Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Television for monitor question  (Read 2157 times)

kgriffin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2002, 02:11:24 pm
  • I look nothing like Brad Pitt!
Television for monitor question
« on: September 16, 2002, 11:13:39 am »
It is about time for me to start shopping for a television to use as my monitor. If I leave the television in its case, I can fit a 25" directly in there (tight fit). I think, if I take it out of its case, I can get a 27" to go in. Do you guys suggest leaving the TV in its case or taking it out. I know that exposed capacitors of a television can be deadly. By the way, I have a NEO GEO cabinet that was missing the monitor, so I am not sure the size of the original monitor.

What do you guys suggest?

MameFan

Re:Television for monitor question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2002, 11:30:19 am »
The biggest capacitor in a TV is not one most people think of.... It's the tube itself. It has electrically conductive coating inside AND outside the tube, and the di-electric between them (glass) make the tube a HUGE capactitor and the most deadly.... The only other "painful" (when turned off) capacitor is any big power line filter one (B+) if the set has it... though most new TV's modulate the voltage by increasing the frequency like PC power supplies do, and therefore no longer need big transformers or capacitors to do the work, so they're only deadly when they're on.

The thing about dealing with a 25" or larger TV out of the case is the fact that they are VERY hard to work with in mounting, e.g. take 2 or more people to align, and you need VERY sturdy wood and mounts.   The plastic shell of a TV set not only supports the tube in the 4 corners where it has the mounts welded to the band outside the glass, but ALSO via small plastic ribs under and along side the tube, tranferring the entire weight of the glass across a very large area of plastic and onto its base.

So, if I were to even attempt to mount any tube larger than 20" on wood, I'd use at LEAST 1" thick plywood, plus cut the hole a tad smaller than needed, and then slowly file it larger to ensure the tube can rest on the wood.   Also, I would not provide much of an incline to the tube (don't tilt the top back more than a few degrees) as then you'd be transferring the weight onto the 4 corner tabs only.

For 19" and smaller, 3/4" plywood is acceptable, so long as you have solid edges in the 4 corners with metal reinforcements (e.g. big washers) for the bolts to connect the tabs to the wood.

I'd NEVER consider moving a cabinet, unless *maybe* on rollers, if you have a "raw" mounted 25" or bigger tube in it... Tooooooo easy to have it break from the corner welds and fall and implode..

Thorn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2014, 09:52:09 am
  • Here's Johnny!!!
    • 3-D MAME
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2002, 11:00:23 pm »
When I built me cab I was real shy about taking the TV out of it's case. I guess I just didn't want the hassle of mounting it when all I really need to do is build a shelf. I had to shop around quite a bit to find a 25" S-Vid TV that would fit in the 25" space. Take a look at my web site for more info.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/sugg3d/MAME/Screen.html

I'm building another cab now and I did look at a couple of 27" TV's. The one I saw today was 26.5" wide.

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2002, 11:15:46 pm »
When I built me cab I was real shy about taking the TV out of it's case. I guess I just didn't want the hassle of mounting it when all I really need to do is build a shelf. I had to shop around quite a bit to find a 25" S-Vid TV that would fit in the 25" space. Take a look at my web site for more info.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/sugg3d/MAME/Screen.html

I'm building another cab now and I did look at a couple of 27" TV's. The one I saw today was 26.5" wide.

Simply brilliant!  Nice Job!

-Dave
« Last Edit: September 17, 2002, 11:16:17 pm by Dave_K. »