Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: i got a plastics-allergy (no joke), so...  (Read 4858 times)

RKL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2002, 05:13:09 pm
  • I'm a llama!
i got a plastics-allergy (no joke), so...
« on: August 27, 2002, 05:32:03 pm »
.... i cant use normal arcade-sticks anymore  :-\
- if i do, my hands start to get hot and hurt...not even wearing gloves really helps: thin gloves dont "protect" me from the plastic and with thick gloves my fingers are too stiff to play on an acceptable level....  >:(
so, the only choice i have, if i dont want to stop gaming (and i sure dont want to!), is to build my own "plastics-free" arcade-stick. - the biggest problem i have here, is the buttons: they

JustMichael

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
Re:i got a plastics-allergy (no joke), so...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2002, 06:21:12 pm »
1...  You should get this "allergy" confirmed.  I know if I play hard for an hour or so my hands are hot and hurt.

2...  Have you tried latex examination gloves (like the doctors slip on to examine you)?

3...  Are you sure you aren't actually allergic to some solvent that was used to clean the plastic before you got it?  Some minute traces of the solvent(s) may have remained behind on the plastic.

4...  Have you tried cleaning the plastic yourself?

As far as non-plastic arcade controls I have never heard of any company that sells any.  You would most likely have to make your own controls.

As for the buttons, you could see if any companies can plate the plastic with metal.

chanson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2003, 01:09:57 pm
  • Finished 1 MAME machine, working on #2!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2002, 07:31:59 pm »
Agreed, If you haven't, have yourself allergy tested.

That said, I wouldn't try latex gloves, as latex allergy is much more common and more severe than plastic allergy.

In a similar way, metals (especially inexpensive ones that could be plated onto a button) are also allergenic.

The possibility of a solvent or cleaner causing this is very real, so I'd check that out also.

Plastics are so common in our world, do you also have problems typing on a computer keyboard, driving your car (possibly leather coated wheel though), writing with pens (plastic), using a mouse, etc.?

I think you may find that it's something other than the plastic itself... look for anything else that causes similar problems, and strongly consider allergy testing if it's not been done.

RKL

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2002, 05:13:09 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2002, 05:29:40 am »
...the allergy IS confermed and YES, my hands also start to hurt if i touch any other things made of plastic - including the steering wheel of my car, CD-cases, the remote-control of my TV....
having this kind of severe allergy is highly uncommon and most likely caused by a chronified infection that i had over years and which drove my immuno-system kind of "insane" (in the way that it overreacts on various materials...)
....all that is not too much of a problem as long i dont have to touch the plastic for a longer time (the steering wheel of my car, for example, has indeed a leather mantle - i couldnt drive without it).
... the idea to use latex gloves sounds good - ill definitely try that...although i fear that my immuno-system will start to develop an allergy on latex quite soon  then (if it hasnt already)...
to the button-problem: hmmm, if it was really possible to plate the buttons with metal, that would be great (would have to be nickel, though) - but i doubt that the metal would last long on the buttons (since it would have to be VERY thin and endure constant usage)....

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2002, 08:37:57 am »
How about trying some buttons (switches) that were not designed for arcade machines?  I'm sure an electronic component supplier must sell metal switches that would do the same job (may not 'feel' the same as an arcade button tho).  Although if they have to be exactly the same size (ie to fit your control panel) this may be a problem.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2002, 10:45:17 am »

How about trying some buttons (switches) that were not designed for arcade machines?  I'm sure an electronic component supplier must sell metal switches that would do the same job (may not 'feel' the same as an arcade button tho).  Although if they have to be exactly the same size (ie to fit your control panel) this may be a problem.

Why not just have your controls chrome plated?  Then you would be touching metal.  :)

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2002, 11:01:23 am »
How do you chrome plate plastic?

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2002, 11:32:28 am »
How about rubber (something pretty easy to cover)

I've never heard of a joystick that wasn't plastic.  

You might also want to look into real general solutions.  You can metal coat almost any object with pretty simple equipment at home (I only know of the gold example... but I believe you can do it with almost any metal).  You might experiment with different plastic items.   You might find that you can cover plastic with a hard resin of some kind and cover that with metal.

good luck....

