Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAMEWAH v1.5 Released (at last)!  (Read 18115 times)

froggerman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2015, 03:23:14 am
  • You want how many buttons?!
Re:MAMEWAH v1.5 Released (at last)!
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2004, 01:35:40 am »
froggerman: did the lcd support work? I was planning to test it but I've not had any free time at all lately to hook up my lcd again.

There are a couple of apps knocking around for the LCD file generation. You can get mine at:
http://fp.silverfoxy.plus.com/SilverSoftware.htm
Although they are somewhat imperfect due to there be a lack of accurate button information in mameinfo.xml. ControlsDat Project has it perfect but not for all the games. This app genereates best possibile descriptions from both. (I hope)

Sorry Silver,

Things have been super busy at work the past few days. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Thanks for the link to your program, I will good my LCD display up again and give it a try.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 08:27:17 pm by froggerman »

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2004, 04:43:07 am »
1) OK.. I've been getting a runtime error ever since I setup the entrance audio in Mamewah. If I try and navigate through the menus by pressing player 2 button I get a 'Runtime Error 91'

If I wait until the sound is done I don;t get the error, but if I try and navigate I will get it 7 times out of 10.

2) I also cannot get zsnes to generate a list in Mamewah. I have zsnesw.ini and zsnesw-0.ini I didn;t have to change anything in the first ini and all I did was use the mame-0.ini and rename it. I have other emulators working, but I cannot get this one to generate at list. It never gives me the option to generate the main list, just to create a filtered list.

1) Interesting...I had been getting a Run Time Error 91 a few times...I *think* I have fixed it - please could you email me for a WIP version to test it out?

2) You have a custom list selected (somehow)...go Select Custom List and pick the top one.  You should then be able to 'Generate List'...

clanggedin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2012, 11:08:55 pm
  • O'DOYLE RULES!!!
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2004, 12:04:06 pm »
you have been PMed

bigle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2006, 02:22:54 pm
  • i may or may not be a llama
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2004, 04:52:41 pm »
in the old version i was able to have games listed only by their names in my custom lists.

ie arcanoid instead of arcanoid (world)

i tried disabling long names in the mamewah ini but that didn't work.

it's not a big deal but it makes things look cleaner so if anyone has any idea how to do this i'd appreciate you letting me know.

It's basically the same...your custom list ini file (eg mame-1.ini) should have:

display_clone_info                        0

...in it by default.  When you generate a filtered list the clone info will be gotten rid of :)

maybe i'm not asking this right.  i made 5 custom lists (classics, fighting, strategy, sports, misc) each with about 20 games and then turned off displaying the main list.  i made the custom lists by adding games to them from within mamewah.  i didn't use any filters.  currently the games display as pac-man (midway) or pengo (set 1 rev c) when i would like them to display as just pac-man or pengo.  i got this to work in the old set up but have no idea how.

also, i am getting a run time error 445 occasionally when i try to start mamewah as i'm trying different things in my ini files.  i have to escape out and restart.  this isn't that big of deal right now but i won't have a mouse once i put everything in the cab.  any idea what i'm doing to cause this?
who fishes with cheese?

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2004, 07:47:56 pm »
maybe i'm not asking this right.  i made 5 custom lists (classics, fighting, strategy, sports, misc) each with about 20 games and then turned off displaying the main list.  i made the custom lists by adding games to them from within mamewah.  i didn't use any filters.  currently the games display as pac-man (midway) or pengo (set 1 rev c) when i would like them to display as just pac-man or pengo.  i got this to work in the old set up but have no idea how.

also, i am getting a run time error 445 occasionally when i try to start mamewah as i'm trying different things in my ini files.  i have to escape out and restart.  this isn't that big of deal right now but i won't have a mouse once i put everything in the cab.  any idea what i'm doing to cause this?

Ah, sorry, the display_clone_info 0 option is broken when adding games one-by-one - it will be fixed next release.

You're the third to mention RT 445 to me...but I'm not sure what causes it yet.  Any info you can give me on when exactly it happens would be helpful...

bigle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2006, 02:22:54 pm
  • i may or may not be a llama
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2004, 02:36:36 pm »

Ah, sorry, the display_clone_info 0 option is broken when adding games one-by-one - it will be fixed next release.

You're the third to mention RT 445 to me...but I'm not sure what causes it yet.  Any info you can give me on when exactly it happens would be helpful...

ok, well then i guess i can stop messing with that.

i usually have the rt445 error when i first try to launch mamewah (clicking on the .exe from the mamewah folder) after turning on the computer (old pIII 800).  i have to hit escape to get out, then i can usually run mamewah without any problem after that.  only the one time did i get the error a couple times in a row.  sorry i can't provide any more info but i'm not that computer savvy.
who fishes with cheese?

