Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Finishing Touches: ATX Power Supply Followup  (Read 2166 times)

Steve Johnson

• Trade Count: (0)
Finishing Touches: ATX Power Supply Followup
« on: May 28, 2002, 03:32:25 pm »
Greetings, All!

I previously posted that I had acquired an ATX power supply from PowMax which contained an auxilary power plug (similar to older AT style P.S.) enabling a single power switch solution, ie: power up PC and power strip powers up because is it powered by this aux port on p.s.

Unfortunately, I posted "success" message too hastily and wished to offer a correction so that others are not misled. The aux power port on this (and other) ATX power supplies that have them is powered on when you switch unit on in back....this is not what I was after.

I was under the mistaken impression upon first wireup that this unit was coming on when powerswitch was applied by motherboard.

Therefore, I went with the "CoBeav approach" and wired a relay directly into my powerstrip which causes the power strip to power up when receiving 12 volt signal when power is applied to the PC.

The writeup that he has provided provides a good summary of what I have done with the exception that I only needed to use a single pole for one side of the 110V connection.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Carsten Carlos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 05:06:25 am
  • Projects: Centipede extended, Asteroids
    • Carlos' Centipede-extended
Re: Finishing Touches: ATX Power Supply Followup
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2002, 12:18:37 am »
The aux power port on this (and other) ATX power supplies that have them is powered on when you switch unit on in back....

Yep, unfortunately they are all build this way. It just makes production cheaper. :(

with the exception that I only needed to use a single pole for one side of the 110V connection.

Wouldn't recommend to do this to others - better to use two pole, like every professional switch does.
It's no problem when you are careful, but there is still a risk of shock when you are muddling around in your cab and you think there is no power there 'cause marquee etc. doesn't light up anyway.
Of course, if you always plug the cab out before doin electric work on it's all ok. I just would do it the safe (and professional) way.

SteveJ34

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2024, 12:29:40 am
Re: Finishing Touches: ATX Power Supply Followup
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2002, 01:40:00 am »

Wouldn't recommend to do this to others - better to use two pole, like every professional switch does.
It's no problem when you are careful, but there is still a risk of shock when you are muddling around in your cab and you think there is no power there 'cause marquee etc. doesn't light up anyway.
Of course, if you always plug the cab out before doin electric work on it's all ok. I just would do it the safe (and professional) way.

Agreed.

It was an inline replace of the existing switch in the  surge protector/power strip which was only using a single pole and this is all enclosed in its orginal casing. The aux connector off the p.s. powers the strip (since I had already replaced the original ATX p.s. in the case).

There is a single power plug to the cab. When it's unplugged, all is unplugged.

Steve