Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hooking up Happ analog stick to i-pac  (Read 2317 times)

spidermonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 04:15:59 am
  • Bombjack junkie
Hooking up Happ analog stick to i-pac
« on: May 22, 2002, 06:15:12 pm »
Whats up fellas,
I want to buy a Happ analog stick with ultimate handle and wire it up to my i-pac. My question is how do I wire it up? Is it the same as wiring up a regular 8-way? It looks like there are 3 terminals on each pot. Do I use all 3 or just 2? Should I buy the optional pot amplifier or does the stick perform adaquate without it? I thought about just buying the analog stick with the standard handle because it comes with the 15 pin cable already attached but it has a rather stupid looking handle on it and won't match the other 3 bat shaped sticks on my control panel. Any suggestions would be a great help.
Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »
"Sinistar has bad breath"

JustMichael

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
Re: Hooking up Happ analog stick to i-pac
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2002, 10:19:33 pm »
The I-PAC is made for interfacing digital controls to the pc not analog controls. For $116, I would suggest you go get an 8-way stick that matches the rest on your control panel instead of buying the analog joystick.

u_rebelscum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2002, 03:14:32 am »
My question is how do I wire it up?

Like JustMichael said, ipac is not designed for analog joysticks.  If you want an analog joystick, hack a PC analog joystick and attach the happs to the PC joystick.

Is it the same as wiring up a regular 8-way? It looks like there are 3 terminals on each pot.
Do I use all 3 or just 2?
Should I buy the optional pot amplifier or does the stick perform adaquate without it?

No,
All three (I think), and
No, if you use the hacked PC joystick's POTs to replace the happs POTs, or use the happs POTs on the dual sidewinder gamepad others have hacked.

I've never hacked a joystick, so take my advice with some salt.  But others do the hacking analog joysticks a lot, but mostly for wheels/pedals or StarWars yokes.  You'll find the info somewhere on this site.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

kspiff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2002, 10:45:16 pm »
I'm thinking of picking up a set of analog sticks for a FPS setup on the cab I'm building.. it seems that there are several options:

1.) pick up a USB adaptor from Happ

2.) get the version of Happ's stick with 100k POTs (if available -- these have a gameport cable on them already

3.) get 100k replacement POTs and try Judith's Star Wars yoke hack (or a similar hack; I think the pinout for gameport should work)

Also, though I don't know if the special is over yet, vidconnect.com's last sales flyer had nice analog sticks (same as Happ's) for $39/each.  Just keep in mind these are with 5k POTs.

kspiff
k-spiff