Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Betson Imperial Multisync problem  (Read 21412 times)

wpcmame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2024, 01:27:00 pm
Re: Betson Imperial Multisync problem
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2004, 09:28:47 am »
I believe it does the whole range - I ran a test floppy (do a search on the boards here, can't remember off hand who set it up for me to test) and it handled nearly everything thrown at it.
You mean that it can do 18KHz. That is really interesting since it means that you can run vertical games without stretch on a horizontal monitor at the correct refreshrate. Powerstrip or advmame should be able to create such a mode.
According to the specs on the Kortek site, I recall it has a digital memory for up to six non-standard resolution settings.
The problem with such a statement is that is says nothing. The monitor can't store settings based on resolution since it doesn't know how many pixels the picture is built up from. It only got the sync pulses to work from so it must use some kind of interval on these frequencies to determine which setting to use.

In another thread someone tested all modes on the AVGA card and found out that the monitor got at least separate setting for 15.7KHz, 31KHz and 38KHz. It also seemd like it stored different settings for <55, 55-58, >58 Hz refreshrates in the 15.7KHz group. Question is still how wide the ranges are. Will 18KHz be covered by the same settings as 15.7Khz or
are there special 18KHz settings as well.

desmatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2006, 02:25:53 pm
    • Easy MameCab
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2004, 06:59:16 pm »
You mean that it can do 18KHz. That is really interesting since it means that you can run vertical games without stretch on a horizontal monitor at the correct refreshrate. Powerstrip or advmame should be able to create such a mode.

My thoughts exactly, which is why I'm really dying to know for sure.  If the kortek actually handles 17-22 kHz then it can perfectly emulate every game, including vertical games run horizontally, which is a big deal for advancemamers.

According to the specs on the Kortek site, I recall it has a digital memory for up to six non-standard resolution settings.

The problem with such a statement is that is says nothing. The monitor can't store settings based on resolution since it doesn't know how many pixels the picture is built up from. It only got the sync pulses to work from so it must use some kind of interval on these frequencies to determine which setting to use.

In another thread someone tested all modes on the AVGA card and found out that the monitor got at least separate setting for 15.7KHz, 31KHz and 38KHz. It also seemd like it stored different settings for <55, 55-58, >58 Hz refreshrates in the 15.7KHz group. Question is still how wide the ranges are. Will 18KHz be covered by the same settings as 15.7Khz or
are there special 18KHz settings as well.

From my experience it's almost always determined by the horizontal clock, though on some like my pc monitor, vclocks can also make a difference.  Usually it has to do with a certain horizontal range though.  My older pc monitor used to save settings between 4kHz or there abouts.  The ADI one i'm on now, seems to handle 1kHz, which is pretty incredible.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 07:04:16 pm by desmatic »

desmatic

• Offline Offline
    • Easy MameCab
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2004, 07:09:52 pm »
I believe it does the whole range - I ran a test floppy (do a search on the boards here, can't remember off hand who set it up for me to test) and it handled nearly everything thrown at it.

It was me.  It's still available at

www.msu.edu/user/jonesdes/files/advvboot.zip

Do you know if the kortek can handle hclocks between 17kHz - 22kHz.  These are the really important ones, the ones that the D9200 doesn't support.

jimj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 10:55:09 pm
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2004, 07:18:47 pm »
In another thread someone tested all modes on the AVGA card...
In case anyone's interested that thread is here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,28954.msg242630.html#msg242630

I added the OSD display ranges to ArcadeVGA.txt so that you can easily see what other resolutions you'll affect when you change the OSD settings.  Unfortunately I'm away from my Mame cabinet for the holidays, so I still don't know if I can get my AVGA and Betson working correctly.

KevSteele

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2021, 08:42:43 am
  • Retrogaming Media Mogul in Rehab
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2004, 07:39:45 pm »

It was me.
Kevin Steele, Former Editor and Publisher of RetroBlast! and GameRoom Magazine

desmatic

• Offline Offline
    • Easy MameCab
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2004, 04:06:02 am »
In another thread someone tested all modes on the AVGA card...
In case anyone's interested that thread is here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,28954.msg242630.html#msg242630

I added the OSD display ranges to ArcadeVGA.txt so that you can easily see what other resolutions you'll affect when you change the OSD settings.  Unfortunately I'm away from my Mame cabinet for the holidays, so I still don't know if I can get my AVGA and Betson working correctly.

That's a pretty interesting post.  There is, of course, a solution for your centering woes, but you'd need to use advancemame for it to work.

desmatic

• Offline Offline
    • Easy MameCab
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2004, 04:12:30 am »

It was me.  It's still available at

www.msu.edu/user/jonesdes/files/advvboot.zip

Do you know if the kortek can handle hclocks between 17kHz - 22kHz.  These are the really important ones, the ones that the D9200 doesn't support.

I have to admit, my memory's a bit fuzzy, but I recall the Kortek handled pratically everything you set up on the boot disk (I think there was one mode that it didn't like, but that was about it.)

Sorry for not taking better notes! (That was when I messed up my AVGA card).

Kevin

thanks kev.  You might want to add that to your kortek review, as its really important info to advancemamers, so is jimj's findings about the centering modes, particularly the part about where they're at and how many there are.

GMZombie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2022, 10:11:23 am
  • I am a living Legend who fixes stuff... mostly
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2005, 08:48:41 pm »
wait a second...i ran all of my vertical games horizontally without any problem and to what the resolution should be with a d9200....i must be one of the lucky ones who had gotten a d9200 shipped to my home none less without having any problems?? Anyways i just thought id voice my opinion of the d9200 and i was actually thinking about getting a betson until seeing this post....unless anyone has some good reviews of it?>?

hiperco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2014, 08:15:13 pm
  • Mame is Cool
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2005, 08:55:49 pm »
By any chance could someone post pictures of one with a rotation problem?  I'd like to understand how bad it looks.  Thanks!

Callindril

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2005, 09:38:00 pm
  • What?? Me play with power tools??
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2005, 08:49:56 am »
Anyone have the actual deminsions of this beast?  Im wondering if I can get it to shoehorn into an old Double Dragon cab that has a 19" in now thats on the fritz..

KevSteele

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2021, 08:42:43 am
  • Retrogaming Media Mogul in Rehab
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2005, 09:00:01 am »
Anyone have the actual deminsions of this beast?
Kevin Steele, Former Editor and Publisher of RetroBlast! and GameRoom Magazine

Callindril

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2005, 09:38:00 pm
  • What?? Me play with power tools??
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2005, 11:30:04 am »
Thanks for the info..

Well, seems that neither monitor will fit in the Double Dragon cab...

The monitor area in the cab is 23 x 23, and these moitors appear to be 22x24.5

So close...and yet so far....