Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My UA II Kit (Review)  (Read 3498 times)

picasso

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2014, 12:54:32 am
My UA II Kit (Review)
« on: July 20, 2005, 01:02:59 am »
I just finished my Ultimate Arcade II kit and I am very happy w/it.  It looks awesome and its a really good size.  The kit comes in precut black melamine.  It took myself and a friend about 3 hours to put it together.   The thing that took the longest was putting the T-Molding around the edges of the cabinet.  I can not say enough good things about it.   Scott over at mameroom.com was always quick to answer my questions.  I was provided a tracking # once the item shipped.  They were packaged very nicely.  I am now just waiting on my Slickstik CO2!

There are only a few negative things I can say and given what the finished product looks like after you are done they are trivial but I will list them for others.

1.  The cam bolts were very hard to put on.  The tolerances were to tight and I ended up not just tapping them in but pounding them in w/a rubber hammer.

2.  The cabinet is easy to chip if you are not careful.  Especially if you are pounding the cams in   ;D

3.  I wish there were a few more extra's in the bag in case you lost something etc...

On a side note if they were to do some type or formica or laminate on the outside I think that would help the chipping an d I would pay $100 to $150 more for it.   

Overall I think a very good deal for under $500.     If I were to have paid just a little more and wanted to build it myself I could have gotten a pre-cut control panel blank as well.  Not to shabby!

electricd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2011, 03:30:33 pm
  • I'm not a llama!
Re: My UA II Kit (Review)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 10:18:51 am »
You would likely pay more than 100 - 150 more for laminate/formica.   I built a UAII cabinet from the original old plans (the ones that used to be on the site for free!) and then covered it in laminate and spent about $250 for enough to get it covered.  Laminate is VERY expensive and very time consuming to apply.  The melamine is bought the way it is, so it there is no work involved in applying it..they just cut the melamine and drill it.  Thats how you can get the whole thing for under $500 :)

Marky_1979

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2017, 11:07:07 am
    • Personal Webspace
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 10:54:40 am »
you cant get the pre cut kits here in the U.K so iv sent the plans i had done on cad by a good friend over to a firm here to be cut cost me

iwillfearnoevil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2010, 07:08:43 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 12:23:14 pm »
thanks for the review. good luck waiting on the slikstik.