Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Asteroids Deluxe resurrection  (Read 45989 times)

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Asteroids Deluxe resurrection
« on: October 16, 2004, 10:17:35 am »
I just picked up a really nice Asteroids Deluxe ($75!) but the power supply is dead.  Anyone have one of these around?

« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 12:02:23 pm by ChadTower »

Peter Baluk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2006, 10:36:37 am
  • heavy load! in Brantford ,Ontario
Re:NEEDED: Asteroids power supply
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 12:18:57 pm »
can you send a oicture of the power supply
IF IT HAS ,TIRES

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 02:38:34 pm »
How much troubleshooting did you do before declaring it dead? There isn't much technology to power supplies, especially Atari's. First thing to look up are the fuses. There should be a cardboard cover and underneath that 4 fuses. Check those. There is also another fuse inside a black barrel style fuse holder. Check that (and check to make sure the fuse holder itself isn't broken).

Also, the board should have a white plug with a bunch of "looped" wiring (looks like the wiring doesn't go anywhere but back to the same white plug). If this is missing, it won't work. This wire plug is what configures the power supply for different power inputs (ie: 110volts or 240 volts, etc...)

Lastly, these power supplies have a big blue capacitor on them that by now tends to get wonky. Replacing that might be the solution (Bob Roberts sells them. Calls them "Atari Big Blue").

~Ray B.
NO MORE!!

D_Zoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2010, 03:59:37 pm
  • Sorry if I get any spit on you...
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 08:02:53 pm »
When you say you need a power supply, are you referring to the power brick at the bottom of the cab (metal box with transformer, fuses and a blue cap)  OR are you referring to the A/R board (audio and power supply regulator board) ??

You should be able to  find a brick on Ebay.   A/R boards are usually easily fixable.   If you wanted to ship me your A/R board I can fix it for you.

D

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 09:12:51 pm »
I pick up the cab tomorrow morning, so at this point I am going on the word of the seller.  I will provide more details when I get the cab.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 08:21:10 am »
I have it now... what's the first things I check?  I'm new to the whole electric diagnosis thing...

Witchboard

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2022, 09:09:24 pm
    • Oklahoma Coin-Operated Collectors
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 09:52:44 am »
If you end up needing a power supply, drop a line to Todd at TNT Amusements.  I got my DK power supply from him for about half price for what one was going on eBay for including the shipping.  Here's his website.

DarkKobold

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2013, 11:31:23 pm
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 10:03:54 am »
Ok whoa, slow down Killer. The power supply of an asteroids/deluxe never "dies"

First off, the power supply only consists of 4 main things - The atari "Big blue" cap, the isolation transformer, the bridge rectifier, and the fuses.

You are going to need a multimeter to start fixing. First: Check all fuses on the power supply for connectivity (i.e. 0 ohms)
Second, unplug the main board - check both DC voltage and AC voltage on the 10.3V and 5V sections.
Third, the ISO transformer NEVER dies. don't bother trying to replace the powersupply. I will write more later if you haven't been overwhelmed.
-------------------------------------
My games: Tapper, Asteroids, Cocktail-MAME, Tron, ROTJ, Tempest, Star Wars (not working)
My wants: Warlords Cocktail

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 10:31:17 am »
Ok whoa, slow down Killer. The power supply of an asteroids/deluxe never "dies"

First off, the power supply only consists of 4 main things - The atari "Big blue" cap, the isolation transformer, the bridge rectifier, and the fuses.

You are going to need a multimeter to start fixing. First: Check all fuses on the power supply for connectivity (i.e. 0 ohms)
Second, unplug the main board - check both DC voltage and AC voltage on the 10.3V and 5V sections.
Third, the ISO transformer NEVER dies. don't bother trying to replace the powersupply. I will write more later if you haven't been overwhelmed.

Excellent... I haven't learned to use a multimeter yet.  Now is a good time.  Is there a decent, inexpensive model you can recommend?  I'm going to be making a good amount of use of it as I also have a Tank II I need to resurrect.

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 10:40:31 am »
Chad,
Full instructions on what to check are already posted in this thread. How about re-reading the posts?
NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 10:45:13 am »
Chad,
Full instructions on what to check are already posted in this thread. How about re-reading the posts?