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2004, 03:02:42 pm »
i usually have the rt445 error when i first try to launch mamewah (clicking on the .exe from the mamewah folder) after turning on the computer (old pIII 800).  i have to hit escape to get out, then i can usually run mamewah without any problem after that.  only the one time did i get the error a couple times in a row.  sorry i can't provide any more info but i'm not that computer savvy.

No worries, that might help track it down.  I am nearly ready for the bugfix release, so please post if the problem persists in the new version...

liquid8

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2017, 04:02:02 am
  • I working on it.. it'll be a while.
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2004, 12:00:14 am »
for the problem with no option to generate a list, you may be having the same problem i did. Make sure in your emulator ini, you have it set to current_list       0

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2004, 08:20:16 pm »
If anyone has an lcd screen, please test it for me - I'd like to know if it works  ::)
Hi Minwah, I have tested this the best that I can at the moment and I was not able to get this to work. I am also having problems creating the lcd files, but that is another matter.

I updated the mamewah.ini and the mame.ini files as you suggested. I created a single file 1942.lcd and then tested. I don't get anything on the lcd screen. I tried copying the file 1942.lcd to com1: and that worked fine. I have run out of things to try for the moment. Can you suggest anything else?

Cheers.

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2004, 08:24:07 pm »
froggerman: did the lcd support work? I was planning to test it but I've not had any free time at all lately to hook up my lcd again.

There are a couple of apps knocking around for the LCD file generation. You can get mine at:
http://fp.silverfoxy.plus.com/SilverSoftware.htm
Although they are somewhat imperfect due to there be a lack of accurate button information in mameinfo.xml. ControlsDat Project has it perfect but not for all the games. This app genereates best possibile descriptions from both. (I hope)
Hi Silver,

I have time now and I tried to get you little application to work. I was not able to get things to generate. I download and installed the support files, the controls.dat and generated the listinfo file.

I get 2 errors and then the program runs to completion but it does not create any LCD files. I will try to attach the 2 screens below.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 08:28:53 pm by froggerman »

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2004, 05:33:26 am »
If anyone has an lcd screen, please test it for me - I'd like to know if it works  ::)
Hi Minwah, I have tested this the best that I can at the moment and I was not able to get this to work. I am also having problems creating the lcd files, but that is another matter.

I updated the mamewah.ini and the mame.ini files as you suggested. I created a single file 1942.lcd and then tested. I don't get anything on the lcd screen. I tried copying the file 1942.lcd to com1: and that worked fine. I have run out of things to try for the moment. Can you suggest anything else?

Damn >:(  I was pretty sure it'd work alright...other than checking the settings are right (COM port etc.) there's not much else you can do.

I'll take a look thru the code when I get chance...it's gonna be pretty tricky for me to fix without a screen to try it on tho.

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2004, 10:40:08 am »
A simple suggestion is to connect another PC to your serial port. Use the Hyperteminal application on the second PC. Anything that comes out of the serial prot will dispaly on the second machine. You don't have to worry about any formatting just get a string to be displayed.

I am at work at the moment but the values I used were com1  and 19200,8,n,1. If I remember correctly the specification for com1 was just the nubmer 1. I don't know if it makes any difference but my lcd files are in the path d:/mame/lcd. Also I never saw the 'front end' text, which I enclosed in single quotes 'MAME - Multiple Arcade Machine Emulation'

If you have anything you would like me to try, please let me know.

Cheers.

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2004, 10:46:45 am »
A simple suggestion is to connect another PC to your serial port. Use the Hyperteminal application on the second PC. Anything that comes out of the serial prot will dispaly on the second machine. You don't have to worry about any formatting just get a string to be displayed.

I am at work at the moment but the values I used were com1  and 19200,8,n,1. If I remember correctly the specification for com1 was just the nubmer 1. I don't know if it makes any difference but my lcd files are in the path d:/mame/lcd. Also I never saw the 'front end' text, which I enclosed in single quotes 'MAME - Multiple Arcade Machine Emulation'

If you have anything you would like me to try, please let me know.

I suspect you have it all right...you don't need the quotes around the FE text tho.

Good idea btw, I didn't think of that (I've not done any serial comms stuff before).  I don't have a serial cable tho, I'll try to get hold of one...

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2004, 10:49:42 am »
Just remember you need a crossover cable, or a modem eliminator cable, when connecting 2 PCs together and you are not using modems. Sometimes you can get a modem eliminaotor plug and just put that on the end of a normal serial cable. Too bad you can't drop by the house, I would give you one. You are just too far away!

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2004, 11:02:03 am »
Just remember you need a crossover cable, or a modem eliminator cable, when connecting 2 PCs together and you are not using modems. Sometimes you can get a modem eliminaotor plug and just put that on the end of a normal serial cable. Too bad you can't drop by the house, I would give you one. You are just too far away!

