Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Correct cabinet wood? Coin door security?  (Read 4831 times)

blueoakleyz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2004, 09:03:08 pm
  • PS2-Arcade
Correct cabinet wood? Coin door security?
« on: October 30, 2004, 12:58:07 am »
Was the standard 3/4" MDF?

also how were/are coin doors/mechs held in place? You cut a whole in the wood and then how do you stick it there? like so it doesn't fall out or someone can just pull it out

SOAPboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2009, 03:36:12 am
  • ..::GeeK::..
Re:Correct cabinet wood? Coin door security?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 12:59:13 am »
my orig coin door was bolted in..

theres a lip on it with holes, you cut inside that and leave a gap..

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 01:36:43 am »
Modern coin doors are held in from the back by slide over clips.

sac01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2016, 08:15:22 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 12:19:08 pm »
Particle board is what i've seen most of the original cabs were made out of, usually with a mix of plywood for stuff like the back door..

MDF was like unheard of back in the early 80's, It's become popular recently due to home improvement shows like Trading Spaces..lol...it's basically cardboard, while particle board is tiny pieces of wood and sawdust glued together..not to be confused with OSB which is large chips of wood glued together (which would be horrible for a cab).

Partical board holds a screw quite well, but the edges dont usually sand very smooth which is why t-mold is used...mdf gives nice paintable edges but for strength and screw holding it's terrible

Both suck if they get wet...plywood is better for a damp environment.

neuromancer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2006, 04:26:57 pm
  • Can I Play?
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 12:06:07 pm »

Partical board holds a screw quite well, but the edges dont usually sand very smooth which is why t-mold is used...mdf gives nice paintable edges but for strength and screw holding it's terrible

Fine Homebuilding magazine has run a number of tests on MDF over the years. Long sheetrock screws work fairly well in MDF (but need pilot holes).  It is paintable, but the edges will absorb paint, making them swell up, if you're not careful about sealing them first.

If I were going to scratch build a cabinet and wanted it to look arcade authentic, I suppose 3/4" MDF with t-mold. From a durability standpoint, no one is going to be beating on my cabinet. 1/4" MDF (aka hardboard) would work just as well for the majority of the cabinet if the edges were properly reinforced. Think of traditional door construction with a 5/4 frame and 1/4 panels.

I went the easy route and bought a cabinet. It's the traditional 80's 3/4" particle board. It weighs a ton.

Bob

Bob

clanggedin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2012, 11:08:55 pm
  • O'DOYLE RULES!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 01:28:47 pm »
My defender cab was plywood, the data-east cab is particle board. I built mine using 5/8" particle board. If you are going to cover your cab with vinyl like I did then go with particle board, but if you are going to paint it, then use MDF.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 04:00:20 pm »
I'm going to use 3/4" MDO plywood - I have to get it from the local lumber yard though.  Home Depot does not carry it.  This is what cabinetmakers use in most of their projects.  It is medium density overlay - an engineered plywood with a resin treated fiber applied to one or both faces. This gives an extremely smooth finish that is easy to paint. In addition it's rated for exterior use, which means it is safe from the elements, insects, or other outdoor hazards.  It is a bit pricy though ($60 per sheet - both sides covered) but worth it, IMO because it comes in at 1/2 the weight or less of regular MDF...

sac01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2016, 08:15:22 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 07:26:39 pm »
Yeah MDO is great, it's what they use for the signs on the highway also.. it can take a beating, is super smooth, and resist water quite well...

And Norm uses it alot ;D

sac