I did.  I know what to check according to the instructions herein.  Alas, being new to this, I'm not sure yet HOW.  That's what I need to figure out.  I located this:

http://store.wholesaler-depot-2.com/602-010.html

And I'm assuming that's a decent price for that based on the person that recommended it.  So my next step is to order that and learn how to use it.

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
Re:Asteroids Deluxe resurrection
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 02:07:50 pm »
Well Chad,

Step one is checking fuses. You do that by looking at them to see if they've burnt up. The metal filament in the glass tube will be broken. If it's not broken, it's still good.

That's step one.

Step two is checking if you even have an Audio Regulator II board in there. It's about 12 inches by 6 inches and seperate from the game's main circuit board.

NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 02:16:01 pm »
Well Chad,

Step one is checking fuses. You do that by looking at them to see if they've burnt up. The metal filament in the glass tube will be broken. If it's not broken, it's still good.

That's step one.

Step two is checking if you even have an Audio Regulator II board in there. It's about 12 inches by 6 inches and seperate from the game's main circuit board.

When I picked the machine up I took a peek at the fuses.  They looked intact based on initial inspection but I didn't really look hard.  I'll review that tonight and check for the ARII board.

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 04:01:06 pm »
The other non-technical things to check for are disconnected or broken wires, rust on the fuse clips, etc. If everything appears to be hooked up correctly, then you'll have to get a multimeter and start measuring power levels...

Oh and I'd highly recommend you go and download the PDF of the manual for that specific game. Atari did a great job of including diagrams and detail parts lists. Should help you get familiarized with what's what.
NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 04:49:13 pm »
Oh and I'd highly recommend you go and download the PDF of the manual for that specific game. Atari did a great job of including diagrams and detail parts lists. Should help you get familiarized with what's what.

Got them at KLOV... I'm going to assume here that the Asteroids manual will be accurate for Asteroids Deluxe, too...

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2004, 08:38:29 pm »
WOO!

I opened it up, taped both cutoff switches closed, and it powered up.  Now I get lit LEDs and 6 tones.  5 high tones and 1 low tone.  

Now to crack the manual and see how to work with that, I assume that's an unhappy 6th ram IC.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:42:50 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2004, 08:22:50 am »
hoolydooly youre a fast learner, chad!!

one tip for checking fuses. dont just look at them. no else mentioned this but the best way to be sure is to check continuity with your new multimeter. sometimes fuse filaments just have a hairline crack and its hard to tell by eye...

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 09:25:59 am »
hoolydooly youre a fast learner, chad!!

one tip for checking fuses. dont just look at them. no else mentioned this but the best way to be sure is to check continuity with your new multimeter. sometimes fuse filaments just have a hairline crack and its hard to tell by eye...

Yeah, I'm not a newbie to electronics, I'm a newbie to electrical wiring.  I don't have the multimeter yet, i'll probably order that on friday when I get paid.

Are there any real consequences to just replacing all of the fuses with new ones?  Those suckers are probably 20 years old.  Besides, I got power to a few places, so I know at least a couple of them are good.  The control panel had power (love those red LEDs) and the main board had power or it wouldn't have tried to boot.  I guess next I can try to toggle the selftest switch and see what happens there.  I don't know if it was set to test or play.

I would have gone a bit further but the Sox game hit the 10th inning and my sobriety level hit past the point of playing with electricity.

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2004, 10:10:28 am »
I'm going to assume here that the Asteroids manual will be accurate for Asteroids Deluxe, too...

Depends. Was "Deluxe" just an enhancement to the original game board? (Like new chips or a daughter-card?) Or was it a completely dedicated new game? If complete dedicated, then there could have been some minor parts revisions somewhere...

But you're getting beeps! That's great.

NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2004, 11:34:26 am »
Depends. Was "Deluxe" just an enhancement to the original game board? (Like new chips or a daughter-card?) Or was it a completely dedicated new game? If complete dedicated, then there could have been some minor parts revisions somewhere...

But you're getting beeps! That's great.

I'm not 100% sure yet.  I haven't had time to really determine that.  The Asteroids manual is at least useful enough to help me with specific troubleshooting items like what those beeps mean.

I don't know about the boards, but I do know that AD is a different cabinet than Asteroids.  Different shape.