OK, thanks :)

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2004, 03:30:09 am »
Aha - apologies Minwah for not getting round to testing that LCD stuff as promised...

Right i finally have some spare time tomorrow, so I will get the LCD up and running to test, as you say Minwah if anything isn't working it will almost certainly be easy to fix - theres not much to go wrong at all....

and froggerman - I will take a look the problems you are having. First guess is that there have been some slight alterations to the xml code from the controls.dat project - I know they completely changed the "online generation" system after I wrote the program, and I have not had a chance to take a look. Incidentally, does it error if you only use the mamelistinfo.xml?? I will test all this myself tomorrow anyway, but just trying to get a feel for it.

Cheers

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2004, 07:01:11 pm »
It seen that it MAMEWAH cannot execute batch (*.bat) files, but "only" support *.lnk and *.url files?

Do a wrapper exists (like that one for VPinball), so I can execute batch files (wich I use with few emulators to start these roms)?

Little Bug: In mamewah/ctrlr/default.ini, you forgot to tell users, it only support uppercase letters. If I try to use a lowercase letter, that control will not work (why dot to automatic convert it to uppercase?).

I'm using the laster (otherwice great) MAMEWAH 1.5.1.
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2004, 07:32:55 am »
Ok I've not got the LCD support working in Mamewah. I'll try and few more settings and email Minwah and see if we can figure it all out - I'll take a look at the LCD gen program too....

wj2k3

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2006, 12:23:48 am
  • Not!
« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2004, 12:34:34 pm »
I am unable to get the LCD support to work either.  (not complaining, just trying to help)

I didn't get an opportunity to set up my LCD yet but I did hook a cable from my COM1 to my COM2.  The ran Hyperterminal on COm2.  

I am able to copy my sample.lcd file to COM1 and have it show up in hypertermianl, but not through MameWah.  I will keep trying different settings.

Awesome program though!!!

-wj2k3

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2004, 11:15:43 pm »
In mamewah.ini, edit these settings:

lcd_com_port (place your serial (COM) port no. here)
lcd_settings (place settings here*)

* baud rate (110/300/600/1200/2400/9600/14400/28800/38400/56000/128000/256000), parity ([e]ven,
  • dd, [n]one, [m]ark, pace), data bits (4-8), stop bits (1, 1.5, 2) - eg 9600,n,8,1 (this will vary depending on your screen etc.)
I notice in your list of baud rates that you do not include 19200. Is this just a typo or do you indeed not support that baud rate. The settings that I tested for the LCD panel were 19200,8,N,1

I am just wondering if this had anything to do with the problem I am having.

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2004, 04:59:05 am »
I notice in your list of baud rates that you do not include 19200. Is this just a typo or do you indeed not support that baud rate. The settings that I tested for the LCD panel were 19200,8,N,1

Good spot, I think I just missed 19200 off the list - it should work.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2004, 06:23:46 am »

* baud rate (110/300/600/1200/2400/9600/14400/28800/38400/56000/128000/256000), parity ([e]ven,
  • dd, [n]one, [m]ark, pace), data bits (4-8), stop bits (1, 1.5, 2) - eg 9600,n,8,1 (this will vary depending on your screen etc.)
Make you sure you enter them as 19200,n,8,1 and not 19200,8,n,1 ..... I thought that was the problem at first....

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2004, 09:13:02 am »
@froggerman:

I've traced the problem in program down to the superscript '3' character on "Alien3: The Gun" - it's causing the MS Sax XML parser to scream obscenities....

A quick fix would be to remove the entry for this game from the controldat.xml, although I will work on a fix for this and others asap...

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2004, 10:27:46 am »

Make you sure you enter them as 19200,n,8,1 and not 19200,8,n,1 ..... I thought that was the problem at first....

Thanks for the pointer. I had to look at it about 3 times before I could see the difference. Problem is that I didn't look at that as I am used to always entering 8,n,1. n,8,1 just seems backwards to me. I will check this out when I get home.

Cheers.

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2004, 10:28:40 am »
@froggerman:

I've traced the problem in program down to the superscript '3' character on "Alien3: The Gun" - it's causing the MS Sax XML parser to scream obscenities....

A quick fix would be to remove the entry for this game from the controldat.xml, although I will work on a fix for this and others asap...
That is a simple fix. I will give it a try tonight.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2004, 12:32:28 pm »
Or an even simpler fix which keeps the game info in is simply to change Alien3 to Alien3...

(And I am not making ANY comment as which is actually correct, as there seems to have been a debate about including stylized names in Mame before. It just doesn't work in my program, despite people claiming that superscript works correctly in MSXML 3.0 and 4.0. I'm using 4.0 in VB6 and it's falling over. Short of using a 'proper' XML parser - any suggestions out there?)

