Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Build a ParaPara controller???  (Read 3738 times)

- r e n d e r -

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2008, 02:10:09 am
  • I'm a llama!
    • Plastic Art
Build a ParaPara controller???
« on: September 13, 2004, 03:59:52 am »
Is anyone here familiar with the controllers for ParaParaParadise?  The only home versions are for PS2 and Dreamcast...both are difficult to find and very expensive.  Also, I understand that the PS2 version doesn't work on a PC, which is what I want it for in the first place.

So, I got to thinking that maybe I could make a set myself.  Infrared sensors seem to be cheap and I figure there should be some way to get them to work with an iPac.  However, maybe I'm fooling myself and it's far more complicated than it would seem.

Anyone have advice, ideas, or info?  Thanks!

Gunstar Hero

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2014, 01:51:17 am
  • Back in action!
Re:Build a ParaPara controller???
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 01:56:36 pm »
There's no DC version, just a PS2 version. It's a USB based controller, though, so you'd probably just need to come up with a driver for it.

I'd love to see someone manage to do that tho, cause I'd dig making a set of Samba de Amigo maracas for my cabinet. Samba!!

mcdo15

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2008, 01:49:17 pm
  • why can't i make up my mind
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 02:21:53 pm »
im tryign to sell mine if your intrested

b3atmania

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2005, 09:48:57 am
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 05:19:08 pm »
I did a quick search on the Japanese auction sites... The controllers are about 1500yen (12 euro)  used. The game disc is doing about 2000yen (16 euro). You should at least double that for shipping as the controller has some volume. They don't weigh much though.

- r e n d e r -

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
    • Plastic Art
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 11:50:44 pm »
Gunstar: As you can see here, there definitely is/was a DC version...

http://www.estarland.com/index.asp?action=redir&page=SegaDreamcast&category=Accessory&product=17094&q

The PS2 version doesn't work on a PC because there are no drivers.  So, DC with an adaptor or custom built are the only way to go.  I'm really not crazy about the look or price of the DC ones, so I'd rather do it myself.

b3atmania:  What sites are you checking?  I might look into that, if they are much cheaper than I could get them from a store

Gunstar Hero

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2014, 01:51:17 am
  • Back in action!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 01:34:36 am »
LOL. Those are VERY much knock-offs!!

So I'll rephrase.

Only the PS2 has an OFFICIAL KONAMI version of Para Para Paradise complete with an OFFICIAL KONAMI controller.

And the Konami PS2 controller is USB.

How would I know you ask? Well, I live with a bemani fiend. Really. She has DDR, Beatmania (original and IIDX), Drummania, Guitar Freaks (okay, GF is mine...), Keyboardmania, Pop'N'Music and so many other dance/music/rythym game mixes, remixes and controllers that I just can't keep track of them. I've spent thousands on HER obsession.

Why else would I actually own both a japanese AND a domestic PS2??

I don't hate music games tho. I do like Samba de Amigo for DC. It has some awesome unlockable SEGA songs in it.  And of course Guitar Freaks. It lets me wail hard like a legend of rock! =)

BTW, my fiancee says that her friend has DreamPara and that it isn't half bad.

- r e n d e r -

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
    • Plastic Art
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 02:31:51 am »
Yeah, I knew they were knockoffs, but at least they would work on a PC.  I've read that they're somewhat poorly built though, so I'm hesitant to shell out the $90 or so that they would cost.  Plus, they're so damn ugly  ;D

As far as building a controller goes....I've been checking around on the web for info, but it's not really clear to me what you would need to make this happen.  Most of the sights on motion detection that I've come across are focused on building an entire circuit, depending on what you want it to do.  I don't really think that would be necessary, since I have the iPac, but I'm no electrical guru either.

The big questions, I suppose, are these:

Would you need to amplify/restrict the signal from the sensor in order for the iPac to understand it?  I don't know how much current is enough current and I definitely don't want to fry the iPac.

Can the sensor "sustain" a signal if you hold your hand under it?  Many of the songs require you to hold a note, but I'm not sure that a simple sensor could handle that unless you built a more complex circuit for it.

More and more it seems that this is a bigger job than I care to undertake right now.  I might just wait it out and see if someone manages to get a PS2 controller working in Stepmania.  Still, ideas and suggestions are welcome!

sendmoreinfo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2014, 02:05:46 pm
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 09:04:05 am »
The PS2 version doesn't work on a PC because there are no drivers.  So, DC with an adaptor or custom built are the only way to go.  I'm really not crazy about the look or price of the DC ones, so I'd rather do it myself.
There actually is a driver in StepMania CVS.  Not much of a driver, I'd say -- the device just needs a little wake-up signal and then behaves just like  another game controller.  I know since I've discovered this and wrote the patch :-)