DarkKobold

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2004, 05:19:50 pm »
Asteroids Deluxe was definately a new board. Different voltages required too, i.e. different audio regulator board. As far as that goes, you can plug an asteroids into an asteroids deluxe harness, the sound just ends up being distorted. This group isn't really the best source of information. You should read old posts about asteroids on google groups.

As far as replacing fuses, go ahead, just make sure you get correct amperage and slow blow or fast blow, depending.

Alex Yeckley does a bang up job repairing Asteroids/Deluxe boards.
http://www.elektronforge.com/

Also, get the real asteroids deluxe manual:
http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=A&game_id=6940

« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 05:21:02 pm by DarkKobold »
My games: Tapper, Asteroids, Cocktail-MAME, Tron, ROTJ, Tempest, Star Wars (not working)

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2004, 12:30:42 am »
Also, get the real asteroids deluxe manual:
http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=A&game_id=6940

That's the manual I got... it seems to be for Asteroids.

mindofone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2005, 04:10:54 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2004, 08:31:07 am »
It almost painfs me to see all the inaccurate information people are posting! The Asteroids Deluxe PCB is different than the Asteroids PCB.

Also, the Atari 'power supply' is the Audio Reg II board which does fail and usually provides over-voltages to the PCB. The transformer assembly in the bottom of the game feeds voltages to the monitor, Audio Reg II and the lights.

You will need to check the fuses with a continuity meter to make sure they are good.

Download the Asteroids Deluxe manual and schematics from:

http://www.ionpool.net/

The tones you hear indicate either bad RAM or bad ROM.

tm

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2004, 08:56:22 am »
Also, the Atari 'power supply' is the Audio Reg II board which does fail and usually provides over-voltages to the PCB. The transformer assembly in the bottom of the game feeds voltages to the monitor, Audio Reg II and the lights.

You will need to check the fuses with a continuity meter to make sure they are good.

Thanks man.  That sounds a LOT like what I saw when I was looking in the machine.    I didn't even go near it last night.  The Sox were playing.

EDIT:  I don't see the manual there... just some hacks.   ???

EDIT2:  I just found it as PDF on another site.  I'm good to go, as soon as a night comes up with no Sox game.   8)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 09:29:05 am by ChadTower »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2004, 10:11:24 am »
I just noticed that the ground prong is cut off the plug.  I assume I should replace the cord.  Anythin special about this one, or can I just replace it with a standard 3 prong grounded?

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2004, 10:33:28 am »
I just noticed that the ground prong is cut off the plug.  I assume I should replace the cord.  Anythin special about this one, or can I just replace it with a standard 3 prong grounded?

Pretty standard other than the white molex plug that goes into the power block. You could always cut the old plug off and attach it to your new wire. Bob Roberts sells power cords already hooked up to a brand new molex connector (if you want that shiney new look  ;D or want to be sure that you don't get the wiring mixed up )

NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2004, 12:07:52 pm »
Pretty standard other than the white molex plug that goes into the power block. You could always cut the old plug off and attach it to your new wire. Bob Roberts sells power cords already hooked up to a brand new molex connector (if you want that shiney new look  ;D or want to be sure that you don't get the wiring mixed up )

I'll take a look at Bob Roberts' prices.  If it's within a small amount of a regular cord I can do myself, I'll grab one.  If it's substantially more I am confident I can do the mod myself.

DarkKobold

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2004, 07:31:32 pm »
It almost painfs me to see all the inaccurate information people are posting! The Asteroids Deluxe PCB is different than the Asteroids PCB.

tm

Actually, the power supply is in the bottom of the cab, the voltage regulator is on the ARI board. BTW, asteroids used an ARI, not an ARII.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2004, 08:43:49 pm »
Okay, I just took the board out, reseated all of the socketed eproms.  I did it very carefully, no bent pins.  Now I don't get any RAM tones, but I don't get much else either.  The light on the board is still on, but I'm not getting sound or picture.  I get the red light on the board, and there is a small amount of light in the back of the monitor tube.  There is a small amount of light in the marquee tube.  The LEDs in the control panel and the bulbs in the coin door are fully lit.

I'm guessing the next thing I need to do is get that multimeter and learn to use it to check the power supply?

DarkKobold

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2004, 02:13:00 am »
Yeah, I think that has been said now.... 3 times?

