version with some very low bit rate spoke word stuff (16 kbps, 32 kbps mono....) and they played OK.    No high speed playback as reported above.   I have run into that on some players with some files, though. 

It still sounds like you've licked the biggest  issue, Chris.   I have some commercial audio programs that I have to reboot after running because they leave the PC sluggish and prone to lockup.  But not WinCab now.

Brian

Brian

garyh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2011, 02:30:17 am
  • If God rides a Harley then the devil rides an LC.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2004, 04:14:28 pm »
Silver,

What hardware & software is your touchscreen? Mine doesn't work at all with WinCab.

Regards

Gary

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004, 09:57:04 pm »
The one I've been using for this is a 7" lilliput widescreen touchscreen. Its USB and VGA. (small but looks good).

Some details here: http://www.lilliputuk.com/productinfo.php?product=20

It uses drivers from here: www.egalax.com.tw

Its mainly designed for installing in a car (12V DC) but works fine.

As of beta5, it works within Wincab. (theres a few issues of wincab losing focus 2 seconds after being launched, and having to double click selections - but altering driver settings has helped here)

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2004, 11:06:07 am »
Also the clear button does not seem to clear the playlist....
The clear button does not clear the playlist; it clears the current entry.  So if you key in D4 and change your mind before you hit Enter, you can use the clear button to erase the entry and start again.  There is no way to clear the entire playlist... that would be pretty antisocial to those who paid for songs in that queue... :)  I could add a button for that, but would only recommend it on a free-play setup or for testing.  But more options is better, right?

--Chris
--Chris

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2004, 11:07:58 am »
The one I've been using for this is a 7" lilliput widescreen touchscreen. Its USB and VGA. (small but looks good).

Some details here: http://www.lilliputuk.com/productinfo.php?product=20

It uses drivers from here: www.egalax.com.tw

Its mainly designed for installing in a car (12V DC) but works fine.

As of beta5, it works within Wincab. (theres a few issues of wincab losing focus 2 seconds after being launched, and having to double click selections - but altering driver settings has helped here)
What settings did you have to tweak?  I might need to put that in the docs...
--Chris

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2004, 06:06:44 am »
Aha - thanks for clearing up the er..'clear' button.  I only run mine in 'freeplay' mode so I'm not thinking about credits. Just about skipping other peoples extremly bad taste! (Also I have some long 1 hor plus mp3 mixes.... surely too much value for 1 credit!)

Touchscreen. Mine comes with drivers plus a system tray app that lets you quickly switch between right mouse/left mouse on touching. (The drivers also let you hold down your finger to fake a right mouse click). I found that running WinCab would casue the system tray up to pop up and fight for focus with wincab. Sometimes when I alt-tabbed back it would stay in wincab, sometimes it would always pop back to desktop and the app. Killing this app solved the problem.

The other issue is that to select a song in wincab you have to double click a song (or select it and hit select) which is never natural on a touchscreen, so I used the touchscreen drivers to fake a double click on 1 touch - this works but then causes other problems out of wincab. Ideally I'd like a 1 touch 1 play system in wincab....

Hope that all made sense!

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2004, 08:44:16 am »
Aha - thanks for clearing up the er..'clear' button.
--Chris

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2004, 01:33:47 pm »

simian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2005, 01:57:46 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2004, 07:50:14 pm »
Hi! I'm really excited about this particular project.  I do have one question(or request) though, can the indexing of the songs be done in such a way that every song has a definite alphanumeric assignment in the database?  I'm wondering if it could be done like a23,a789,a456 etc.  The whole concept of making it like a karaoke machine which simply saves the songs with a particular number then plays once the series of numbers are entered,granting that the credit allows it.  Thanks

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2004, 09:01:59 am »
Hi! I'm really excited about this particular project.
--Chris

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2004, 01:42:08 pm »
Chris,

Any chance of adding an option to maybe ignore the first "x" number of characters in the ID3 songname or filename when generating the song labels?  The reason would be to hide the track number that I and I think many others use as part of the songname.  For me, that would always be two digits and a space, but I'm guessing people have libraries with dashes, or three digit numbers, etc.

