Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Betson Imperial Multisync problem  (Read 21397 times)

The Spade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2005, 02:10:37 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Betson Imperial Multisync problem
« on: November 30, 2004, 11:47:16 pm »
I just got my 27" in tonight but there is a slight headache with it.  The rotate control does not work at all.  I assume this is something hardware-related.  The rotation is off by about less than 5 degrees (most noticable at the lower right corner), but being a perfectionist, that's pretty (censored!) annoying.  So, if there is a hardware issue, what are my options?  Must I have to wait for send it back all the way to Betson for a replacement?  Is there something I am overlooking in terms of the controls?  Yes, I know how to find ROTATE, so don't ask.  Would it be simpler to call a local arcade repair service to come and have a look at it?

For the record, I will be contacting Betson later this week about this, but hoping there's a quicker solution to this.

stiffarmleft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2005, 10:49:05 am
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Betson Imperial Multisync problem
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 12:00:11 am »
It doesn't work on my Betson Imperial either, but I did not want to deal with the hassle of taking it out of my cab and sending it back.  I wonder if it works on anyone's monitor.

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 02:08:08 am »
How coincidental, I am having the same failure in my rotation control!!   And my 15khz mode is off by about 5 degrees too.  I was able to right it with the parallelogram adjustment, but then I get a saw tooth distortion on one side...which again tells me it really needs to be rotated instead.

I actually live within driving distance of a Betson location, and drove up there last week to buy the monitor (avoiding shipping charges  ;D).  I called them this week on the rotation failure and the tech said it sounded like a defect.  The sales rep (nice guy) said I can bring it in for a free exchange as they just got a new shipment of RTs in.  I'll see if I can get the tech guy to check out all the adjustments on a new monitor before I walk away with the replacement (and let you know what he says).  I'm planning on going up there on Thursday.

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 02:16:25 am »
One more observation...the focus adjustment doesn't have any noticable effect for me (maybe it malfunctioning too?)  You guys have this problem?

jimj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 10:55:09 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 11:35:28 pm »
I've got the same problems as everyone else.  My 15khz mode is off by about 5 degrees, my rotation doesn't work, and my V. Focus doesn't work.  I just got my monitor a couple weeks ago, so it looks like I'll be giving Betson a call tomorrow.

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 12:10:58 am »
Either this is one massive manufacturing defect, or we are all missing something.  Hoping the answers will come tomorrow when I visit Betson during lunch.

Will

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2012, 03:32:27 am
  • Finished Lurking.....
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 12:46:49 am »
One thing is for sure is things are not rosey in Betson monitor land.Following all your guys threads and you guys are not giving me reasons to buy this thing.Seems like this thing has just as much problems as wg d-9200.

jimj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 12:58:17 am »
One thing is for sure is things are not rosey in Betson monitor land.Following all your guys threads and you guys are not giving me reasons to buy this thing.Seems like this thing has just as much problems as wg d-9200.

Yeah, to think the main reason I chose the Betson is because I thought I'd be getting a simple plug 'n play monitor with no problems.  The 9200 is sounding better all the time, but unfortunately it's too late for me!  I think this would be a great monitor if its problems were fixed.  I'm hoping that we just got a bad batch that Betson will replace for free.

KevSteele

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2021, 08:42:43 am
  • Retrogaming Media Mogul in Rehab
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 08:56:10 am »
I'll chime in here - my onscreen rotate function doesn't seem to do anything, either. Luckily for me, the onscreen image was fine when I got the monitor, so I didn't need to rotate it.

I'm going to dig around the specs and the monitor a bit and see if I can find a manual potentionmeter on the circuit board to adjust the rotation and focus (as it is done on the D9200)

I'm also going to be calling my contact at Betson soon, so I'll see what he has to say about these problems.

Kevin

UPDATE: I checked the service manual, and it mentions that a rotation failure could be due to a loose tilt connection (CN402). Unfortunately, the diagrams fail to identify where, exactly, CN402 is on the board! The service manual has some lousy schematics. I'll keep digging, though...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 09:18:22 am by KevSteele »
Kevin Steele, Former Editor and Publisher of RetroBlast! and GameRoom Magazine

The Spade

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 08:53:58 pm »
I'd like to say I'm 'glad' to see I'm not alone, but being glad that folks having problems is just not right.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 08:55:32 pm by The Spade »

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 01:57:26 am »
Ok, so I went up to see the Betson techs in person today during lunch, and came back with some good/bad news.  First I want to say the techs at Betson were very helpfull and supportive of me...even though I was a consumer and not a vending company.   Ok so here is the short of it...