Second, you can really fry stuff if you don't plug everything in properly. The fact that you went from getting something to getting nothing scares me.

The light on the monitor is called the "spot killer" when it is on, that is bad news. You may or may not get a bright white dot in the center of the screen. That dot causes monitor problems if left on too long, i.e. strain on the deflection beam.

Make sure that EVERYTHING is unplugged, first.

You really need to check the voltages on the power supply, then on the AR, and finally, if that is ok, you can plug the main board in.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2004, 07:47:43 am »
Second, you can really fry stuff if you don't plug everything in properly. The fact that you went from getting something to getting nothing scares me.

The light on the monitor is called the "spot killer" when it is on, that is bad news. You may or may not get a bright white dot in the center of the screen. That dot causes monitor problems if left on too long, i.e. strain on the deflection beam.

Make sure that EVERYTHING is unplugged, first.

You really need to check the voltages on the power supply, then on the AR, and finally, if that is ok, you can plug the main board in.

The EPROMs are reseated properly, I'm sure of that.  I was very methodical in taking them out evenly and with the least amount of force possible, and in putting them back in firmly but gently.  I've done that many times on other types of equipment.  None of them showed any corrosion of any kind.

Are we talking about the same light in the tube?  The light I'm talking about is in the neck of the tube, like it's trying to come to life it doesn't have the juice.  I don't know if that was because it was just going to take a while because of bad caps or not since I wasn't going to leave it on very long in that state.

I'm going to Radio Shack to get a multimeter today.

froggerman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2015, 03:23:14 am
  • You want how many buttons?!
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2004, 03:24:03 pm »
I think the "light in the tube" you are referring to is the picture tube heater filament.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2004, 04:01:49 pm »
I think the "light in the tube" you are referring to is the picture tube heater filament.

Yeah, that's something along the lines of what I'm thinking.

DarkKobold

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2004, 08:25:05 pm »
Chad, it takes a moment for the tube to warm up. You need to watch to see if the red LED on the monitor board lights up. That is the spot killer.

First get your board working, that is #1.

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2004, 08:45:12 pm »
First get your board working, that is #1.

Actually, first measure the voltages... If the AR1 board is pumping out more voltage than it should, well, it's gonna fry the main board.

NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2004, 09:54:10 am »
I've been sidetracked by the World Series.  Time to get back to this.

Question:  Can I test it after unplugging all of the components from the power supply?  As in, unplug the line after the fuse going to the panel, the marquee, the monitor, the board... I remember reading that you can't test a power supply that is not under load.  What is the exact method I should be using?  I picked up a multimeter and read the instructions, so I'm good with that... but as for some of the other things I'm a bit nervous.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
Re: Asteroids Deluxe resurrection
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2004, 08:14:22 pm »
Okay, finally got back to this.  I took the PCB out and took a good look at it... one of the chips I put back in had a pin sticking out.  So I reseated that one properly, and now I'm back to the same RAM tones.  Back where I started...

...but good news in that I'm taking the pcb and ARII over to someone tomorrow who may be able to help me figure them out.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2004, 09:06:29 am »
After playing with the PCB on a known working Asteroids Deluxe cab, we got the same RAM tones.  Given that we didn't  have that RAM chip on hand, my friend Rob pulled the chip out that was testing bad and installed a socket for me.  I'm not the best solderer yet so this will be a big help for me.

We also tested the AR board.  We took the voltage regulator out and tested it out of circuit, tested fine.  We took the other regulators out, they tested fine.  We replaced some diodes.  The things don't test well in circuit, though, so I'm going to replace all of the caps on the board and see how that works out.

I have ordered 4 of the RAM chips and an AR rebuild kit from Bob Roberts.

fredster

• Grand Prophet of Arcadeology
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2019, 04:28:53 pm
  • It's all good!
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2004, 05:33:31 pm »
There are a couple of people who fix those asteroids boards.

I had Alex Yeckley fix mine for $75.00.  It ended up more because the CPU was out, but he did a good job.

Bob Roberts has a guy that fixes them.

I'm bidding on a power supply on ebay.  ARe you bidding against me?  :o

If you are I'll quit.
They have them on there from time to time.

I have an asteroids deluxe and an asteroids cocktail.

King of the Flying Monkeys from the Dark Side