Also, if you aren't allergic to silicon... you might try wrapping a condom over it... funny... might bother some people (but they won't be able to pull off super uppercuts as easy if they are grossed out by the joystick).   You could always go lamb skin... but those are expensive and might start to smell....

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2002, 11:58:37 am »

Also, if you aren't allergic to silicon... you might try wrapping a condom over it... funny... might bother some people (but they won't be able to pull off super uppercuts as easy if they are grossed out by the joystick).   You could always go lamb skin... but those are expensive and might start to smell....

HA! that's a super creative and funny solution.. although aren't most condom's latex (then just wearing latex gloves while playing work, no... depending on this chap's allergy to latex)  Just be sure to get the non lubricated kind, and the ones without the spermicide =P

In all seriousness though, I do hope the original poster finds a way to game without the allergy kickin in...

rampy

jerryjanis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2023, 01:56:44 am
  • Skate or Die!!!
    • Jake's Joystick
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2002, 12:15:53 pm »
Perhaps I'm oversimplifying, but it seems to me that the buttons would be an easy thing to fix...  You want a surface made of nickel?  What about glueing a nickel to the to top of the button?  (Or maybe there is some other metal disc that would be lighter/more appropriate.)

I like quick and dirty fixes - I was never one for aesthetics like most of you guys seem to be so good with.

It might be a good temporary fix at least while you get busy melting all of your spare buttons trying to coat them in metal.

kgriffin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2002, 02:11:24 pm
  • I look nothing like Brad Pitt!
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2002, 12:25:15 pm »
aluminum foil, my man...

Very light, very pliable and easy to manipulate

Dink

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2002, 12:27:32 pm »
I'd find a way to replace the plastic joystick handle with a  carved wooden handle.  Shouldn't be to hard if the knob comes off by unscrewing.  If it doesn't unscrew, chop it off and epoxy a wood one on.  You could use the handles from a foosball table, easily ordered.

For the buttons, I'd cover them with tape, either electrical, duct, or masking tape, whichever one didn't bother you.  With some creative cuts with an exacto knife most would be covered and would still operate fully.

Just my dumb, low budget ideas.

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2002, 02:22:03 pm »
trouble with wood is that you can only really screw them in.

many of the metal shafts have a little channel around the top... then they mold the plastic around that (so the plastic goes into the channel).  If this is the case, I can't think of a good solution for the wood.  (maybe just a bunch of glue would do..)

mw

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2002, 05:33:23 pm »
How about spray painting with Krylon or Rust-o-leum ?

nullb0y

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2023, 04:37:32 pm
  • Who wants some?
    • antinull
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2002, 06:11:54 pm »
ok heres the easyest but a bit sticky way of solving 8ur problem go buy 8 packs of jucy fruit or any silver plated wreaper gum hen scrape the metal off its sticky on one side the rub it onto your buttons i have silver plated manythings as such but it will be stucky if u dont wash ur havnds lot while doing it yes i was the only kid on my block with a silver snes muhuhahaha the silver snes will own u!!!!!
\
oh wait i broke it lol
Alright. Who wants some? Who's next? Huh? How 'bout it? Who wants some? Huh? Who wants to have a little? You.
  You want some more? Huuuh? You want a little? Do ya? Huh? You want some more? Huh? Huh? Hh!

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2002, 08:01:31 pm »

How do you chrome plate plastic?

you haven;t been on a non-amaerican motorcycle before, huh.  most of the chrom on my yamaha is chromed plastic.  It's still plastic though.

Could RXL coat the buttons with an enamel or nail polish?might have to sand the button a little bit first but enamel would protect.

JustMichael

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2002, 09:09:48 pm »
RKL,  they do make this liquid rubber stuff for dipping tool handles into to rubber coat them.  If you aren't allergic to it perhaps you could dip the joystick handles and paint most of the buttons with the rubber stuff?  It does seem quite durable to me (on tools anyway).

sirhcman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2008, 01:50:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2002, 12:36:43 am »
Stupid question but if you are using a keyboard wont that irritate your hands as well??!