Good news is, you won't have to go through the hassle of returning your monitors, because nothing is broken on them.

Bad news is, it appears the rotation control and v.focus are not fully implemented.  The menu's are there, but it appears the monitors are not wired up to do this.  It could be something they were planning on implementing but never did (and forgot to remove the options from the menus)...I don't know.  My contact at Betson is going to follow up on this and I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Ok now to the longer version..  I drove up during lunch today to exchange my monitor.  Again, everyone was helpful and ready to make an exchange.  We took a brand new RT model out of the box, and powered it up right there and tested out the controls.  Sure enough, rotation and v.focus did not work.  In looking closer at the monitor, we could see there was no connection between the yolk coil and the PCB to even allow this type of operation.   They were just as curious as I why this was.  The tech said he would call around and find out what the scoop is on this.

In the service manual (as Kevin pointed out above) there is mention of a CN402.  The schematic shows CN402 as a 2 wire connection from the PCB to the yolk coil.  There is no CN402 that I could find, nor a 2 wire connection to the coil. 

So what are we to do?  Well I hate to say it, but we have to live with these imperfections.  With a little determination, I was able to make enough adjustments to the workable options to make my problems less noticable.  Thankfully these issues are only in 15khz mode, as the VGA modes looks fine to me. Even in 15khz mode, I don't notice the squishing or rotation as much while I was playing games ...but of course like owning a new car, you know where every single scratch is on your new baby.  :(   I doubt others will ever notice.

One last note.  It may be possible to adjust rotation by manually adjusting the hex slugs in the yolk coil, but I'm really not going to risk screwing it up any further.  There is also the manual focus knob on the flyback that you could also tweak if you are a perfectionist.   In all there are still more digital controls on this than the 9200 and with a lot of tweaking you can get it to perform within arcade monitor specifications (however loose those may be to PC monitor specifications).  ;D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 12:26:41 pm by Dave_K. »

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 07:23:27 am »
Wow...thanks for the update!

Not exactly good news, but at least it's nice to know what's going on.

Kevin

jimj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 09:00:14 am »
Thanks for the update Dave_K.  After getting to actually play some more games I think my monitor is ok too.  I've only got two issues left that I'm not sure are normal.

1.  After doing the degaussing dance my bottom right hand corner looks much better.  In an all red screen you can still see a little discoloration in the bottom right hand corner, but I've never been able to see it in a game.  However my degaussing dance seems to have introduced a little discoloration in the bottom left corner now.  :'(  It's not as bad as my bottom right used to be, but you can notice it in all the Nokia color screens.  As of yet I haven't noticed it in gameplay either.  Should I perform the voodoo degaussing dance again?  Am I more likely to make the problem worse or better?

2.  All games that run at 288x224 (ala Pacman) appear to shake left and right.  This is most prominent during the game info screen.  I probably wouldn't have even noticed it if it wasn't for the game info screen.  However, now that I know it's there I can see if in the game if I look closely for it.  Upon closer inspection it appears that the image isn't actually shaking, but rather the pixels on the edge of letters, pictures, etc. are flickering.  This gives the impressing that the screen is shaking horizontally.  If I look really closely at other resolutions I can see this effect too, but it's not nearly as noticeable (and even at 288x224 it hasn't bothered me during actual gameplay yet).  So my questions are:
Has anyone else seen this effect?
Can anything be done to fix this, or is this just another feature of arcade monitors that give them more character?  :)

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 09:07:14 am »
jimj:

1. It should be fine to do the degaussing dance again. I've done it several times - with each run you should be able to "fine-tune" the colors on your display.

My Betson has some slight red-color purity issues when it's up against the wall (could be a power line, dunno) - moving the cab out gets rid of it.

