Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question: Best Monitor Suggestion 25" - 30+  (Read 1534 times)

yourfatmama

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2012, 03:46:03 pm
  • MAME n00b
Question: Best Monitor Suggestion 25" - 30+
« on: November 11, 2004, 10:34:27 am »
Forgive the n00bs and if this thread is a repeat, but i didnt see it- skip to the bottom for the "point"
I'm obsessed. I wish to build a MAME retrogame cabinet some fine day, but until then I want to do lots of homework (actually half the fun, checking out other peeps projects and figuring out how i'd like to do mine). Thanks guys for the good info posted within these boards! But i'm finding that though some portions of the project is ez for me to decide on (as most people are fairly unanimous on what items are considered "best overall" ) the display choices are eluding me. Realizing that  many options can work, and depending on your goal for purism or cheapness or whatever...ramble ramble.
I want your input/opinion on whats "wowed" you the most in terms of overall compatibility; accuracy for the most games including the oldie verticals; and price although i'd like to hear more about the quality side and worry bout $$ later. >B)    I initially was looking at WG displays, then betsons, and lately i've been hearing stuff bout Kortek displays but info on them have been sparse:

Whats THE best overall 25- 30"+  display that will quite simply KICK BUTT on MAME game and console emulators and even allow for PC games that are good in cabinet fashion (i.e. proper range of res and frequency)???

c'mon people gimme yer input as i'm sure lots of people are asking similar questions (if the size isnt right for some well they can use your input as a starting point and downsize or upsize accordingly same w/ the $$ vs quality which should be a whole other thread.) Wells Gardner? Betson? Kortek? your mom's TV? an old monitor from work (they wont miss it right)?
 :o
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 11:25:25 am by yourfatmama »

yourfatmama

• Offline Offline
  • MAME n00b
Re:Question: Best Monitor Suggestion 25" - 30+
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 11:57:26 pm »

Whats THE best overall 25- 30"+  display that will quite simply KICK BUTT on MAME game and console emulators and even allow for PC games that are good in cabinet fashion (i.e. proper range of res and frequency)???

c'mon people gimme yer input
I see many Views, yet no actual "views" i.e. opinions or input on the best display out there for the wannabe mamer.
is the Kortek monitors better than WG; is there anything that can play the games at their native resolutions other than the original monitors? i've seen the oscarcontrol comparison... but that doesnt represent everything, what can you share in your experience??? thx!

yourfatmama

• Offline Offline
  • MAME n00b
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 12:02:58 am »
Kevin Steele at Retroblast had this comment to say as he responded to an inquiry in this post so i saw fit to include the comment in this thread as well.
2. I have had no problems with the Betson - it's definitely been a "plug and
forget" part of the arcade machine the last few months. Now that I have the
new version of the ArcadeVGA card (based on the ATI 9200), it's even better:
sharper picture and good 3D accelleration for games such as Mutant Storm.
(I'm planning on updating my ArcadeVGA review shortly to reflect the changes
in the new version of the card).

As far as any other suggestions: just one - be sure and download
"RefreshForce" and use it to remove the 1024x768 resolution (and higher)
from Windows, as well as force all video modes to a 60Hz refresh rate.

http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/

yourfatmama

• Offline Offline
  • MAME n00b
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 05:01:59 pm »
I've seen the EYGO 20"+ monitors used in some projects... any word on these? how do they compare to the WG or Betson's displays?

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 09:11:49 pm »

Basically there is no absolute answer - there are considerations of cost and sacrifices. If you are passionate about perfect arcade images, then you will need some form of arcade monitor - most of these can't do windows/pc games though.

If we forget about money, and you require 'best possible ever' arcade games, and consoles, and Pc and you want +25" then you are looking at a mulitisync monitor cable of 15Khz, 25Khz, 31-40+Khz. You may have to be creative on how you hook up your console.

The only 2 I know of are the WG D9200 (27" and 33") and the  Betson Imperial / Kortek KT-2914  (27") . Check reviews here:

http://www.retroblast.com/reviews/betson.html

There are loads of other options based on price etc..etc.. Almost every possible aspect has been discussed before - so I really recommend you read the forums. All the information above is taken from these forums.

yourfatmama

• Offline Offline
  • MAME n00b
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 08:48:28 am »
Thanks Silver, someone finally gave their input. I'll do a search for "Monitors" in the forums. I wanted to hear from people who had used these monitors and other ones perhaps not mentioned, such as EYGO. I'd like to hear any pros and cons that people have found ("this game didnt display properly on this monitor", or this monitor "has yet to fail me").

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 07:22:05 pm »
No problem.

Another consideration is to use a "presentation monitor" - these are basically giant pc monitors that also take a tv input. NEC make some, as do Hantarex and Mitsubihi. I've seen some Gateway destination monitors too...

These tend to be v big and heavy - designed for use in presentations - a dying breed now due to projectors/LCD displays, but ebay sometimes throws up a bargin. These can be handy as you can plug in a console/dvd player to the video input and your pc to the vga.

yourfatmama

• Offline Offline
  • MAME n00b
Re: Question: Best Monitor Suggestion 25" - 30+
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 03:15:25 pm »
*bump*
Anyone get a big Neotec for Christmas? do show and tell!