Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: FYI - Lasergames (Daphne) look awesome on an S-Video tv  (Read 2374 times)

MrArcade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2022, 03:45:28 pm
  • I wish I had time to play these games !!!
FYI - Lasergames (Daphne) look awesome on an S-Video tv
« on: August 27, 2002, 05:25:43 pm »
I have been playing Daphne on my pc monitor for a while.  When I play fullscreen the video is not the greatest.  I just played it in a window.  Now that I have them same video card hooked up to an S-Video tv the lasergames look near perfect.  I could not believe how much better it looks than a pc monitor...

http://home.woh.rr.com/ultimatearcade/nba/
Oh, the memories of living on pizza subs and Dr Pepper...

Dink

Re:FYI - Lasergames (Daphne) look awesome on an S-Video tv
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2002, 12:10:04 pm »
Looks better?... or just more washed out, grainy like the original? :)  In other words, it looks more like you remember? :)

MrArcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2002, 01:09:12 pm »
Better in a big way.  When I play games fullscreen on a pc monitor via daphne there are noticeable flaws in the video...vertical lines etc.  On the tv these do not occor....it looks great!

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2002, 02:07:02 pm »
http://www.xiaou2.homestead.com/turbo.html

Still the best images showing the differences.

btw, I still thing SVGA's look like crap for old games....

why?  The original games running at 320x200... and your running it on a monitor that can handle 1600x1024... It gets really blocky no matter what the settings on the monitor are..

plus... sounds weird... but the original monitors had round pixels... not really, but they were so far apart from each other that they brightness was turned way up... this rounded the pixels.

I was considering looking at making a new scanline type setting in mame that would actually need a super high resolution that would seperate the r, g, and b into three pixels... and have the rest around it blank similar to the originals...  Might look better

Dink

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2002, 07:31:57 pm »

Better in a big way.  When I play games fullscreen on a pc monitor via daphne there are noticeable flaws in the video...vertical lines etc.  On the tv these do not occor....it looks great!

Hmm sounds like a bad set of MPEGs or a bad SVGA out on your video card.

I'll take SVGA without scanlines any day.

MrArcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2002, 07:50:48 pm »
Just to be clear....I am only talking about Daphne here.  I think you will see the video issues with almost any video card.

Now windows apps/games do NOT look nearly as good on the tv as on a pc monitor.  PinMame is the best example.  It looks awesome on a pc monitor, but not on a tv...

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:41:41 am
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2002, 12:40:18 am »
Vertical, or Horizontal lines?  The DL video is interlaced, and looks a little funky on a PC monitor without de-interlacing it...

I've been playing Space Ace and DL on my PC monitor, and I do see the interlacing probs at times, but I still think it looks pretty good....

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2002, 12:54:30 am »
MrArcade and Warborg, could you give some input in this thread please?

http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=2368

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2002, 01:50:39 am »

MrArcade and Warborg, could you give some input in this thread please?

http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=2368

(above) Thanks Lilwolf : )

Sasquatch,

I have the Dragons Lair I & II DVD's.  I cant remember the dvd player type i have, and its not on the face.  An ATI Radion VE with Svideo out... and it works great.   At one point in time, I also bought that crappy cd version... and was quite PO'ed at the lame quality.  I can assure you that the DVD versions will more than please you.  They are Flawless replicas.  Looks great even on the PC monitor!!!... and I usually wouldnt say such a thing!  : )