Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pinball Restoration (1976 Bally Freedom)  (Read 10628 times)

JoyMonkey

• Voodoo Wiki Master . . .
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2023, 09:38:52 am
  • Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker
    • JoyMonkey.com
Pinball Restoration (1976 Bally Freedom)
« on: November 28, 2004, 07:56:06 pm »
I was in my cousins basement today and found a 1976 Bally Freedom pinball machine. She'd like to get rid of it, or have it restored. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, I know nothing about pinball machines. It's in two pieces, looks pretty dirty, but she says all it's missing is its legs. She talked to someone a couple of years ago that said it could be restored for $100. Are pinball machines all that complicated (I would think so)?
Is this something I could do myself with a couple of spare days? Or is there a reputable restoration person in the Boston area that I could recommend to her?

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
Re: Pinball Restoration (1976 Bally Freedom)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 08:46:09 pm »
without having even seen it, i would imagine it would take more than a couple of days. but that shouldn't be a reason not to do it. i'd start by looking for those legs. go for it!  :D

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

D_Zoot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2010, 03:59:37 pm
  • Sorry if I get any spit on you...
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 09:42:26 pm »
That's something that would get you hooked.  Pinball can be such a fun hobby, once you do that one you'll probably feel like trying to find another one!

Anyway,  the first thing you should do is try to find out exactly which version of Freedom you have.  Bally made two different ones, an electromechanical and a solid state.

You can tell by looking at the score displays,  electromechanical will have score reels and a solid state will have digital displays.

If it's an EM and if it's been sitting for a long time, chances are it doesn't work.  Fixing EM's can be a frustrating experience. They appear so simple, yet one poor set of contacts can bring the whole machine down.  EM's can be fussy and without a sound knowledge of how they work, proper contact adjustments and setup it's easy to create more problems with the game when trying to fix it. 

If it's a Solid State game you are in luck.  Fewer of those were made, making them harder to come by and slightly more valuable. In addition, they generally are more reliable.  If there are any major problems with it, the circuit boards can be sent out for repair to any number of shops at a reasonable cost.

Have a very close look at it to determine if it's worth restoring:

-What kind of shape is the cabinet in?  Any water damage?

-How does the playfield look?  Lifting, cracked or worn off paint is very hard or impossible to repair.  How about the plastics? Broken or missing plastics on a game of that vintage can be very hard to replace.

-Look at the backside of the backglass, is it flaking or peeling anywhere?  Minor flaking can be stopped and won't detract much from the enjoyment of the game (but does affect it's value).  Major flaking is more serious problem and very very difficult (if not impossible in some cases) to repair.

-If it's a solid state, inspect the CPU board for acid/battery damage.  If there is any corrosion, you'll need board repair for sure.

The cost and time frame involved will all depend on what you find when you inspect it.  If it's clean and dry, with a good playfield and backglass you'll likely only have some tinkering to do plus replacing rubbers and lamps.  That's not too time consuming or expensive.  playfield rubbers can be bought in kits and contain everything you would need to re-rubber the game. 

If it's got cab, backglass or playfield damage, you'll have to put some serious thought into it. That can get expensive and time consuming quickly and may possibly cost you more than the game is worth. 

How about some pics ??

Regards,
D

JoyMonkey

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • JoyMonkey.com
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 10:05:54 pm »
Sounds like a challenge  ;D

I'll take another look at it next weekend (probably take some pics too). I'm pretty sure it's electromechanical. I only looked at it for a minute, but it seemed to be in good condition, just a little dirty. I don't really have space at my place to work on it (another excuse to finish the two cocktail cabinets in my second bedroom  :D).

Thanks for the info!

D_Zoot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 10:34:20 pm »
I forgot to mention,

If you do tackle it,  you can get replacement legs from many places.  A quick google should net you several mail-order pinball part places.

I use these guys for some stuff:  http://www.marcospec.com

They also carry rubber kits, lamps, coils ,replacement pinballs and many other common parts.

If you get into looking for game-specific stuff, post back up with what you are looking for, or better yet, check out the newsgroup rec.games.pinball   

Good luck!
D

JoyMonkey

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • JoyMonkey.com
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 10:39:48 pm »
Wow! I'd be looking at $83 just for the legs.  If that's all I need I'd be very lucky.

D_Zoot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 12:15:50 am »
http://www.centsibleamusements.com has the legs for somewhere around $50 set.

I've never ordered from them, so I can't personally vouch, but I have heard good things about them.

Google around once you have an idea of all the parts you might need.  There are other places that sell this stuff too and if you don't mind spreading your parts orders around with different companies, you can probably save a few bucks on most everything.

Regards,
D

dfensch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2008, 10:44:02 am
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 12:25:57 am »
I have a full set of legs i would be willing to sell if you need them.
I bought a pair of williams jubilee em machines a while back and I am working on making one working out of two non working.  I have already resored a segasa super straight machine that I paid $125 for and it is fun to play.  EM machines can be time consuming to fix but there is a ton of links on the web that will help you!

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 01:42:50 am »
Can you post a picture of your pinball?

JoyMonkey

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • JoyMonkey.com
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 12:08:36 pm »
I'll try and get some photo's next weekend.

I've been looking into the restoration process and I think I'm going to give it a go.  I'll start by buying this pinball maintenance book and the EM Freedom manual & schematics.  Looks like Centsible Amusements have everything else I'd need (rubber set, polishing set, wax, bulbs, balls, legs, levellers), so long as there's nothing major wrong with the machine.

I promised my wife that I'd get my current arcade projects out of the way before staring this, so it'll be a few more weeks before I get into it. Looking forward to it though!  :D

fredster

• Grand Prophet of Arcadeology
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2019, 04:28:53 pm
  • It's all good!
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 05:09:25 pm »
If you want to find out about the pinball machine, try this link:
http://www.ipdb.org/

There are manuals online.  You can download them like you can on video games.  There are lots of places to get parts.

They are tricky. I have one and I have gotten it to run and it takes a while, some of the powersupplies have all kinds of parts.

LOTS and LOTS of parts man.

They are pretty cheap. You can get parts everywhere for the insides, but the playerfield stuff is pricey.  There are lots of sites on how to restore them.  Try Mr.Pinball for tips too.

King of the Flying Monkeys from the Dark Side