Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: No Sound In Mame  (Read 11308 times)

Irrek0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2004, 06:45:37 pm
  • I'm a llama!
No Sound In Mame
« on: September 25, 2004, 06:57:44 pm »
Hello, I have just almost finished making my first mame arcade. I am using mame 86 and Arcade OS frontend. All the games play great and everything works except there is no sound! No start up or game selection sounds or even while playing any of the games. Does anyone know how I can fix this as I do have sound on windows 98 just not on my Mame. Obviously I have missed something but I have no idea on how to fix it! Any help is appriciated as I am new to all of this.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
Re:No Sound In Mame
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 08:59:34 pm »
Did you turn on sound in your arcadeos.cfg file?

KHAN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2005, 05:14:27 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 01:22:24 am »
FIRST OF ALL "A VERY WARM AND HAPPY WELLCOME" THE   TRADITION OF ASIANS.

Now the problem is ...have you check the sound before combine a MAME with ArcadeOS...first check just in MAME.
If you got it,there must be something wrong with your arcadeOS.cfg....
               Be agressinve to read the first reply.
BLUE BIRDS FLY WITH BLUE BIRDS

Irrek0

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 12:54:28 am »
Hi again, Thanks for your quick replies! Ok since I posted my sound problem I have totally formatted my computer and started all over again. I reinstalled Windows 98 then used fraggles boot cd and installed ArcadeOS and Mame.  I then loaded in my games from a bunch of discs from Lazarus. I then hooked my computer up to my arcade monitor and at first the sound worked but my pclock/hclock/vclock setting were off so I had no picture. I then reinstalled fraggles boot cd and got my arcade monitor to work but I now have no sound again! (just sound when i'm in windows) I'm not sure what I did to get the sound in the first place as I though I did all the setting the same with the exception of the monitor.  I tried to view my arcadeos.cfg folder but I was not able to open it as I dont know what program I'm to use when I was prompted with a bunch of windows programs to open it.
Another think I noticed is that in some games they have a border around them like looking at a cocktail cabinet which makes the actual game screen half the size it should be. Would this also be a setting or is it just the rom choice I have? It is only in a handful of games but is rather bothersome if they dont need to be there.
Is this really this difficult to setup or am I just a slow learner? :-[ I guess there is not a step-by-step guide for installing this is there? (one that is written for non-computer literate people with their only computer knowledge being self taught trial and error)
Thanks again  in advance for any help offered

daywane

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 07:18:07 am
  • GRRRR!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 09:36:51 am »
I have never worked with advance mame. but you should be able to open the file with note pad

Irrek0

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 05:29:06 pm »
o.k. I can open the arcadeos.cgf file with wordpad. Where do I turn the sound on or check to see that it is on? What exactly an I looking for?

KHAN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2005, 05:14:27 pm
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 07:28:29 pm »
Check for.

SOUND CARD  0    [in arcadeos.cfg]
you should make "0" to "1"
or if still no sound.
you have to put numbers ....one by one from 1 to 7.
check sound ....
BLUE BIRDS FLY WITH BLUE BIRDS

Irrek0

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 08:37:37 pm »
Hello, Thanks alot for the help! That was really easy! In my Arcadeos.cfg file sound card was at'0' I changed it to a '1' and now I have sound. The only problem now is that once I shut down my computer then start it up again it sets the sound card option back to '0' ! I have saved the arcadeos.cfg file once I made the change to a '1' and still the same every time I shut down computer. Does anyone know how to make the change stay if after saving does not di the trick? Also I have a crakling sound in my sound how do I make that go away as it is very bothersome. I am using a Sound Blaster Live PCI sound card and have updated the drivers for it but that did not work. Any ideas? Thanks again