Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wingman Warrior in Mame  (Read 4813 times)

mdemola

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2002, 09:11:08 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Wingman Warrior in Mame
« on: August 29, 2002, 09:47:38 am »
Can anyone help. I installed a wingman warrior using les23. I am having a hell of a time getting the spinner to work in mame. The spiiner works when running the test for wingman warrior in does but no luck in mame. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
Re:Wingman Warrior in Mame
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2002, 10:03:32 am »
Are you using dmame, mame, or mame32?

if a command line version are you adding the right "switch" to enable wingman warrior support?

I haven't tried WW in a while in MAME, but will be shortly again for mounting on my control panel for my cabinet...

I thought I stumbled on a message somewhere in the archives here that different versions of the LES software treat the spinner differently... *shrug* sorry can't be of more help, at the moment...

but if you let us know which version of MAME you are using, adn your OS maybe we oculd help more...  also which port you are using, the serial or the gameport... uhm... so yeah... let us know.. and then I can go home and try and see if I have a simliar problem...

Have you tried it with regular games (not MAME, some generic FPS or something? )

rampy

mdemola

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2002, 10:40:11 am »
Wow thanks for the quick response. I am running mame version 59 with the arcade at home front end. The wingman is connected to com2 and I also have a trackball connected to the ps2 port. The trackball seems to work in mame. I am wondering if it is defaulting to the trackball instead of the mouse driver used for the wingman spinner.
I am running windows 98

Also when I choose the wingman warrior joystick in arcade at home front end i get a mesg that mame can not run.
Thanks
Again
« Last Edit: August 29, 2002, 10:42:52 am by mdemola »

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2002, 01:05:35 pm »
If you can stand to wait till this weekend, I'll probably have time to give it ago... and post my findings...

Just for giggles/testing purposes, maybe try downloading/using mame32  it's worth a shot although I'm not sure what it'll rule out...

What happens if you disable the LES proggie (i'd assume it just wouldn't work..)

Sorry can't be more help initially, but I do have a WW and will see how it works with a similiar setup (i.e. figure what hoops if any need to be jumped through... )

Just for historical purposes here's an old thread on WW prob someone was having...

*shrug*

rampy

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2002, 01:10:50 pm »

Wow thanks for the quick response. I am running mame version 59 with the arcade at home front end. The wingman is connected to com2 and I also have a trackball connected to the ps2 port. The trackball seems to work in mame. I am wondering if it is defaulting to the trackball instead of the mouse driver used for the wingman spinner.
I am running windows 98

Just a hunch, If you are using mamed (DOS mame) in a DOS box, make sure the Wingman is NOT plugged into the com port, reboot windows, plug the Wingman in, and load the driver.  (see the optimous.zip file from www.mame.net for more info).  Not sure if this works with the Windows versions of MAME also?

Also when I choose the wingman warrior joystick in arcade at home front end i get a mesg that mame can not run.

That's odd?
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2002, 03:47:31 pm »
BTW this Thread could be relavent even if it's kinda about a different situation... i.e. if LES2.3 software makes teh spinner emulate a mouse... maybe it would be better to just turn on mame's mouse support...  instead of -joy  wingmanwarrior (orwhatever the switch is)

just a thought... good luck

rampy

mdemola

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2002, 03:52:39 pm »
I have the mouse enabled in mame. I use the trackball for games like missile command and marble madnes without any problem. This is what is confusing to me. Mame recognizes the mouse but not the spinner. Also when I use the les23 calibrator for dos I am able to control the spinnerand set the sensitivity. Weird huh.
:-\

Thanks

)p(

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2009, 03:38:15 am
  • We are the Galaxians...
    • Emulaxian:cabinet and frontend
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2002, 04:39:25 pm »
Ok i have a ww in my cab works great...

yes you need les 2.3
then you need to map the spinner to the mouse in les and associate it with your mame.exe or to use it in all dos programs associate it with coomand.com

then in mame you will have to enable the mouse and the joystick (i don't enable the ww joustick but just a genric one...I don't know if that is nescessay anymore but with some versions of mame there was a conflict when you enabled the ww joystick with -joy)

(I just set one commandline option in my fe to enable the mmouse and a generic joystick for all "dial" games...works perfect!)

Peter

mdemola

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2002, 08:55:10 am »
Thanks for the info. I was able to get the wingman working. The only option in arcade at home that would get it to work was the dual joystick setting, but the control on it is very choppy and unplayable. I have been changing the sensitivity settings but still no luck. Any ideas on how to get a more accurate control from the wingman spinner.

Thanks
Mike  ???

)p(

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2009, 03:38:15 am
  • We are the Galaxians...
    • Emulaxian:cabinet and frontend
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2002, 09:28:18 am »

Thanks for the info. I was able to get the wingman working. The only option in arcade at home that would get it to work was the dual joystick setting, but the control on it is very choppy and unplayable. I have been changing the sensitivity settings but still no luck. Any ideas on how to get a more accurate control from the wingman spinner.

Thanks
Mike  ???

don't know about running it from arcaded at home...
but..you will also have to fiddle a bit with the settings in les 2.3 if i remember coorectly up the sensitivity and there is an entry to choose between steering/turning etc. that has to be set properly also...after that you can adjust your naalog settings in mame itself to get it perfect for each game...it works really wel when you have it properly setup...you will love playing tempest!  :D
if you can't figure it out...let me know and i will take a look at the settings in my cab...

peter

mdemola

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2002, 09:30:02 am »
Thanks

I will give it a try and let you know the results.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2002, 09:30:03 am »
Forgive me if this seems obvious (i.e. you already tried this)... but have played with the analog sensistivity settings in MAME?  I believe ~ brings  up the menu in game... sorry if you already tried this and still had jerky movement...

FWIW, when I had my wingman warrior working with MAME ages ago, it felt like it played fairly well for DOT and arkanoid and such or at least not jerky...

BTW I've long since misplaced my wingman warrior driver disc, have you seen the older software available to download anywhere (just off hand... I could always fire up google =P )

rampy

mdemola

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2002, 09:32:38 am »
I am using les23. This is the oldest I have seen. If you need a copy let me know I will send it to you.

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2002, 07:33:36 pm »
I have a WW on my system. I have Win98SE, and run MAME32 with no problems at all. I didn't have to really do anything to get it to work. It acts as a mouse in my second serial port. Also, the spinner works pretty darn good for me in MAME32. I tried using WW in a DOS version of MAME before, but had bad luck with it.

Maybe you can try it out in MAME32? See what results you get compared to DOS MAME and A@H...?

Best of Luck!
I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com