Silver

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2004, 07:34:37 pm »
Well this if very frustrating. I removed the character after Alien, it was something like &0179; I actually changed it to just a 3. I still get the same 2 errors. What did you use to edit the file? I tried it with both Notepad and Wordpad.

I also checked my LCD configuration settings. Despite what i said earlier, I actually had the correct information entered.

So basically I am still no further ahead.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2004, 03:09:13 am »
re:LCD prog

Hmmmm, when I viewed  the controls.xml I had an actual superscript 3 visible... which i then removed. I used wordpad, but you must not save it in RTF or anything - just plain text. It is occurring to me that we could be encountering issues about how windows is dealing with this character inside wordpad - what version windows are you using and is it in English etc...etc..?

I've had less time than I'd like to properly sort this out, as it seems I am currently tied to the M$ parser issues... If you completely remove the entry for alien3 from <game romname="alien3"......> all the way to </game> do you still get the error.

re:Mamewah LCD support

No one appears to have got this working yet, but MinWah is on the case (as ever) and there will be some testing done within 12 hours.... ;-)

S

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2004, 06:30:04 am »
Ok, interesting.

1st off, @froggerman. The &0179 character is what comes up in mame's own listinfo for me, using the command line: mame -listinfo > listinfo.xml
However, the error you were getting comes from the controlsdat.xml which when downloaded from the controlsdat project has the proper 3.

2ndly, I think on preliminary research (although I am probably opening myself up to some 'xml noob' abuse here) that if an xml file contains characters that are outside the ANSI 0-127 - which 3 is - then they should(?) have an encoding flag in the 1st line of the xml indicating that they contain special characters. For example the first line of the controlsdat.xml is:

<?xml version='1.0'?>

However, if I change this to:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding="UTF-16"?>

AND save it as "unicode" file - then it will parse perfectly and generate a 3 no problem.

Anyway, I'm sure its a limitation with the parser to some extent, as you can't just change the encoding flag and not the file format as it will say "can't change encoding" when trying to parse.

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether the XML file should contain this flag, or is it simply rubbish parsing?

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2004, 07:55:38 am »
Woops, sorry for all the posts (off-topic too!) but just to say that you don't need to edit anything in the controls.dat xml file - simply open it in wordpad, then save it but select type as "unicode". This new file will be bigger, and parse correctly.

S

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2004, 03:37:00 pm »
I will give this a try. I was indeed looking in the wrong file, which explains why the result didn't change.  

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2004, 09:48:39 am »
Well this thread should probably be left alone (finally!)

Just to say that the parsing bug has been resolved, and controls.xml is now being encoded in UTF by the controlsDat team removing any parsing errors. (hurrah). So everything should work perfectly out-of-the-box, or straight from download anyway....

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2004, 08:20:28 pm »
Just wanted to let you know that I've updated my proggy again after a rather glaring oversight - I was ignoring all the clone games from controlsDAT (as they only have info on the parents) - so you know get control info on another 1000 or so games.... (!)

Few other additions too.

Mamewah still hasn't released his bigfix version which includes the LCD support working - but if you are desperate I'm sure he can send you a working exe if you email him. Otherwise I'm sure it won't be long.....

Cheers,
Silver

Rahzel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 07:45:11 pm
  • MAME4LiFE
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2004, 02:59:09 am »
Still doesn't support multiple rom paths..  :-[

I havn' t cried in so long until now. Anyways, keep up the good work minwah, I know one day you'll add this feature  ;)

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2004, 05:48:29 am »
Mamewah still hasn't released his bigfix version which includes the LCD support working - but if you are desperate I'm sure he can send you a working exe if you email him. Otherwise I'm sure it won't be long.....

Yes, sorry I was meaning to post about it...

It will probably be a little while before I release the next bug-fix, as I just got an Xbox  ;)  That said, I am steadily fixing bugs and so far its going well...email me for the LCD-fixed version...

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2004, 05:50:20 am »
Still doesn't support multiple rom paths..  :-[

Sorry, no...but if you're using MAME you *can* use multiple rom paths, by using the verifysets_vs_listxml (or listinfo) list_generation_method .  For other emulators you'll have to wait for v2...

soslo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2012, 03:23:36 pm
  • The Governator
    • My website does not have a name yet
Re: MAMEWAH v1.5 Released (at last)!
« Reply #116 on: December 14, 2004, 12:57:21 am »
Minwah - you are the minMAN!

1.52 is sooooooooo much better than .9x....Thank you for saving me hours of my life in setup & configuration  ;D
5 MAME cabs and counting...

Ever wonder what full side art looks like?
http://www.aaronmurray.com