2. The "shake" could be due to an interlaced video mode being used. I'm just guessing here, but it might be the monitor is running at 512x512, which is "flickery" on my Betson because it's an interlaced video mode (the monitor draws the even lines first, then the odd). Try experimenting with some other resolution settings for Pac-Man and enable/disable hardware stretch, if the flickering drives you nuts.

Kevin

jimj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 02:27:36 pm »
1. It should be fine to do the degaussing dance again. I've done it several times - with each run you should be able to "fine-tune" the colors on your display.

By "fine-tune" do you mean pray that it happens to work this time?  :)  I just tried degaussing it again, and it didn't seem to make any difference.  If repeated degaussings don't fix it am I just out of luck, or would Betson be likely to help me with something like this?

2. The "shake" could be due to an interlaced video mode being used. I'm just guessing here, but it might be the monitor is running at 512x512, which is "flickery" on my Betson because it's an interlaced video mode (the monitor draws the even lines first, then the odd). Try experimenting with some other resolution settings for Pac-Man and enable/disable hardware stretch, if the flickering drives you nuts.

This has raised even more questions for me.  I turned on hardware stretch which made the screen more blurry, but it also helped the shaking.  When I let Mame choose the resolution the Betson reports that it's running at "15.9KHz 51Hz" when you go into the OSD.  Is there a way to get the monitor to tell you what resolution it's actually running at?  The Pacman info screen says that it should run at "288x224 60.606060 Hz".

If I manually specify the resolution on the command line to be "288x224" Pacman comes up in a different resolution than when Mame auto-picks the resolution.  Betson reports that this manual resolution is running at "37.8 KHz 60Hz".  In this resolution there is very little flicker.  Is Mame auto choosing the wrong resolution?  Is there a way to fix this short of creating a ini file for each game?

Lastly, when Pacman came up in "37.8 KHz 60Hz" mode I had to tweak the pincushion and vertical positioning settings in the Betson's OSD.  When I went back to my Windows desktop (which runs at 800x600) I found that I had changed its settings too.  This is how I found out that "37.8 KHz 60Hz" is used by both 288x224 and 800x600.  Do I have any other options other than either living with one of the resolutions being messed up, or manually changing the OSD settings each time I switch between these resolutions?  I assume that the Betson saves its customized settings per frequency (for example "37.8 KHz 60Hz" and  "15.9KHz 51Hz") instead of resolution (288x224, 800x600, etc.).

Thanks for all of your help,
Jim

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2004, 03:44:22 pm »
Jim:

1. By "fine-tune" I mean you can get better results if you watch the onscreen image while you manually degauss, and stop when it looks "right". It's as much a dark art as a science, but I did get better at manually degaussing each time I tried.

Location matters as well - my Betson has a faded red area when the cab is pointing in one direction that it does not have when turned 90 degrees. You've got to remember that all of this degaussing is working with/against the Earth's magnetic field. That's something pretty big to fight against...

2. I'm not sure what video card you're using, but if it's the ArcadeVGA card, run, don't walk, and get the AVGA MAME Resolution Tool:

http://mamewah.mameworld.net/downloads.html

It makes finding out what resolution each game is running on a cinch, as well as adjusting and testing each game's settings. Once you've fine-tuned one game, you can make the video settings of all other games that share that resolution match. Heck, it even has an "auto-optimize" feature that sets all games to their best resolution (and it works fairly well, except for some vertical games).

It almost makes the whole procedure painless...almost.

Kevin

The Spade

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
In other words...
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2004, 07:01:34 pm »
So from what I've read here, my problem (MAYBE) can be solved by manually fixing the rotation by adjusting the hex slugs in the yolk coil, which I don't know if I would need insulated gloves or not (do tell and this area I'm an admitted newb) and we're just sitting here waiting for Betson's response to this?

I do understand, from reading many, many posts on building arcade machines, that the monitors are the biggest pain-in-the-!@# part of building.

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2004, 08:57:10 pm »
Spade, so is your rotation problem limited to the 15khz mode only?  Have you tried using the parallogram adjustment to right it?

