Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: AMD Cooling - Is this fan enough?  (Read 2342 times)

Arcade Guru

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2002, 12:00:52 pm
  • ahh ha!
    • New Jersey's Arcade Guru
AMD Cooling - Is this fan enough?
« on: September 25, 2002, 04:02:31 am »
Hi All,

I'm planning on buying one of these Shuttle SS40G's, it's has this really funky cooling system in it already, with copper pipes, check it out at the link below:

http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/Shuttle/SS40G/page4.htm

The question is, do you guys think this is enough cooling for a xp2000 chip?, or how could improve the cooling, there's so many fans out there, it's really confusing.

Thanks in Advance,

Lasareath

P.S.
the site is really slow

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Re:AMD Cooling - Is this fan enough?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2002, 08:44:39 am »
That site is really slow.  But looking at the review I noted that the reviewer improved the cooling on the 1800 processor with a more efficient heatsink fan combination.  It could be a really tight fit to get a good CPU heatsink and fan into that case.  Your best bet is to use the most efficient cooler on the CPU that will fit since you are increasing the speed of the cpu in your setup.  A good copper sink and proper use of thermal compound on the CPU is critical.  BE SURE IT FITS.  

The reviewer noted that the PSU got hot maybe due to a quiet fan.  The shuttle cases are not designed for screaming CPUs so if you can stand the noise increase the cfm of the fan and you will get more noise but you will get more cooling.

Another area to look at for better cooling is to replace the flat ribbon cables with rounded cables to reduce the blockages inside the case.

BobA

Arcade Guru

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2002, 12:00:52 pm
  • ahh ha!
    • New Jersey's Arcade Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2002, 10:02:17 am »
Noise is really not a problem, the computer is gonna be in my mame cabinet, which is open in the front and the back, I was thinking of drilling a hold in the side and adding another fan or two, this should help the circulation?

as per the copper heat sink, I don't think I could esily change that heat sink fan combination that's in the machine now, it seems to be welded together as one piece. the author of the review did add a fan to the top of the fin on the cpu, I guess I will do that, I', going to a computer show this weekend I guess I'll buy a bunch of fans

Is there any kind of software out there that will monitor the inside temperture of my computer?

Thanks again,

Lasareath

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2002, 11:05:13 am »
An additional fan on the heat sink is a good idea. If you can cut a hole in the case an additional fan would assist air flow as well.  Make sure your cabinet has good heat venting as well so that the Shuttle does not sit in hot air.

Regarding temperature sensing.  Try MBM5 at the following site.  It is probably the most used program.

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

Good Luck
BobA