Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Swappable panel help  (Read 2545 times)

cdbrown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
Swappable panel help
« on: September 04, 2002, 04:24:00 am »
For those out there that have swappable control panels for your cab could you please provide some details, pics, links or tips.  SNAAAKE and I have been bouncing a few ideas in a previous unrelated thread so it was time to make it a thread of it's own.  Here is the thread http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=2066;start=40 go to the bottom.

The only site i can remember having some minor details of the swappability was the Ultimate Arcade II which uses standard drawer rails and rollers.  To get it to work you required a small panel in the front to open in order to access the rails.  I would rather not have to do that so any other ideas are more than welcome.

Cheers
-cdbrown
« Last Edit: September 04, 2002, 04:25:08 am by cdbrown »

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
Re:Swappable panel help
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2002, 11:15:25 am »
I'm not planning on swappable panels... (at least for now...) but all my parts are module basis... (which means I can take it apart in short time...)  so... if I want, I could make more panels and swap....

I'm in the process of building a cab... (and not done....) but most issues had been thought out... (I think....)

I got those panel clamps from Happs... they look very good... will put them on this wkend.... most likely....
I'll use 5 of those things to clamp down my control panel... should be good enough....

I'll post pics once I'm done....   ;D   ;D
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

RacerX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2022, 12:06:34 pm
  • Longtime member, sometime poster.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2002, 11:25:52 am »
I used the same method as the Roswell cab on the examples page of this site.  It's really easy.  I open the coin door, flip two levers, unplug the panel, and I lift it right off.  Then I put the other panel on, plug it in, and pop the levers back down.  It's super easy.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2002, 12:11:56 pm »

I used the same method as the Roswell cab on the examples page of this site.  It's really easy.  I open the coin door, flip two levers, unplug the panel, and I lift it right off.  Then I put the other panel on, plug it in, and pop the levers back down.  It's super easy.

Dammit... I can't see what the bottom part of the connectors look like on the Roswell cab pics...  nor on your site racerX ...

do you have a link or a better description of the "clamps"/levers you are using (or a pic?).  

Besides the happs type (of which I'm blessed with a half set .. 2 bottoms, no tops)  what are good alternatives?  

I half thought about using two door slide locks... and someone else mentione dthat they actually used window lock type latches... but I'm having trouble seeing how they could work in my case.

Anyways... thoughts appreciated...

rampy

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2002, 01:37:47 pm »
I've also thought about window's style locks.... (and got 2 from home depot...)  but then... they only works well if you can align them and they need to be on the same plane... then they'll lock well... otherwise, they cannot lock....

I check back on my gutted cab... they use something like the Happs panel clamp... and it can lock well... since the Happs one... you can lock it even if it is perpendictular..... so... I just ended up using it....

if I didn't remember wrong... rosewell cab uses 2 of those panel clamps.....

good luck....   ;D   ;D
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

CthulhuLuke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 06:42:43 pm
  • old school
    • CthulhuLuke's Arcade Parodius
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2002, 05:15:06 pm »
These are not the same kind of panel clamps my arcade uses, but these are the only ones I've found online made for arcade cabinets, here at http://www.happcontrols.com/amusement/acesor/49005900.htm   It sux that they have a $25 dollar minimum purchase though, so if you're gonna get those, you gotta get 15 bucks more of stuff.
    -CthulhuLuke

RacerX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2022, 12:06:34 pm
  • Longtime member, sometime poster.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2002, 05:38:03 pm »

These are not the same kind of panel clamps my arcade uses, but these are the only ones I've found online made for arcade cabinets, here at http://www.happcontrols.com/amusement/acesor/49005900.htm   It sux that they have a $25 dollar minimum purchase though, so if you're gonna get those, you gotta get 15 bucks more of stuff.
    -CthulhuLuke

Those are the kind that my cabinet uses.  The moveable part of the clamp is mounted to the cabinet, whereas the fixed part is mounted to the control panel on each end.  I have two panels, so I used the fixed part off of the original panel that came with the cab, then made my own for the second panel.  I used an old bracket that my Dad had lying around.  I think it was from an old curtain rod or part of some old blinds or something.  Anyway, it had the same [ shape as the fixed bracket part of the panel clamp.  I just had to cut a short piece off and use a vise to bend one side of it a bit.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2002, 05:44:29 pm »
I have a swappable panel.  Everything possible is USB, just put panel on and plug stuff into USB.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2002, 07:50:37 pm »

I have a swappable panel.  Everything possible is USB, just put panel on and plug stuff into USB.

Yeah but it's the phsyical part of that we're interseted in...  how do you get your panel to stay on, surely not just from the friction of your usb connections, eh? =)

I wish there was a hardware store equivalent to the happs latches... (or if they sold just the tops in my case)

blah...  well I need to get some junk from happs anyways...  but I'm sure there are some other creative fastening techniques out there, that we haven't heard in this thread yet...

rampy

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2002, 08:40:54 pm »
http://free.hostdepartment.com/SirPoonga/images/y_cab17.jpg

http://free.hostdepartment.com/SirPoonga/images/y_cab11.jpg

The first pic, latch from my double dragon cabinet.  Talk to a local vendor, they have alot of left over parts or junk cabinets you could steal from:)  Also brass guides on the edge of the pic.  The latch is not latched in the pic.

Second pic.  Held down by the shelf too.  That is actually not a good design.  I am changing it.  It sucks for trackball games like golden tee golf.

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2002, 09:01:47 pm »
SirPoonga,

The links don't work - it says I don't have permission.  Be interested to see the pictures instead of the crappy sketches on Happ.

Cheers
-cdbrown

CthulhuLuke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 06:42:43 pm
  • old school
    • CthulhuLuke's Arcade Parodius
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2002, 09:30:08 pm »
Just put a ? mark after you load it and it says You don't have permission, simple work around for the anti-linking thing going on, works on geocities too.
  -Cthulhuluke

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2002, 10:01:02 pm »

SirPoonga,

The links don't work - it says I don't have permission.  Be interested to see the pictures instead of the crappy sketches on Happ.

Cheers
-cdbrown

Weird, just go tot he main page and navigate around then (ie take off the pic form the link)

telengard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:49:33 am
  • Yeah, it's a classic! 21+ on BYOAC and still goin
    • S T U R C A D E
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2002, 03:39:21 am »
I have swappable panels, but they are metal.   I had a friend put rivet nuts in the control panel base and use
screws to hold down the swappable metal panls.  Total PITA to make them but they are REAL sturdy.  Have you
looked into the latches that are used to hold coin door's shut?
S T U R C A D E     M.A.M.E. Cabinet
http://www.briansturk.com/mame.html