My problem was mostly in the lower left corner drooping down quite a bit.  Using the Trapazoid and edge adjustments I was able to even out the drooping so the bottom left and top right were off evenly, and then used the parallogram adjustment to right it perfectly.  The only problem for me was some shearing at the top of the image, which I was able to limit somewhat using the other adjustments.  Start out at zoom=0, do your adjustments, then start zooming in, and keep adjusting. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 09:05:22 pm by Dave_K. »

The Spade

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2004, 05:41:49 pm »
Again, the tilt again is obvious in the lower right and it inclines from left to right about 5 degrees and have tested it in 640x480 and 800x600.  Shrinking the display you see the whole image is tilted.  Again, the missing rotate 'chip' (or whatever) would fix this but we know why that cannot happen.  :P

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2004, 06:15:52 pm »
Are you saying the parallorgram adjustment did absolutely nothing?  Are the top and bottom edges tilted across the same degree?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 06:18:42 pm by Dave_K. »

The Spade

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2004, 11:10:13 pm »
Yep, that's what I'm saying.

jimj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2004, 11:25:37 pm »
I've actually found one
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 12:32:02 am by jimj »

The Spade

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
Message from Kortek!
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2004, 07:12:36 pm »
OK here we go with their official response:

Dear Sir,

I have seen your evaluation report from the web site (**NOTE: here!) and would like to explain you regarding the two results.

1. The rotate function that is part of the on-screen menu does not work at all, Also, the monitor is titled at a bit under 5 degrees, whcih is definitely noticable.
  >> KT2914 has the rotation function but we did not applied at this time and we can adopt the optional spec per customer requirement, so any customer want to this fuction,then we can add this function right away.

**My response:  "Yes I would like my monitor to work fully.  Hook me up!"

2.The vertical focus knob on the rear of the monitor does not fuction at all. The other two do indeed work.

>> Actually, there are four knob on the FBT, two knob of top side which are the vertical and horizontal adjusting volume (**sorry, VOLUME?!), as you may know, old tube was used both of knob but current tube are using the one knob to adjust the focus, it can be adusted well by one knob variable and it means single focus and we are not using the one of them.  If tube has the dual focus type, we will utilize this knob.

**Response:  "Uh, I thought I counted 3 knobs not 4."

If you have any questions, then please let me know.

Regards,

T. K. PARK
Technical Coordinator
Chief Engineer / Kortek USA
Office  (775) 359 2218
Mobile (775) 843 2084
E-mail : tkpark@kortek.co.kr

**Basically, Betson has handed the ball over to the people who actually made this monitor.  I am a bit surprised they have a US office, so providing adding the rotate chip/feature is simple and they can learn to count properly (or I'm a goof!), this may work out after all, which mean the project's back on and I'm a happy guy.  Will keep posted with updates on this.

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2004, 01:11:32 am »
Interesting, I wonder how they will distribute this rotate update/fix.  I'm sure its more than just a chip upgrade.   Would they send a tech to your location (do they even understand you are a consumer and not a vendor?)

Also, the V.Focus problem was with the on-screen hidden menu option.  I never tried adjusting the knob on the back of the flyback transformer (and assume that works fine).

wpcmame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2024, 01:27:00 pm
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2004, 02:03:27 pm »
As far as seeing what resolution the monitor is running at, I was referring to how computer monitors will display something like

The Spade

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
Kortek Response #2
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2004, 07:00:38 pm »
This isn't good news:

To add the rotate function, we have to change the MCU , chip set and add rotation cable but usually rotation cable of 27" CRT tube is not availble in the market with proper coil and cable, so we can not make and accomodate at this units now and unavailble.

Then, you'd better forget this function at 27V monitor.
Regarding the 4th knob, its correct knob q'ty is 3, not 4.

Sorry for inconveniece.

Thanks,
TK

**From what I'm reading here, I am getting the "we're screwed" message on the rotate feature.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 08:10:02 pm by The Spade »

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2004, 09:27:13 pm »
Spade,

Thanks so much for keeping on Betson (and by extension Kortek) about this - at least the mystery is solved, even if the answer's not a good one.

I've updated my review to reflect these new findings, and have removed my "RetroBlast Recommended" award.

I'm still very happy with my Betson, but it looks like (once again) getting a good arcade monitor is as much a matter of chance as it is of buying a good design.

Sigh...

