Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: s-video to scart?  (Read 2247 times)

Trillian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2004, 11:17:54 am
  • I will take the ring, though I do not know the way
s-video to scart?
« on: August 18, 2004, 04:56:12 pm »
Hi,
first a big hello to all of u!
I have a little question ;-)
I wanna built my own Mame Arcade Machine and want to use one of my 2 TVs for the project.
Unfortunatly none of the 2 does have a  s-video entrance(or however its called(sorry, I am german ;-))
Now i found a little thing on ebay, that allows me to put teh  s-video cable into a scart thingy, which then would fit nicely into my TV.
Would the picture be bad with such a thing, I mean, has anyone tried it and does it look allright on the TV then(the picture)?
Thanx for ur help!
Till soon ;-)

Here is the link to the scart thingy:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11394&item=5714329487&rd=1
alternativly i found this:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11394&item=5714329275&rd=1

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
Re: s-video to scart?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 07:13:44 pm »
I think the picture would be OK (same or very slightly worse than standard S-video > S-video TV).

To be honest I am not massively impressed with S-video in general, it certainly won't be anywhere near as good as RGB via Scart, if you are used to that.  You might want to consider an ArcadeVGA card, which you can wire up to a Scart plug using RGB - the quality is *exactly* the same as with an arcade monitor... :)

Trillian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 11:22:38 am »
Ok, but that is something for the future due to money lack ;-)
I want to be able to play normal PC Games aswell on it and watch TV.Would the Arcade VGA card be good for that aswell?
Thanx for ur help!

Trillian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 02:00:37 am »
I want to be able to play normal PC Games aswell on it and watch TV.Would the Arcade VGA card be good for that aswell?

Does anyone else know the answer?

seibu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2007, 12:55:34 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 08:31:58 am »
The Arcade VGA will allow you to display Windows on a TV through RGB SCART, so it will be able to play most PC games as long as they don't insist on running in a resolution above 640x480.

It will in no way prevent the TV from showing normal TV programmes. If you want to watch TV through the PC you will of course need a TV card of some description.

b3atmania

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2005, 09:48:57 am
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 02:17:48 pm »

Before buying a S-video to SCART adapter check if your TV actually supports S-video via SCART. S-video input is not mandatory to implement on SCART terminals. Many sets don't support it.