Also, have you noticed that the fidelity is just a tad better when the program has the focus than when it's in the background?  Sounds like it to me.  I found that interesting....not a huge difference but it is a slightly fuller sound when it's given more resources, it seems.

Brian

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2004, 01:56:20 pm »
Any chance of adding an option to maybe ignore the first "x" number of characters in the ID3 songname or filename when generating the song labels?
--Chris

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2004, 04:11:30 pm »
By default, it will ignore anything up to the last dash-space, so "01 - Josie And The Pussycats - 3 Small Words" will come out as "3 Small Words".  However, "02-Stairway To Heaven" will not be changed because there is no space after the dash.  Likewise, "02 Stairway To Heaven" will not be changed because there is no dash.

Understood.  Thanks for reminding me.  I appreciate all the hard work you've put in to making your program world-class.

If only the original ID3 tag fields were longer.  I went with the "01 Stairway to Heaven" philosophy because that's three characters for the track number.  "01 - Stairway to Heaven" uses up 5 characters for the track number out of the woefully inadequate 30 characters available.

01 Fanfare for the Common Man

vs

01 - Fanfare for the Common Ma

I looked into using the filename and setting the 'use ID3 tag's' kind of option to 'false', but quickly saw that the artist field gets to be a problem then.  Things I store in Genre\Artist\Album end up with the Genre as the artist field.  Compilation albums...no way.  So I'll stick with the ID3 tags.

I'll slowly convert to the "01 - Stairway To Heaven" for both the ID3 songname and the file name.  It seems to be more standard.  I'll live with more truncation on the songnames in the long run.

Brian

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2004, 04:19:10 pm »
If only the original ID3 tag fields were longer.
--Chris

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2004, 04:23:11 pm »
Quote from: Chris
Doesn't ID3v2 allow for longer fields?  Perhaps you need to update your tagger... DOSCab/WinCab supports ID3v2.
[quote

I didn't realize that.  That's good news.   

I'll be 'touching' every MP3 I have over the next few weeks as I continue to add album art and reorganize my archiving to CDROM's.  I'll add ID3v2 tags while I do that.

Thanks.  Maybe this will be my last time to do this.. ::)

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2004, 04:34:41 pm »
--Chris

TheOtherBob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2007, 09:07:39 pm
  • Sunspot activity has increased energy output...
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2004, 12:28:19 pm »
Thank you for the neat Jukebox program.  It looks spectacular.

One issue I'm having is my trackball doesn't work in wincab.  I'm running an ultimarc trackball via a usb optipac.  I have a working pointer in Windows and I've verified that mouse=Enabled is in the jukebox.ini.  When I run wincab I can see a pointer in the middle of the jukebox but I can't move it.

Any ideas?

Thanks! :)

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2004, 01:38:06 pm »
One issue I'm having is my trackball doesn't work in wincab.
--Chris

TheOtherBob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2007, 09:07:39 pm
  • Sunspot activity has increased energy output...
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2004, 04:25:57 pm »
Will do.... THANKS!!    :)

froggerman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2015, 03:23:14 am
  • You want how many buttons?!
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2004, 05:14:12 am »
Hi Chris,

Is there any way to control to size of the 'new, larger fonts' that are used for the credit dispaly and the selection display or are they set automatically based on the resolution?

PS - Nice job on this release, it seems to have fixed a number of problems.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2004, 09:15:36 am »
Hi Chris,

Is there any way to control to size of the 'new, larger fonts' that are used for the credit dispaly and the selection display or are they set automatically based on the resolution?

They are set automatically based on the size of the displays.  Each display has a setting for height in pixels (relative to the skin background) and a number of lines. Once the displays have been rescaled and rotated, the true height is divided by the number of lines and the next smallest font is used.  So if you need a larger font, reduce the number of lines in a display or increase the height of the display.  The larger fonts were added because at resolutions over 1024x768, the largest font was already in use and the gaps between lines would just get bigger.  There used to be four sizes of dot-matrix fonts available; now there are six.

