Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New project kicked off!  (Read 4396 times)

cdbrown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
New project kicked off!
« on: September 19, 2002, 04:31:31 am »
Well after much reading of the board and examples and posting many questions and then reading the responses, I have finally put my hand in my pocket and started to purchase some equipment for my cab (yet to be named).

The cab will be new build based loosely around an NBA Jam cab.  Will have 3 swappable control panels.
1. big 4 player panel with 1P and 2P having rotary optical
2. 2 player panel with 2 spinners (Model 2) and 2 t-stiks
3. 2 player panel with 2 trackballs (well actually kidsballs)
All interfaced using cable connectors then into the I-Pac4 and Optipac.

This should be able to cover the majority of games for the time being, well most of the games I play the most.

Will be using TV with s-video which I haven't looked for yet which will probably be 60-68cm.  Also haven't started looking at the pc side either.

Just have to wait for the various parts to make their way to Australia and then testing can commence for panel layouts.  

I really wish the exchange rate was better as it's nearly US$1=AUS$2 :-[ which makes it hard but oh well I've paid the money so bad luck.

Want to thank everyone for their help and future help.  Will have to get a website up and running to show progress once I get stuff happening.

Cheers
-cdbrown

PS: looking forward to some big NBA sessions.

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Bowowow
Re:New project kicked off!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2002, 09:12:23 pm »
Well I've got a website up and running (although it's not very good).  It is only the start and needs a lot of work.  Has some pics of all the parts I've got, a parts list and not much else.  Hopefully will be updates regularly (if I get to work on the cab regularly.

Check it out http://home.iprimus.com.au/craigrb/.  Any comments welcome.

Cheers
-cdbrown

Dink

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 02:09:49 pm »
Looks like a great start, can't wait to see pics of the cabinet and control panels.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2002, 07:00:30 pm »
well...the site looks cool and clean.
But you sure you can make 3 panels..trust me..once you have anything thats playable then you will be all lazy and play in that unfinished cabinet(happend to me).

Take my advice and finish up the cabinet before you even think about makin the panels.that way..you can actually finish building the cab.

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Bowowow
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2002, 08:04:03 pm »
Thanks for that Dink and Snaaake.

I am a bit concerned about the problem of playing before finishing.  Good thing is I haven't go the pc to go in the cab yet, will be borrowing my brothers PC for trying out the different layouts of the 3 panels.  Also I recently purchased the tv which quickly went on the stand and hooked up to the vcr and dvd so I think there will be a lot of explaining and pleading if I want to have the tv before the cabs done.  I will also be building most of it at someone elses house that doesn't have a pc so that's something in my favour.

Thanks again.

Cheers
-cdbrown

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Bowowow
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2002, 08:13:37 pm »
The website is being updated regularly with bits a pieces.  Have got all the components for the cab to be able to start making prototypes.  Have made the layout for players 1 and 2 in cardboard that will be used in the 4 player panel.  Unfortunately haven't been getting enough spare time to sit down and do something - hopefully that will change slightly over the coming weeks.

Cheers
-cdbrown

electricd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2011, 03:30:33 pm
  • I'm not a llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2002, 04:39:08 pm »
Hey,

Just finished my cab which also has removable panels.  Let me give you some advise, make sure and use Soldered connectors to hook your cables into your CP.  Also, after trying everything else i found that Ribbon cable is the best way to go between your ipac4 and you CP.  The connectors crimp on the end and are permanant.  My panels connect with 3 DB25 cables in order for everything to work.  If I had it to do over, I would have used 80pin SCSI ribbon cable and done the whole thing with 1 cable.  Trust me on this...it will take forever to get the wiring done, but much better to have only 1 cable to disconnect and reconnect than 3.  Plus you only have one connector in your CP to worry about instead of 2 or 3.  The ribbon cable is fairly cheap by the foot.  I did a search on google for "Buy ribbon cable" and was able to find it for $.18 per foot.  Good luck!

ED7

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Bowowow
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2002, 08:29:32 pm »
Hey,

Just finished my cab which also has removable panels.  Let me give you some advise, make sure and use Soldered connectors to hook your cables into your CP.  Also, after trying everything else i found that Ribbon cable is the best way to go between your ipac4 and you CP.  The connectors crimp on the end and are permanant.  My panels connect with 3 DB25 cables in order for everything to work.  If I had it to do over, I would have used 80pin SCSI ribbon cable and done the whole thing with 1 cable.  Trust me on this...it will take forever to get the wiring done, but much better to have only 1 cable to disconnect and reconnect than 3.  Plus you only have one connector in your CP to worry about instead of 2 or 3.  The ribbon cable is fairly cheap by the foot.  I did a search on google for "Buy ribbon cable" and was able to find it for $.18 per foot.  Good luck!

ED7

Any chance of some pics or a website to check out your creation.  We all love looking at pics.  I' not sure what you meant with soldered connectors into the CP is this instead of using the terminal stips or the quick connects?  I have never done any soldering before as well so that's why I went for an easier method (plus I have bought all the parts so no turning back).  But I would still like to see what you have done - you may be able to change my mind on the matter.

Cheers
-cdbrown

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Bowowow
Update
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2002, 03:00:18 am »
Have changed my mind with the button layout and taken the advice I was given very early on but didn't take ;).  Two rows of three with an extra button on the bottom row (neo-geo style).  The original layout was based on eight buttons (2 rows of 4) and layed out with 4 fingers in resting position.  This was uncomfortable and I quickly realized I wasn't going to want to use my little finger to press the buttons.  So I got rid of the right hand two buttons and put a thumb button in.  Now I use the first three fingers and my thumb.  Much more comfortable.

So the big tip here is make things in cardboard first to try it out, then make a few changes to see if it's any better.  I certainly have benefitted by trying another layout.  The site has been updated but no pictures of the new layout.

Cheers
-cdbrown

armad1ll0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2012, 12:24:57 pm
  • The player and the builder!
    • Modeverything
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2002, 05:23:20 am »
I agree on the button layout. We've done a bunch of tests and I actually prefer a hybrid NeoGeo/Capcom button layout where it'll work for both types of games and also work for playstation layouts. Here's some pictures of what I've done. If it's 8 straight, I feel like your hand has to slide over to hit the A button when playing a Neo Geo game. It's why SNK displaced the A button in the first place, that way your hand piviots for the A button, or you use your thumb.

http://www.geocities.com/armad1ll0/systems/Bestoflist.htm