Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Warblade: awesome Galaga lookalike for the PC  (Read 5393 times)

papaschtroumpf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2013, 11:41:10 pm
  • Have a Cow!
Warblade: awesome Galaga lookalike for the PC
« on: November 28, 2004, 01:25:23 pm »
One of my favorite PC games on my cab is "Warblade". It's Galag with a twist:

As you shoot things some "power ups" drop from some of the ships you destroy. Power ups include (but not limited to) money, double shott, triple shot, speed, bombs (destroys everything left on the screen), 2x and 5x point multipliers... etc...
There are really lots of variations for example of of the bomb is the "gem bomb" which turns every reamining enemy on your screen into a small gem that starts falling off the screen and that you can collectr for more money.
in between stages you can enter the store and buy additional power ups with the miney you collected.
Some power ups also start "mini games" like the Meteor Shower where you try and navigate a meteor field for as long as you can to gain bonus points.

The levels and enemies are varied , the music is quite good (you can download the MP3s on the site)

Maybe some Galaga "purists" will be horrified at having it "evolved" that way but I love it, it still has the same feel as the original, jsut better IMHO.

You can download a free demo or get the full game for $15, including free upgrades (the game is till in active development).

The music is pretty good too (you can download it from their site as mp3s)

As far as controls go, the regular MAME controls will work, however you may need a mouse/trackball to navigate the menus (unfortunately my cab is down for maintenance atm so I can't check).

Check is out here: http://www.warblade.as/

I belive you can even create your own levels but I have never played with that.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 01:29:38 pm by papaschtroumpf »

Trenchbroom

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 21, 2020, 09:25:43 pm
  • Wampus? Get over here!
Re: Warblade: awesome Galaga lookalike for the PC
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 04:17:52 pm »
Was gonna be my next review.  Great game!

Nocturnaloner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 05, 2016, 12:39:53 pm
  • AARRRRcade!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 07:41:52 am »
Seriously, you have no idea how fun this game is until you check it out.  You may be looking at those screenshots going 'ho hum, another shooter', but all the pieces are in place on this one, sound, design, and graphic effects are very skillfully combined.  Just a great game.  Thanks for pointing it out!

Katana Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2022, 04:41:14 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 04:08:39 pm »
Here's my summary review of this game:

Warblade is very well done.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 04:15:04 pm by Katana Man »

papaschtroumpf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2013, 11:41:10 pm
  • Have a Cow!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 09:02:16 pm »
some of those things you point out (such as loosing the scoop ships) is by design. In fact you can earn or buy a power up that will let then stick.
As far as picking up a "power up" thatgets you to loose your weapon, well, that's part of the game. Be careful about what you pick up.
You may not agree with it, but it's aprt of what gives this game replay value.

dabone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2023, 12:03:37 pm
  • Time to work...
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 09:20:21 pm »
I used to play the original ( DeluxeGalaga ) on my amiga ALOT.

(Passed alot of boring days at the office like that... Yes I had a 4000 at my office :) )

Later,
dabone

dax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2006, 02:13:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 10:31:26 pm »
On the recommendations here I downloaded the game and was incredibly impressed.  I got a PSP and Galaga Rearranged got me thinking about what the next-gen type shooter of this nature could look like and Warblade is very close to that.. the explosions are pretty amazing.  I just bought the full version and am hoping it will pay well on my cab.  Thanks for the recommendation!