Kevin

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2004, 10:54:58 pm »
So I'm still missing something here.  I had the exact same problem, but was able to rectify without the use of the rotation control.  Spade, when you use the paralellogram function, you are saying absolutely nothing happens?  If this is true, then your particular monitor has more problems than everyone elses'.  That alone is reason to exchange or return.

The Spade

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
Betson Return Response
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2004, 02:54:41 pm »
This is the reply I received from Bob Lapinski, who I state is one of the best salespersons I've ever dealt with and gives Betson kudos for great staff, sent to me about returning the monitor and getting a refund:

Hi
I really sorry about the monitor .I e-mailed my boss who is in Chicago for a few days.I need to hear from him first.I stopped the small credit we will do a complete credit I just don't know how we will handle the return.Again I'm sorry for all the trouble you and I put some time into this order.If my boss doesn't contact me by tomorrow I will call his cell.Have a good day
Bob

**To sum it up, Betson's living up to its name in terms of service.  Again, I do feel bad about Bob and all the work and effort he went into this with me.  I'll keep all of you posted on the return procedure.

Pac Threat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2005, 04:38:56 pm
  • MAME made me do it.
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2004, 09:40:33 am »
Spade,

Seems like we are at the same crossroads in our cabs and we live in the same area.  I'm trying to make a monitor decision as well.  Thanks for this post, and if you can post it or contact me with any decision you make, I'm greatly interested in what way you go.

Nutshell:
*Well Garner D9200 - quality/reliability questionable
*Betson KT2914 - likely manufacturing problem, no correction available
*Sharpimage SI-227SVGA - ?
*Neotec - not at least 800x600
*Hantarex Polo SVGA - ?

Still researching...  I want a SVGA arcade monitor that will just plug right into my XP box.

My 4p cab is also on hold.  gl

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2004, 09:51:14 am »
Pac Threat,

The Hantarex Polo has been discontinued. If you find one, it'll do what you want (I've gotten feedback from someone who just found one), problem is it was never sold in the US, just Europe.

I'm pretty sure the NeoTec can do 800x600, but I'll have to go check the specs again.

I hadn't heard of the Sharpimage, but looking at the specs:

http://www.sharpimage.net/si227svga.html#spec

it looks like it won't do 15Khz or 25Khz which is critical for MAME games. It'll do 800x600 easily, however.

Kevin

vincemash

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2009, 12:24:24 pm
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2004, 10:40:35 am »
man...after reading this thread I guess I am lucky that the betson I picked up (at Betson's Carteret, NJ location) in October did not need to be rotated.

I have nothing but good things to say about it after 2 months...all the games look great (using the res. tool) and Arcade VGA

PC games look great too at 800x600.....my son plays Age of Mythology and the graphics are spectacular

Vince

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2004, 10:44:37 am »
Yeah, if your Betson is okay out of the box, it's definitely the best arcade monitor I've used.

Unfortunately, that lack of rotation means you're in a world of trouble if it does need to be rotated.

My D9200, for all it's failures and faults, at least had a working rotate and focus adjustment (and I needed to use both of them!)

Kevin

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2004, 11:54:42 pm »
Someone should write up a description for the "perfect" arcade monitor that lists detailed specs and required features and send it to all the arcade monitor makers.  We could even make it like a petition and get everyone here to put their name and a piece of contact info like a phone number or email to show them that we're serious.

I'm not sure that we are a large enough group to have a monitor made just for us but maybe we can influence the design of future monitors.

Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

The Spade

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
Clarification/Betson Update
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2004, 07:44:01 pm »
In case anyone has misunderstood me, I am not bashing Betson at all, but I think I've made my personal feelings about the monitor clear.

desmatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2006, 02:25:53 pm
    • Easy MameCab
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2004, 04:31:51 pm »
Spade,

Seems like we are at the same crossroads in our cabs and we live in the same area.  I'm trying to make a monitor decision as well.  Thanks for this post, and if you can post it or contact me with any decision you make, I'm greatly interested in what way you go.

Nutshell:
*Well Garner D9200 - quality/reliability questionable

Funny, but it contradicts what most monitor distributors have to say about wellsgardners monitors.  I've spoken with several large distributors and wellsgardners monitors are always highly regarded, particularly for reliability and service.  A couple weren't familiar with kortek, but the few that were said they made affordable/inexpensive monitors, with no comments either good or bad, as to their service or quality.

