Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: small control panel options...  (Read 2177 times)

translucentegg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2002, 11:11:25 am
small control panel options...
« on: September 01, 2002, 07:49:18 pm »
i have an old Vanguard converting into a MAME cab. this will be my 1st cabinet(for some reason everyone says booze is surely a must?)  control panel space in only 23 inches by 6 inches.  is it too much to have a track ball 2 1/4(happs) 1 joystick, 6 buttons, 1 and 2 player buttons, esc. button, and a spinner?  i have searched other peoples control panels and really have not found one with the same dimensions.  or setup.  any replys WILL be helpful! thanks!

transegg
My baloney has a first name it's h-o-m-e-r
My baloney has a second name it's h-o-m-e-r

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
Re:small control panel options...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2002, 08:34:50 pm »
Just speaking off the cuff.. I'd think yeah.. you could do that...   there might be some compromises involved....  It might be a little cramped or have the spinner in an unideal location (something is going to have to be placed on the far right of the panel..

I'd suggest downloading the visio templates available in the BYOAC downloads section... I set it up to my exact measurements (ok I goofed and was really off by 1/4" but still...)  and placed mock layouts of where stuff would go.  

I have a simliar width control panel (originally) and I decided (and did) to extend the control panel out in a "T" formation based on some other projects I had seen as a good solution to my space and control needs... but I digress,  my best guess you could get em to fit =P

good luck,

rampy

KeithD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2008, 07:57:26 am
  • I HAVE built my own arcade controls!
    • Nameless Cab
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2002, 09:02:05 pm »
Mine is 26" wide by 8" and I have (from the left) 2 buttons, stick, 2 buttons, stick, 2 buttons, with a spinner below and centered between the 2 middle buttons. All of it would fit in 6" if I had to.

Hth

K
You laugh because I am different;
I laugh because you are all the same.

translucentegg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2002, 10:51:06 pm »
thanks for tips!  oh yeah, does anyone think it necessary to have 6 buttons as opposed to 3?  i am not a big fan of SF style games...just old school games....

ThaNks

transegg

chanson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2003, 01:09:57 pm
  • Finished 1 MAME machine, working on #2!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2002, 09:53:37 am »
If you don't want SF specifically, you don't need six buttons.  Neo-Geo games seem to need four buttons.

If you like the old games, you might consider arranging your buttons like my first cab.  I have only one player, with four buttons. They are arranged in a square and allow me to play QBert with buttons instead of a joystick.  Unless you come up with some wierd scheme (a dedicated joy that's rotated), that game is not very good in most MAME cabs.  With four buttons in a square, you can control the direction by pushing the buttons.  Works great!

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2002, 10:26:51 am »
It depends on what old school games you like.  A couple of my favorites, Defender & Stargate, both require more than three buttons.  Defender needs 5 and Stargate uses 6, if you play with the cheats off.

translucentegg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2002, 11:13:11 am »
defender is GREAT!  i did not even think about that.  so i guess i will go ahead and stick with the 6 button option. thanks for the help!

transegg