Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Review in local Australian Magazine...  (Read 3768 times)

Isometric Bacon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2014, 08:53:57 pm
  • Lets get dangerous!
Review in local Australian Magazine...
« on: September 15, 2004, 04:04:57 am »
Hey guys. I was just idly flicking through the recent October Australian PC Authority, a mag I have a free subscription to because of my Uni course, and I came across a review of your book, and thought you'd like to hear about it. :)

The review wasn't very long, (only a quarter of a page, 100 words or so) but they scored it highly. I won't post it here incase i'm violating some sort of copyright law, but i guess you could convince me otherwise.

They gave it 5/6 for content,
4/6 for design
5/6 for value
and 5/6 overall.

The only real complaint that was mentioned was that it "unfortunately glossed over the more creative developments, like Linux based emulator CD's, wireless networking and using fileservers" Which in my opinion is completely understandable in the case of the book.

Congrats!

RacerX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2022, 12:06:34 pm
  • Longtime member, sometime poster.
Re:Review in local Australian Magazine...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 05:50:39 pm »
Hmmm...  I could see their point about Linux based emulators, but wireless networking and file servers don't really have anything to do with the subject matter, per se.  You can find plenty of good info on those topics from other sources.  To me those topics are too general for this book.

But it's just their opinion versus mine, so...   :)

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Re:Review in local Australian Magazine...
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 11:02:57 am »
The only real complaint that was mentioned was that it "unfortunately glossed over the more creative developments, like Linux based emulator CD's, wireless networking and using fileservers" Which in my opinion is completely understandable in the case of the book.

creative department glossed over?  The artwork isn't creative?

RacerX is right, what does fileservers and wireless networking have to do with an arcade machine.  Granted, for a home user with a PC in the arcade cabinet you could wireless network to it and use it as a fileserver, but that's not why you are building one of these :)

I'd almost write to the editor of the magazine.  

BTW, does the magazine have a website?  Yep, it does :)
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/review.aspx?CIaRID=2257&s=%22project%22+%22arcade%22
But unless the next edition comes out or you have a subscription you can't see it now.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 11:16:23 am by SirPoonga »