With the bigger fonts now available, at least one of the skins will need tinkering to look right.

The fixed fonts are necessary for the dot-matrix displays, as dot matrix fonts look horrible when auto scaled.  It's a ton of work to add a new dot-matrix font, though, because they're created by hand.  I've considered allowing regular TrueType fonts in the displays, but that's a low priority right now.

--Chris

--Chris

Reaper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2006, 09:11:10 am
  • I want to finish my arcade cabinet!
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2004, 09:27:34 am »
Seems to work fine on a p120 laptop under win98se with 32mb ram although the pointer wont work in the software (not earlly a problem as I will sort out an external keypad for it soon.
Does this support mps3's locatch on a different machine (I assume as long as the path is correct it will?)

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2004, 09:32:39 am »
Seems to work fine on a p120 laptop under win98se with 32mb ram although the pointer wont work in the software (not earlly a problem as I will sort out an external keypad for it soon.
There's a fix for that; get http://webpages.charter.net/celamantia/jukebox/alleg41.dll and put it in the jukebox directory.  Or disable the mouse in jukebox.ini if you're not using it.
Does this support mps3's locatch on a different machine (I assume as long as the path is correct it will?)
If the remote directory is mapped to a drive letter it will, but it does not support UNC paths.  The entire MP3 is loaded before its played, though, so if you have a slow network you may have a delay between songs. 

--Chris
--Chris

Reaper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2006, 09:11:10 am
  • I want to finish my arcade cabinet!
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2004, 10:35:57 am »

If the remote directory is mapped to a drive letter it will, but it does not support UNC paths.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2004, 10:42:17 am »

If the remote directory is mapped to a drive letter it will, but it does not support UNC paths.
--Chris

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2004, 01:05:35 am »
Hi Chris,

They are set automatically based on the size of the displays.  Each display has a setting for height in pixels (relative to the skin background) and a number of lines. Once the displays have been rescaled and rotated, the true height is divided by the number of lines and the next smallest font is used.  So if you need a larger font, reduce the number of lines in a display or increase the height of the display.  The larger fonts were added because at resolutions over 1024x768, the largest font was already in use and the gaps between lines would just get bigger.  There used to be four sizes of dot-matrix fonts available; now there are six.

With the bigger fonts now available, at least one of the skins will need tinkering to look right.

The fixed fonts are necessary for the dot-matrix displays, as dot matrix fonts look horrible when auto scaled.  It's a ton of work to add a new dot-matrix font, though, because they're created by hand.  I've considered allowing regular TrueType fonts in the displays, but that's a low priority right now.

--Chris
Thanks Chris. Now that I know how they work I should be able to tweak the displays as need. I did notice the automatic size change on the song dispaly. Works just as you sais.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2004, 01:17:06 am »
Thanks Chris. Now that I know how they work I should be able to tweak the displays as need. I did notice the automatic size change on the song dispaly. Works just as you sais.
And I just (literally seconds ago) added the ability to change that font, so now the jukebox will ship with a couple of .fnt files for the displays.  Again, I may add TrueType to the displays later, but for now this is a quick way to deal with the issue.  I just whipped up a quick Arial font and it worked fine.  I'll probably add a couple of LED-ish fonts to the distribution.

--Chris
--Chris

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2004, 07:50:03 am »
Reducing the size of the Credits and Selection display by 10 pixels got me the font size I wanted. Cheers.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2004, 07:51:55 am »
[quote author=Reaper link=topic=28354.msg244934#msg244934
That should be fine & as for the delay, I have a 10/100 switched network but if there is a delay I will just think of it as the "Record" changing :)

You will have no probems for this unless you have huge mp3 files - I have a pile of long mixes (45mins+each) which introduces a huge delay.

Its only a problem for wireless which is too slow not to stream.