I tried with much effort to secure a 19" kortek monitor, however, no one from the company outside of america even replied to my inquiries.  I tried both the german and korean distribution centers but to no avail.  I did eventually get a hold of an american rep who pointed me to a modest operation on the west coast that wasn't of much use in the end.  They didn't ship international, didn't know anyone who did, and didn't even cary the multisync line, much less the 19" version.

I'm somewhat sceptical of what the kortek multisync can do as well.  No one's posted any specs on what frequencies these monitors actually support, or whether they have digital control like the d9200 (stores multiple cetering modes).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 05:07:09 pm by desmatic »

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2004, 05:36:08 pm »
I'm somewhat sceptical of what the kortek multisync can do as well.

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2004, 09:48:52 pm »
Kevin, where is the rotation adjustment on the D9200?  Is it in the onscreen menu?  Is this a normal adjustment on all monitors?  I'm wondering as I can't seem to find one on my original 29" or hanatrex Polo 25".  Is this something only digitial monitors support (besides the Betson of course)?

desmatic

• Offline Offline
    • Easy MameCab
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2004, 06:39:55 am »
I'm somewhat sceptical of what the kortek multisync can do as well.  No one's posted any specs on what frequencies these monitors actually support, or whether they have digital control like the d9200 (stores multiple cetering modes).

The Kortek supports 15Khz up to about 38Khz, and has digital controls/memory settings just like the D9200 (actually, it has more adjustment options than the D9200, with one glaring exception: rotation).

Read through the forums here for more information about the WG-D9200's woes...

Kevin

It actually supports the whole listed range, even goofy frequencies like 17kHz to 22kHz?  How many centering modes does it store and at what frequencies?  This is what i've been dying to find out, but no one seems to know.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 06:42:44 am by desmatic »

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2004, 08:42:12 am »
I believe it does the whole range - I ran a test floppy (do a search on the boards here, can't remember off hand who set it up for me to test) and it handled nearly everything thrown at it.

According to the specs on the Kortek site, I recall it has a digital memory for up to six non-standard resolution settings. I'm assuming that means that the officially supported resolutions (640x480, etc.) also have their own memory settings.

I can tell you this - I've yet to have any resolution "forget" its centering/resize adjustments.

Kevin

wpcmame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2024, 01:27:00 pm
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2004, 09:28:47 am »
I believe it does the whole range - I ran a test floppy (do a search on the boards here, can't remember off hand who set it up for me to test) and it handled nearly everything thrown at it.
You mean that it can do 18KHz. That is really interesting since it means that you can run vertical games without stretch on a horizontal monitor at the correct refreshrate. Powerstrip or advmame should be able to create such a mode.
According to the specs on the Kortek site, I recall it has a digital memory for up to six non-standard resolution settings.
The problem with such a statement is that is says nothing. The monitor can't store settings based on resolution since it doesn't know how many pixels the picture is built up from. It only got the sync pulses to work from so it must use some kind of interval on these frequencies to determine which setting to use.

In another thread someone tested all modes on the AVGA card and found out that the monitor got at least separate setting for 15.7KHz, 31KHz and 38KHz. It also seemd like it stored different settings for <55, 55-58, >58 Hz refreshrates in the 15.7KHz group. Question is still how wide the ranges are. Will 18KHz be covered by the same settings as 15.7Khz or
are there special 18KHz settings as well.

desmatic

• Offline Offline
    • Easy MameCab
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2004, 06:59:16 pm »
You mean that it can do 18KHz. That is really interesting since it means that you can run vertical games without stretch on a horizontal monitor at the correct refreshrate. Powerstrip or advmame should be able to create such a mode.

My thoughts exactly, which is why I'm really dying to know for sure.  If the kortek actually handles 17-22 kHz then it can perfectly emulate every game, including vertical games run horizontally, which is a big deal for advancemamers.

According to the specs on the Kortek site, I recall it has a digital memory for up to six non-standard resolution settings.

The problem with such a statement is that is says nothing. The monitor can't store settings based on resolution since it doesn't know how many pixels the picture is built up from. It only got the sync pulses to work from so it must use some kind of interval on these frequencies to determine which setting to use.

In another thread someone tested all modes on the AVGA card and found out that the monitor got at least separate setting for 15.7KHz, 31KHz and 38KHz. It also seemd like it stored different settings for <55, 55-58, >58 Hz refreshrates in the 15.7KHz group. Question is still how wide the ranges are. Will 18KHz be covered by the same settings as 15.7Khz or
are there special 18KHz settings as well.

From my experience it's almost always determined by the horizontal clock, though on some like my pc monitor, vclocks can also make a difference.  Usually it has to do with a certain horizontal range though.  My older pc monitor used to save settings between 4kHz or there abouts.  The ADI one i'm on now, seems to handle 1kHz, which is pretty incredible.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 07:04:16 pm by desmatic »

desmatic

• Offline Offline
    • Easy MameCab
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2004, 07:09:52 pm »

It was me.  It's still available at

www.msu.edu/user/jonesdes/files/advvboot.zip

Do you know if the kortek can handle hclocks between 17kHz - 22kHz.  These are the really important ones, the ones that the D9200 doesn't support.

jimj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2004, 07:18:47 pm »
In another thread someone tested all modes on the AVGA card...
In case anyone's interested that thread is here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,28954.msg242630.html#msg242630

I added the OSD display ranges to ArcadeVGA.txt so that you can easily see what other resolutions you'll affect when you change the OSD settings.  Unfortunately I'm away from my Mame cabinet for the holidays, so I still don't know if I can get my AVGA and Betson working correctly.

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2004, 07:39:45 pm »

It was me.

desmatic

• Offline Offline
    • Easy MameCab
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2004, 04:06:02 am »
In another thread someone tested all modes on the AVGA card...
In case anyone's interested that thread is here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,28954.msg242630.html#msg242630

I added the OSD display ranges to ArcadeVGA.txt so that you can easily see what other resolutions you'll affect when you change the OSD settings.  Unfortunately I'm away from my Mame cabinet for the holidays, so I still don't know if I can get my AVGA and Betson working correctly.

That's a pretty interesting post.  There is, of course, a solution for your centering woes, but you'd need to use advancemame for it to work.

desmatic

• Offline Offline
    • Easy MameCab
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2004, 04:12:30 am »

It was me.  It's still available at

www.msu.edu/user/jonesdes/files/advvboot.zip

Do you know if the kortek can handle hclocks between 17kHz - 22kHz.  These are the really important ones, the ones that the D9200 doesn't support.

I have to admit, my memory's a bit fuzzy, but I recall the Kortek handled pratically everything you set up on the boot disk (I think there was one mode that it didn't like, but that was about it.)

Sorry for not taking better notes! (That was when I messed up my AVGA card).

Kevin

thanks kev.  You might want to add that to your kortek review, as its really important info to advancemamers, so is jimj's findings about the centering modes, particularly the part about where they're at and how many there are.

GMZombie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2022, 10:11:23 am
  • I am a living Legend who fixes stuff... mostly
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2005, 08:48:41 pm »
wait a second...i ran all of my vertical games horizontally without any problem and to what the resolution should be with a d9200....i must be one of the lucky ones who had gotten a d9200 shipped to my home none less without having any problems?? Anyways i just thought id voice my opinion of the d9200 and i was actually thinking about getting a betson until seeing this post....unless anyone has some good reviews of it?>?

hiperco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2014, 08:15:13 pm
  • Mame is Cool
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2005, 08:55:49 pm »
By any chance could someone post pictures of one with a rotation problem?  I'd like to understand how bad it looks.  Thanks!

Callindril

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2005, 09:38:00 pm
  • What?? Me play with power tools??
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2005, 08:49:56 am »
Anyone have the actual deminsions of this beast?  Im wondering if I can get it to shoehorn into an old Double Dragon cab that has a 19" in now thats on the fritz..

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2005, 09:00:01 am »
Anyone have the actual deminsions of this beast?

Callindril

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2005, 09:38:00 pm
  • What?? Me play with power tools??
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2005, 11:30:04 am »
Thanks for the info..

Well, seems that neither monitor will fit in the Double Dragon cab...

The monitor area in the cab is 23 x 23, and these moitors appear to be 22x24.5

So close...and yet so far....